1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stop misrepresenting my view!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

First, it is not your battle, so butt out.

Second, I asked in the form of a question, and did not make a statement. That would indicate that I was waiting a response from the poster to clarify the statement.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe man is born in a state of separation in regards to the flesh not spirit. We are by nature (sin nature) at enmity with God, but we become sinners (aptly defined as one who sins) when we do just that...sin, in the same manner Adam, Eve and every other human sans Christ has. I take James 1:15, Ezekiel 18:20, Romans 7:9, Ephesians 2:1 among many other as being literal unlike most Augustinians who take a handful of non literal Psalms or other vague passages dealing with death as being created dead sinners literally.

#82 webdog, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

First, this is a public forum, so if you do not like others commenting on your error, don't let the good Lord hit ya where He split ya.

Second, your "form of a question" is implied as being a statement. This is what's referred to as a non sequitur. YOU just came out in recent days stating this very line of questioning happens too much around here...and you do just that. Hypocrite.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

So, let's clarify... Would you say that newborn infants are in a state of innocence until the point at which they actually commit some known sin?

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Fine, contribute in your own special way. You do often and it is noted by all...

And, I actually DID ask my question AS A QUESTION. I was looking for an answer. I asked you a question above and hope that you will give an answer. If I did not wish to ask a question, I am fully capable of writing a statement as I just have.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've clarified this ad nauseum, no they are not "innocent" (as Abimilech was not truly innocent in taking Abraham's wife as his own), they are as we are when we stand before the Lord today...not guilty. Unlike the calvinist understanding of the atonement where Christ died ONLY for the elect, I see it much broader to include the defeat over sin, death and the curse universally. True innocence dies in the fall and will be restored when we shed this flesh.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

True questions are posed when there is a desire to learn. Your question does not directly stem from anything that was said, hence your alleged "question" is nothing more than the desire to stir up mud. Sorry, not buying the sincerity in your "question".

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I fail to see a difference...

Not innocent, so there is some sin nature implicit and imputed in even newborn infants, yet "not guilty." Could you explain further how that works and where it says so in Scripture?

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Oh, I have a GREAT desire to learn, but what I desire to learn may not be precisely what the other individual attempts to teach.

10. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

What have I ever said that you lead you to this conclusion? Was it when I talked about my brother and my best friend being Calvinistic and how I loved them, worshipped with them and went on mission with them? Was it when I defended Calvin as a theological genius? Was it when I corrected non-Cals here for implying Cals may not be as evangelistic? Was it when I provided quotes from Calvin, MacArthur and Piper showing that many classic and modern day Cals do support the concept that God really loves all mankind and desires for them to be saved? Was it my response to Aaron and other Cals a while back (where they accused our gospel of being a false gospel and Calvinism being the only true gospel) and I responded by showing our essential elements of unity and that there was no need for this type of rhetoric?

I'm just wondering what I've done to earn this accusation Fredrick?

I'll respond to your other points in the next post. I want this one to stand alone.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then that's on you. Sin is a conscious violation of God's law.

Did already with my paraphrase of Ephesians 2:3 and the host of other Scriptures I posted that states implicitly when we die spiritually.

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I am working to draw you out in clarification on some points. When it is expedient and you think you can slide in a slight againt Calvinists, you do. When called on that slight you quickly remind us of your great love for Calvinists and for Calvin.

So, which is it? Be consistent and truthful here and stop your Calvinist hunting if you actually have that great love that you now profess.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I am still confused as to your actual stance. How is one not innocent but also not guilty at the same time?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can you be confused on such a trivial stance that is primary to our faith? Are you in any way innocent? Did Christ's blood cover you making you judicially not guilty in front of the Father? You fail to see the difference :confused:

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I see lots of differences. I am asking you to clarify your own.

Are you saying that Christ's blood was "universal" to make infants "not guilty" even before they can make their own profession of faith?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If we were in a court of law my attorney would object "asked and answered". Christ's blood defeated sin, death and the curse. They are not guilty of violating God's law (James 1:15 deals with WHEN and HOW one dies spiritually in such a clear manner I don't understand how anyone can hold to Augutine's error).

17. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

No, I'm arguing that it begs the question to assume divine sovereignty must be defined as Calvinistic determinism defines it. That is the point up for debate after all.

I personally believe He is SO VERY SOVEREIGN that He is able to accomplish His ultimate purposes and plans without having to 'play both sides of the chess board,' so to speak.

Well, one human-logic perspective deserves another. :)
    Do you mean like when God, not just Satan, actually said, " "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil." Yet, you used that same phrase when quoted by Satan to imply that he was using Arminianism to deceive people.
    My thoughts exactly. Now, if we could only agree on a definition of divine sovereignty.

And the scriptures show how we are to love God and hate our parents, but in the same manner we also know we are told to love and honor our parents. Contradiction? No more so than all the verses which speak of God's love for all people and the proof texts you are referring to regarding His 'hatred.'

That was not my argument. My argument was that your view, IF WRONG, is more damaging that my view, IF WRONG.

Does this question begging and ad hominem rhetoric really help? It only serves to inflame and is not helpful to our discussion.

Ok, where to start on this one? First, please show me what is in the baptist faith in message that I have contradicted. And then show me where I've said I "like" the label? I've used it in the same manner many here use the label Calvinist...its just a simplified defining term to point out a key soterilogical difference.

When you publish your first systematic theology then you can talk, otherwise you've done no more or less than I've done throughout the history on this board. I've made plenty of positive affirmations of my beliefs on various doctrines, scriptures and views. You'd have to be blind to miss them...in fact I just presented a thread on Romans 9 yesterday, which wasn't the first time.

Only if you quote them out of context, fail to link or credit their quotes and then called them heretical. If you want to officially report a rule violation (like heresy) you need to push the red report button and not attempt to do it publicly.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I am asking you very plainly to state very plainly if Christ's blood is shed for all infants so that if they die before they sin "intentionally" that they go to heaven becasue of the blood of Christ shed for them.

I will ask a followup question, "Are you saying that Augustine is "heretical and heterodox" and that we dare not follow his teaching, or are you just saying that he made a few errors in doctrine here and there? I'm asking because SO MANY people in the church (generic) down through the ages have found Augustines teaching to be well within the bounds of Scripture.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I believe all infants are covered.
    No, he is not a heretic and I never hinted at that...like the majority of modern day believers, I believe he is wrong on the oxymoron known as being created "dead".

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.