1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Stepping up

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Oh, I see, another one of those :eek:

[​IMG]

Just kidding :laugh: :wavey:

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is somewhat different.I am scouting out the landscape....and the culture...haha....

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Preach Tony mentioned North Alabama, if thats the area you are in, would Jeff Noblit's church (http://www.gracelifeshoals.org/) be within driving distance?

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GA.....have been to about 8 so far. One church I was banking on recently had the Pastor step down for family reasons...so now we are surveying the landscape

I am taking time trying to find where the Lord will be able to use us the most. There are many churches that need help...or something to happen....

the last church I was in...had seating for 300-500 people....18-20 were there counting my wife and I :tear:

In each church...perhaps because of the warm weather we find more than half the members are 70 or above...we find few young couples with children...so even if these saints are being faithful to an extent.....the energy level and ability might have "waned" a bit......no wonder they are hooked on SWEET TEA ...trying to get a sugar rush to keep the blood flowing:laugh:

The locals at the yarn shop are giving my wife a tutorial on brewing the sweet tea putting tea in the window sill on a hot day:laugh:

This undoubtly tries to neutralize the sluggishness brought on by ingesting copious amounts of biscuits and gravy

I am laying low observing what is taking place..trying to get a temperature reading in each place and seeing what is the normal pattern of the people and then I will seek to meet with the leadership for more in depth discussion.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Churches rise and fall in membership quite often. Certain parts of Georgia are rather transitory, all things considered, and have people constantly moving in and out of the area. Thankfully the down trend is not evident in every church. A preacher brother of mine recently became Pastor of a local church that had recently split. He told me they had 5 members on his first Sunday. I visited him about a year after he had taken the church and they had nearly 30, so the church was growing.

One trend I've noticed is that the smaller churches are suffering the influx of the corporate megachurch that has a main campus and several satellite campuses (campi?). Church stopped being about soul-winning and soul-feeding, and became a social function. Not everyone is that way, but for some there is a certain level of pride in what campus they attend.

Personally, I don't approve of the idea of one man acting as under-shepherd for five or six different flocks, especially when those flocks are so big he requires a massive staff to help him simply keep appointments. But that's just my two cents... Give me the smaller church any day of the week over the megachurch.

Hey, don't knock the sweet tea, man. :smilewinkgrin:
    I've found the best method for sweet tea involves making the tea with whatever amount of sugar you prefer, and then allowing it to set for at least 12 hours before drinking it.

I pray you find somewhere you will feel at home.