1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stereotypes women hate

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by El_Guero, Dec 31, 2004.

1. 5xBlessed

5xBlessed New Member

A lot of the above first came to mind when I read the question.

We all love to shop.
    We love to gossip.
    If we're upset we have PMS.
    We love romance novels. Blech!
    We're always running late because we have to "put our face on" or do our hair or whatever.

Lucy

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Keep the stereotypes coming ...

One thing that I have noticed so far, ladies can answer a question to women better than a man can ...

... I guess the women read the question ...

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife drives mindlessly. I look ahead and see "Don't Walk" flash on. I speed to the intersection, knowing there is only 5 seconds until yellow.

The wife maintains speed, blissfully unaware of the RACE with the evil traffic light. She is stopped. I would win.

Why can't a woman be more like a man?

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Dr. Bob.

Are you a lady?

The topic was addressed to the women and the topic is: Stereotypes women hate.

5. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

[​IMG] OMIGOSH ROFLOL [​IMG]

Too many 'woman drivers' here! :D

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Lucy, I HATE to shop. Hubby does it for me.
    I do not listen to or engage in gossip.
    I've never had PMS and menopause isn't bad either.
    I do NOT like romance novels.
    I am only late when my fellas make me late. I'm dressed and ready for church hours before they are!

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

She's upset with you Bob. Must be that time...
    Gina

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

She? Are you SURE, Gina?

La palabra "guero" no está en el Diccionario.

A looser translation might be 'he warrior'. pron pers él: he is my brother, (él) es mi hermano
    frml he who..., el que...

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Then might I ask he stay out of this thread? :eek: :D
    Gina

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I hate that, no matter what someone has done or said they are totally innocent because you have pms, it's a mans way of not accepting responsability.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Gina,

I started the thread so that as a Preacher, I might better understand the 60% of our churches that are of the Female Gender.

I take the delivery of God's Word from Him through me to His audience seriously enough to consider my audience's needs important.

I am learning alot.

BTW
    El Güero is often translated the Blonde Man ... the Official Dictionary definition follows:
    1. adj. Méx. Dicho de una persona: Que tiene los cabellos rubios. U. t. c. s.

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

El Guero, The biggest thing to understand about women is that we are ALL different. There aren't many of us that fit the "helpless women who can't do anything without a man" label. Even those who seem to fit it can probably do much more than they let on.

Most of us end up knowing a lot of things our mothers didn't for the simple reason that our men(if we have one) don't do things the way our father's did. My father didn't even treat me the way he treated my mother. Mother didn't put gas in her own car but I was outside handing Dad the wrenches when the car needed fixing. Btw, Mother could pump gas and just never had to.

Personally, I find all the steriotypes about women to be amusing. I love the look on the car guys face when I tell him what's wrong with the car and it turns out I'm right. The guy I use doesn't argue with me anymore. :D

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright...I'll help you out here if you'll listen to me.

Do you want to know a woman's most precious need?

It's security . We just want to know that everything is going to be OK even in the worst of times.

That's why it sometimes appears that women can be "nagging". We sometimes don't feel secure in certain individual situations and even whole relationships and we are quite good at telling people how to fix it. Perhaps the next time a man feels irritated by a "nagging" woman, he should ask himself, "What can I do, right now, to make her feel more secure in my ability to keep her spirit at peace?"

Security is also why sex means something different to a woman that it does to a man. Not more or less important, just different.

When a man is unfaithful, he may tell his wife in all honesty that it "meant nothing". And perhaps to him it truly did not. But to her, because sex with her husband is a source of great security and every touch and every kiss is evidence to her of his love for her which leads to more confidence, his infidelity means a complete nuclear melt down of that feeling of peace and safety in her spirit. And she may never regain it.

That's also why women need to be touched in non-sexual ways many times a day. A holding of the hands, a caress of the face....That brings much emotional security to a woman.

We need to feel secure that our children and families will be alright. That's why we might obsess sometimes over financial issues and have the fight of the century with our husbands over it. It's not that we want a new Mercedes. Well, sometimes it is, but we just don't want our children to go lacking or to suffer needlessly. True, some women are golddiggers, but most women who go after a man with a decent living is not for greed's sake, but for peace of mind for an immediate and a future family.

A man has a very tender ego . And I don't mean that in a conceitful manner. I mean that his basic needs come from a place of needing to know that he is important in his wife's eyes. That she needs him. That she wants him. That she respects him. His feelings can get very hurt, very easily.

But a woman has a very fragile heart . Our sense of wellbeing comes from knowing that the men in our lives love us enough to take care of all of our most basic needs of security. We can become emotionally fearful very quickly. And that place of emotional fear brings about unhappy women which leads to unhappy relationships.

Is he looking at other women?
    Does he love the children like I do?
    Is he happy with me?
    Will he leave me?
    After having these babies, am I still what he wants?
    Does he value or even acknowledge my gifts, talents and interests?
    Will he compromise for me as much as I have had to compromise for him?
    Doe he even understand what I am talking about?
    Does he still love me?

Now, I know that you are not married to your congregation. But now that you know how important security is to a woman, you can relate that to how you preach to them. They need to know that God loves them tremendously.

They need to know that women were not created as an afterthought or because they are secondary to a man.

They need to know that women are not a man's assistant or man's possession.

They need to know that God has important work for them to do and it may include raising children and tending to a husband and it may NOT. It may include a wide variety of areas.

We, as women, need to feel secure in the fact that we are important to our men, our families, the church, the community, the world, but most importantly that we mean something precious in God's eyes.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Print out what Scarlett said. It's a keeper.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Kudos to you for doing this! [​IMG] I am glad to know about a preacher who wants to be sensitive to the women in his church.

I'll add to what I said already:
    1. I love intellectual stimulation and conversation, especially about theological topics; I do not like to talk about domestic stuff
    2. I don't know why churches always offer crafts for women at retreats or whatever. I hate crafts!!!

In many ways, I am very female -- like to have my hair right and can obsess about it, am relationship oriented, like to have someone listen to my problems (not tell me what to do), I love earrings and purses, etc.

I'm with the other women here who do not read romance novels. Muder mysteries are my cup of tea. [​IMG]

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

You could just say, don't sterotype women, they don't like it, and it usually isn't true, or at least not true of all women like it is supose to be. Why would anyone assume stereotypes are true anyway, women sit around the house all day doing nothing eating bonbons, gossiping on the phone reading romance novels and having pms.

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ladies,

Keep up the knowledge transfer.
    This started to see how to better speak for the Holy spirit to the women in the congregation, but, I feel that there may be a sermon in the works for men and how WE MUST relate better to women.

Some of the stereotypes are laughable. Some are sad.

But, women seem to take the stereotypes to heart more than men would (Just a hunch IMHO).

Wayne

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The business world has recognized this for a long time because there are so many in the workplace.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

You bet we do becasue stereotypes generally portray us being dumb with constant pms, and men believe them, which shows some of them don't know their wives as well as they think they do.
    Years ago when my grandmother was still alive she moved from Chicago to Ky and was amazed I could put a quart of oil in my own car. I guess women in her day didn't. Most women are not helpless, and for the ones who act it it is usually mostly put on, after all men are happier that way thinking they are supreme and little wiffy can't do anything without them.
    My husband wants me to be able to take care of things and be independant. After his dad died his mom didn't knnow what to do, he had always paid the bills went to the grocery took care of everything, she was blissfully ignorant. Still today her daughters take care of her, take her shopping(they just won't teach her how to shop for food for her diabettes) they even buy her christmas gifts for her, pay her bills.

20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist