1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"storehouse tithing/giving"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Dec 18, 2011.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This was brought up on another thread, (btw, let's please leave the discussion about whether a 10%tithe is required for a different thread).

The issue brought up is for an individual church member who designates his gifts for certain ministries rather than simply giving to the general church fund.

Does anyone else see problems with this?

I do, but I'll leave further comments for later.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do both. I'm not going to debate over whether or not it is appropriate for me, personally, to tithe. It's just a decision I have made based on feeling led to do so and I'm not going to argue about it.

For me - my monthly tithe always and without fail goes to the general fund. Anything above the tithe that the LORD presses me to give specifically such as youth camp, individual missions, world hunger, choir robe fund, or Vacational Bible School, I write a separate check and earmark it where I want to give it.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is exactly what we do as well. The tithe goes to the church to use as it needs. From there, any additional monies might go to a particular need or another ministry or whatever. :) Right now, some extra money will go to a friend who's going on our missions trip to Nicaragua to work with the kids. We don't think there's a better guy to go so we will give him what we can to support him. :)

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have a problem with it, too.

If one believes that the tithe is biblical, then all of it should go to his church, where a collective decision is made how to allocate it. One who wishes to help finance other ministries should give separate offerings. An individual member should not override the congregation's priorities set through the budget process.

Besides, if this member wants to pay the electric bill, it doesn't mean the church spends less money. It just allocates the same amount elsewhere.

We've had a member or two to insist that their tithe not be applied proportionately to the pastor's salary because they didn't like him. That's of course, petty, and such a request should be refused.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The giving should be to the general fund. The leaders, Pastors/Elders, are the ones who are to decide how the funds are used. If we do not trust their leadership then it is time to find another church.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my church, the general membership votes on where the general fund monies go. No voting on things like paying light bills or such, but on things like how much to give to the CP or can we afford that new van right now or paying someone's tuition for seminary or paying for the pastor's personal 5-day mission trip.

We always listen to the finance committee and other such committee reports and requests and the pastor conducts the business meetings without offering opinions.

There are some minor issues where the pastor can delineate funds from the office without consulting the church membership or the finance committee - such as dispersing monies from the benevalence fund and he is also a permanent ad hoc member of the finance committee and offers much opinion/counsel there but does not vote.

We do trust our pastor and our committees who work very hard to lead us towards good financial stewardship, but the membership votes after hearing all of the information and discussing all financial matters.

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a family in Jacksonville (a father and his two daughters) that love to sing for the Lord. These folks are good!

After the service they have a table set up offering their CD's for $15.00. In my humble opinion should any church invite others to visit, a check should be cut from the General Fund for whatever amount is deemed proper. Some drive across town while others might drive several hundred miles. Then they could offer their CD's for a buck two ninety eight and more people could hear them sing.

Often, you'll see that Amos Goodfellow tithes but .25 cents as he doesn't like Elmo Cluckatelly the Deacon. Then, there's Sister Gabberdene who constantly funds for a new Church Weed Eater because she doesn't like the style of clothes the Pastor's wife wears.

Such nonsense from such little people. They cut off their nose to spite their face stifling the blessings from the Lord.

Put it (ALL) in the General Fund and enjoy your Christian Life. Then, if on the way out the door you really don't want to buy a CD, slip the singers a fifty as you shake their hands and wait on the Lord to refund your offering. He will.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

We make tithes and offerings because that's what we've been led to do. Not by any "requirement" to do so.

Our regular monthly tithes go to the general fund along with weekly offerings. Additionally, if a special situation arises, such as a withdrawal from our retirement fund, that usually goes to a designated account, after discussing with our pastor where the most pressing need exists at the time. And, always with the stipulation that x tithe can be used for any purpose that'll best serve the Lord, regardless of which designated account contains it.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

The biblical principle governing this under BIOTH Old/new Covenants was/is to bring the monies into the 'storehouse", and that we are to bring first fruits to the Lord, can "debate" wether still 10 % tithe today, as based upon proportional giving "as the Lord blesses you", either way we need to bring it first to local church, than above and beyond to other ministries!