1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stopping Pop-Ups?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This past week, no matter what page I pull up on the Internet, an ad pops up to install Macromedia Flash Player. I have to wait for the ad to load, close it and then wait for the page to load.

Is there a FREE program to stop these pop-ups that won't slow my computer down or cause other problems?

Thanks,
    [​IMG] §ue

2. Dina

Dina New Member

Sue, most likely you are visiting a site that has some flash ware on it, and in order for you to view/interact with it, the player needs to be installed. Then every once in a while when Flash uprades, you will have to install an update as the programer of that site is using a newer version of Flash that what your reader is.

On the other hand, the google toolbar is great for stopping pop-ups. Not sure that it will stop the Flash one as it not considered an ad, but a performance upgrade to read the page.

3. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

Sue, usually the Macromedia Flash Player install only comes up when you go to a site that has a flash file being used on the site. Without the Flash Player you will not be able to view the flash file used on the site.

Sometimes, if you already have the "Macromedia Flash Player" on your computer, it might prompt you because you may need to update your MFP. This is the only reason I can think it is happening to you so often.

Flash is the hottest thing going on in web designing today. I believe someday all sites will use this instead of HTML files.

GB

4. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

Dina, you must be in north Florida since your answer got to Sue first!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Dina

Dina New Member

I guess I should change my profile to say Northern Fl. instead of Fl, just to make it clear. :D

Yes, I am in Jax. [​IMG]

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...Dina, you are aware that Google toolbar 2.0 records your web browsing, and automatically updates itself (running the risk of screwing up your system if the new update isn't compatible with your computer)?

Sue, I'd really consider letting the Flash update install. You'll get a better version of Flash, and you'll stop getting the advertisement.

7. Dina

Dina New Member

Yes, I am aware of that and that it also has an option to clear the history as well as an option to turn of recording the search history.
    As far is it becoming incompatible with the computer, not sure how that would happen??? I'm running a pretty popular version.

8. I Am Blessed 24

Thanks to all who answered.

Dina: Every computer already has a built-in feature so history is not saved and/or erased, depending on the settings.

Don: I guess I will have to install it. I already have a flash player installed but can't remember the name of it.

I am trying not to download or install anything because I am almost out of space (and can't afford a new computer until after Christmas).

I usually get this pop-up when surfing 'news' sites. I don't see anything that I can't view on the pages without a flash, but I will install it just to stop the annoying ads!

Blessings,
    [​IMG] §ue

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dina, on a newer computer (within the last six months or so), it wouldn't be a problem.

It could cause a problem for those people with older computers.

I'll have to check out the latest version of the Google Toolbar again; the reports I've read on version 2.0 stated that you're not allowed to turn off the autoupdate option.

10. True Blue Tuna

True Blue Tuna New Member

In general, it sounds like you're visiting sites that require Macromedia to experience the full "effect" of the website.

If you're interested in stopping popups, the Google toolbar will do that. The great folks who make the google.com search engine have a toolbar that shuts down popups. It's way cool.

Here you go:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

11. True Blue Tuna

True Blue Tuna New Member

Well, to be honest, the toolbar records but does not user-identify, the browsing. There is a difference. And, of course, you can opt out of that portion of the Google Toolbar. If you decide to opt out, the pop-up blocking will still work.

This is good advice. Flash is very common, and you might even like the results.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it does user identify (although not by your name). It identifies by your specific computer through the unique ID number that's inserted into the cookie that's placed on your computer.

As for opting out, you can opt out of the info-sharing portion; I can find no way (in version 2.0) to opt out of the automatic updates.

This is from Google's privacy statement:
    Periodically, the Google Toolbar contacts our servers to see if you are running the most current version. If necessary, we will automatically provide you with the latest update to the Google Toolbar.

-------------------------------------------------

Okay, having installed it, I can find no option to turn off the automatic updates. If y'all know where it is, please let us know. I'm about to uninstall it; if any suprises "pop up", I'll let you know.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Don ]

13. I Am Blessed 24

Well, I installed the Micromedia flash and it is driving me crazy!

I would rather put up with the ad popping up than to go blind watching the OTHER ads flashing!

It has also made it so my whole screen flashes on some sites and it is hard to type on it when it is moving! :rolleyes:

It's time for a new computer! [​IMG]

14. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist