1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stealing From Stores.

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lets say that 20 years prior to a person accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour a person has stolen stuff from different stores. Now that they have been born again, even if it is twenty years later, should they return to the store and offer to pay for the goods?

What about if the store has changed owners, should they try to find the original owner and repay them?

Or is it a case of a forgiven sin is a forgotten sin?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's an interesting question.

I would say, tell the person to go as God is leading them. If they're convicted/convinced that they need to take care of this, then by all means, try to take care of it.

3. bar_elohim

bar_elohim New Member

I agree Don. "They that are led of the spirit are the true children of God!"

Even in the AA program, which is a God given program, with God given principles. This making amends has a qualification, which is not to, if in doing so would make the matter worse or cause further hurt.

In Him

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Being forgiven by God doesn't absolve you of your social responsibility.
    If it's that long ago + numerous places with possible changed ownership repay the money via the offering plate at church and let God handle it. [​IMG]
    Also, if you're thinking about it then it needs to be done for your own peace, however you decide to make up for it.
    Gina

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Well said Gina!

Sherrie

6. Charlotte Marcel

Charlotte Marcel New Member

I don't know. Couldn't you be thrown in jail for stealing? I don't know how old a crime has to be before they can't convict you for doing it. Somthing to think about. Are you considering this to absolve yourself from having to live with the guilt or to make amends? both?

Sorry, I'm no help am I? Better take it to the Lord in prayer. Only He can really give you a peace about the answer.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Statute of limitations on that is probably well over. Usually for smaller things it's anywhere from 3-6-15 years. Ohio is probably the strictest. You can look at someone crosseyed when you're 18 and get slapped for it when you're 30.
    Gina

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think I would let God take care of possible lawsuits (and if I go to jail, I go). When God shows you your sin and you find it within your hand to do right or make it right, then I would do it.

If someone came to our clinic and told us they stole something 10 years ago and wanted to make it right, I would be THRILLED to help them clear their conscience. Never would think of a lawsuit!

Just think of God smiling . . . [​IMG]

9. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as Jacob had to return and make things right with Esau, so must you and I go back and make things right with those whom we've wronged.

We must remove all of the Esaus in our life to have a conscience void of offense.
    Acts 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men. (KJV)

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thinking back on it I remember a fellow who accepted Jesus as his Lord and Saviour at the Salvation Army corps I went to. He had assulted somebody in another state and they had been hospitalised as a result. He had fled bail. The church counselled him to return. He was taken into custody and charged. The judge let him off on a bond, and he is now a Salvation Army officer. Everyone would have to admit that he was right to go back and face up to it. I suppose really the same for shoplifting.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Let us know if we need to send you a "Get out of Jail Free" card just in case. :eek:
    Gina

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Lets say that 20 years prior to a person accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour a person has stolen stuff from different stores. Now that they have been born again, even if it is twenty years later, should they return to the store and offer to pay for the goods?

Is required to? No.

Should? Yes. Repaying a debt or damage caused by your actions is always the appropriate and Christian thing to do. It's not about being forgiven, it's about being responsible for one's actions.

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Depends on what they stole.

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

:confused: :confused: Why? :confused: :confused:

15. Loren B

Loren B New Member

With few exceptions, it is never too late to right a wrong.

16. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

As far as Zaccheus is concerned. He offered to make ammends; no one, not even Jesus, told him to do this. I'm not saying it is wrong to go back and make things right. I'm only saying that Jesus did not command Zaccheus to right old wrongs.

(edited for spelling)

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The OT states that A thief must certainly make restitution... (Exodus 22:3).

Moreso, the OT also says one must not only pay restitution, but is subject to punitive damages as well: If the stolen animal is found alive in his possession... he must pay back double. Exodus 22:4

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

John,
    This happened in the New Testament. The rules are different.

19. archie

archie New Member

Some things can be made right . Some cant. I believe we should do as the Holy Spirit leads us. Just my opinion.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't see restitution being negated in the NT. The NT issue deals with forgiveness, but not restitution. The law recognizes that, even if you're sorry for committing an act of theft, and even if you're not criminally charged with a criminal act, you're still civilly liable for the damages your act caused.