1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stodgy Music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Craigbythesea, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

A friend of mine is an associate pastor of a Baptist church that is dying (most of the members are 75+ years old) and the congregation now numbers about 50 rather than 1,500 as it did in its prime. This associate pastor believes that the stodgy style of worship is the primary cause of the church’s demise. I have visited his church several times and I believe that the stodgy music is a significant hindrance to the growth of the church, but that the ineptitude of the pastor in pastoring is the primary cause. What effect on the growth of your church have you seen the style of music have? And what effect on the spiritual growth of your church have you seen the style of music have?

[​IMG]

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What is "stodgy music"?

If a church changes its style of music and grows significantly, we should be questioning what kind of growth it is. When you hit your head, your head grows a knot, but it is not good growth. You can twist your ankle on a curb and it will get bigger, but that is not growth. It is entirely possible (and even probably in many cases) that music is not "growing" a church, but rather causing it to swell and indicating a serious sickness in the body.

That is not a plea for any particular type of music, but rather a plea to examine real reason behind church growth, and real definitions for church growth. Getting bigger is not always growth.

I am inclined to believe that ineffective pastoring is a bigger cause for lack of growth.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Agree with Pastor Larry. What does Paul discuss more in his epistles - qualities of pastoral leadership or styles of music?