1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stem cell breakthrough could make ethical debate moot

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Palatka51, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 | by Michael Foust

WASHINGTON (BP)--A bill that would drastically expand federal funding for embryonic stem cell research has been re-introduced in the Senate, but British and Canadian researchers announced a scientific breakthrough March 2 that could change the course of stem cell research and eventually make the ethical debate moot.

As detailed in the research journal Nature, the researchers found a safer way to reprogram ordinary human skin cells into embryonic-like stem cells. While a 2007 study by Japanese and American researchers did something very similar, the British and Canadian researchers did it without the use of a virus, which the '07 teams had used to complete the process. Researchers feared the use of viruses to turn the skin cells into the stem cells could cause cancer in patients.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This will never even begin to stop the push for embryonic stem cell research. I'm convinced that the cure for every know disease could be found and the anti-life crowd in Washington would still be pressing for embryonic stem cell research.

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The crowd in Washington is not anti-life but pro-life. The objective is to find cures for diseases that we currently can't treat. Is that abti-life? If you think so you're wrong. If this break through is real then we can do that without using adult stem cells. That would be great because it will further the research to extend life (pro-life).

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Anti life is when you believe it is ok to murder a child in order to do research. even animals are better protected in this country then children are.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Looks to me like God is expanding man's understanding and knowledge to the place where embryonic stem won't be needed. Why do you doubt the ability of our creator? He gave us penicillin from mold so I am sure he can eliminate the use of embryo's.

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: "Hey, I know, if I believe it's OK to kill about 60 million babies so I won't have to die of cancer when I'm 85, that means I'm pro-life.....pro-mylife."

The hoops some people will jump through to soothe the conscience.

peace to you:praying:

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

That, LB, is the brightest thing you have posted sense November. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The problem is that the Pharmaceuticals want to create a bank for embryonic cells for access when needed, creating a source of profit for them. When adult stem cells are showing promise no bank is needed, as you are the walking bank the profits of maintaining a embryonic bank will be lost.

In every thing in this old world one should follow the money. The love of it is indeed the source of all evil, even abortion.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Let's pray the Lord advances this knowledge to where their investments in embryo's will be unnecessary. Seeing this article let's me know God is still in control... :thumbsup:

10. targus

targus New Member

Actually it's already unnecessary and has been for some time. Cord blood can provide the materials for the same research.

God's control ends where man's sin begins because He gave man free choice.

BTW - I notice that you see to be saying that "investments in embryos" are necessary since by logic something is necessary before it can become unnecessary.

So then you think that killing embryos is "necessary"?

#10 targus, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009