1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

STEELERS WIN!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by JackRUS, Feb 6, 2006.

1. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Now it's off to my cardiologist! [​IMG]

2. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Congrats to the Steelers and their fans!

I was sorely disappointed in Holmgren's play calling in the second half. I got the feeling he was trying to out coach Cowher and cost the NFL a more exciting game.

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We'll never hear the end of it now.
    Na na na na na, we won and you didn't.
    Ugh.

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

No doubt, the best team won!

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A long the lines as I posted re the College Championships, in Football and basketball, the NFL team that plays the best for the entire sixty minutes (or 60+ minutes in overtimes) always wins in pro football absent a 'fix'. No doubt, last night that was the Steelers.
    Ed

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listening to ESPN radio the "neutral" commentators were bemoaning 2 huge calls that were not good that changed the game. They said it is too bad that two TD's of the seahawks were called back for "phantom" holding. One WAS holding (had a neck clothesline on a rusher and obvious).

Not talking about the phantom TD on 3rd and goal that the ball (from every angle) was shown not to have touched the goal line. Demoralizes a good defense who stops 3 times inside the 2 and then have the refs give it away.

(These are NOT pro-seahawk fans - you'd expect whining. These are big name reputable ESPN men)

Even Madden said on TV during the game that such a call without any basis "ruined" the game. Think he will get in trouble for that.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I don't have a lot of use for the geniuses at ESPN, including Mike and Mike (which I assume is who you're referring to.) About the only guys who provide anything other than filler on either ESPN TV or Radio are Chris Mortenson and Dan Patrick.

9. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

Lets see we beat the Number 3 seed AFC the number 2 seed AFC the Number I seed AFC then the Number 1 seed in the NFC .Wow we must be pretty good huh ?

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Click this on and find out:

http://steelers.com/index.cfm

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After 40 Super Bowls, if we give an A, B, C, or D to each quarter (10), this one would probably go down with the D's. Neither team was "on its game," and Pittsburgh got more breaks, both by chance and by officials.

It's strange in the NFL, how if Indianapolis had pulled out a win, which they may well have done if that guy with the fumble recovery had moved outside instead of inside where Rotheisberger shoestrung him, that they would likely be acclaimed one the great teams of all time, as I'm certain they could have beaten Denver and Seattle. And their failure to go 19-0 would be attributed to the head coach's and the team's state of mind, with his son's sudden death. Instead the #6 seed in the AFC came on strong and beat the NFC's #1 seed in a lackluster game, reinforcing the image that in the NFL greatness, per se, is virtually unallowed.

12. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

After 40 Super Bowls all I know is we have FIVE of them !It wasn;t a D .It was a W !

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a dirty, dastardly loss, but a weird, wacky win? OK.

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I wanted the Seahawks to win, but the Steelers won hands down.

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have to agree, Dr. Bob. We missionaries had our annual Super Bowl Party on Monday moring (watching the game live while you poor guys were in church). Neither one of us were Seahawk or Steeler fans--just enjoyed the game. But we both thought the reffing was lousy and pretty much anti-Seahawks.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It started at midnight here so we watched a tape yesterday morning. Worst NFL game I have seen in years.

I didn't care who won, but found the officiating horrendous. It did seem anti-Seattle.

What was the illegal block call against Hasselbeck after he threw the interception?

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I just finished watching the first half last night and this morning and can't comment about the Hasselbeck call. Boomer Esiason on radio thought the call was terrible. I haven't seen it yet to comment. Here are some questions I have about the first half.

What was the official thinking to award the TD to Roethlisberger? There's no way in the world he saw the ball cross the plane of the goal line. I think it did, but that's only after watching the replay over and over. How do you see that at speed?

What was up with Seattle botching the drive at the end of the first half? Why did they run the ball, then take over 20 seconds to get the play in? Why did the Steelers call a timeout at that moment and let the Hawks off the hook? Why did Seattle leave a timeout on the table? Both coaches made questionable decisions there, but I truly don't understand what Holmgren was thinking about at the end of the first half.

The AFC may have better teams overall, but the NFC teams need to learn something about clock management. This is the 2nd straight Super Bowl where the NFC team botched time management. Last year, the Iggles took their own sweet time in scoring a TD in the 4th quarter, then had no time left to get the final score.

I don't even need to see the 2nd half to say that, overall, the officiating in the playoffs has been horrible. The Colts-Steelers game, Pats-Broncos game, the Super Bowl, all of these games had terrible calls that should never have been made.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hasselbeck was called for an illegal block when he tackled the defender who intercepted his pass.

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I didn't see that many "bad" calls, and only one that would have made a difference in score, and then not enough to change the outcome of the game.

You have to understand that on the one inch touchdown call, if the replay is inconclusive, the call stands; if the call is inconclusive, it favors the offense.

The only really "bad" call that I saw was when the qb was called for blocking below the knees; he was going in for the tackle, and that should not have been called.

Now, there were some borderline calls that I might not have called, but they weren't "bad" calls.

20. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

The illegial block was a block below the waist as he dove for Ike Taylor he chop blocked Carter the Steeler safety. Good call.

And the calls seemed to go against Seattle because they were holding on every play and were hoping that the NFL would call the game like the old NHL.

One bad call that wasn't made that I don't hear about from the whiners in Seattle was the illegal pick in the end zone against Polamalu on their only touchdown.

And as for Big Ben's touchdown, it was a touchdown:

http://www.camcojb.com/sbXVtd.jpg

That's right folks, only the nose of the ball has to cross any part of the white line which is considered the end zone for it to be a touchdown.

You can mail your apologies to the refs C/O the NFL.

The Steelers won because they made the big plays ans Seattle didn't. Championship teams rise above even poor officiating to win much like the Steelers did against the Colts. And they don't whine when they lose. Especially when it's by double digits.