1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Strange fire Charleston, TN The Church of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tim71, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking for some advice on how to prove that this religious organization is teaching dangerous doctrines. My family is involved in this cult and I cannot convince them that this organization is dangerous

Here is a statement about their church history

[​IMG]
    The founding of The Church of God occurred when Jesus Christ called together His twelve apostles and with them organized His Church. According to the history of the Church, this occurred approximately 28 A.D. on the Horns of Hittin near Tiberias in Palestine, now known as Israel. "And he goeth up into a mountain, and calleth unto him whom he would: and they came unto him. And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:" (Mark 3:3-15).

The Church continued under theocracy, governed by the immediate direction of God, growing and expanding until its influence was felt in all the known world.

The Church's success and identity were interrupted, however, on June 14, 325 A.D. at the Council of Nicaea when the Church, under the power and influence of the Roman government, headed at that time by Emperor Constantine, abandoned theocracy and established an episcopal form of government to replace it. It was at this point that the true Church ceased to function but the organization continued. This event was foretold in Isaiah 54:7 and 2 Thessalonians 2:3.

After fifteen hundred and seventy-eight years, a time known in religious history as the Dark Ages, the true Church arose from its long sleep and again began to function as was prophesied in Isaiah 60:1-5. The time was June 13, 1903 and the place was Cherokee County, North Carolina. In this historic meeting, one among the group who came together to pray and study the Word of God, A.J. Tomlinson, made the statement after he had gone to the top of a mountain nearby for an extended session of prayer:

"I came back down the mountain and entered the meeting. Questions were asked. Bible answers were given. They said they took the whole Bible rightly divided as their only rule of faith and practice. I said, Well if you take the whole Bible rightly divided, that makes it The Church of God...Then I said, You have agreed that this that I have said makes it The Church of God, and will you be willing to take it and keep it The Church of God? They said they were willing. I then asked if they were willing to take me in with the understanding that It is The Church of God – not going to be, but is The Church of God. They were willing...Brother Spurling...took the Bible and gave it to me. He handed it to me and said, 'Will you take this [Bible] as the word of God, believe and practice it, obey its precepts and walk in the light as God is in the light?' Right there I gave my hand to Brother Spurling...I took the obligation with deep sincerity and extreme sacredness, never to be forgotten." (Upon this Rock, Vol. 3, p. 64, C.T. Davidson, White Wing Publishing House and Press, Cleveland, Tennessee, 1976).

"Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee" (Isaiah 60:1).

Following the "arise, shine" of the Church on June 13, 1903, it began again to function as the theocracy and experienced growth and expansion until a disruption in 1923 brought a separation on governmental and doctrinal lines. A.J. Tomlinson, the General Overseer of The Church of God, refused to go along with the faction within the Church which wanted to alter the theocratic form of government by introducing a constitution wiich interfered with the process of theocracy through the General Assembly.

With a remnant of those who wanted to contine with the theocratic process, on July 24, 1923 A.J. Tomlinson made a declaration of separation from the errant faction to continue on with The Church of God as originally revealed by the Holy Ghost through the Word of God. The Church grew and flourished under his leadership until his death in 1943. In the years following his separation from those in error, he and the Church suffered frequent and periodic lawsuits involving property and the name "The Church of God." Finally, the courts ruled that the Church should distinguish itself from the other group by using the name "The Church of God over which A.J. Tomlinson is General Overseer."

Following his death on October 2, 1943, his son, Milton A. Tomlinson, was selected as General Overseer and for a period of time the Church went under the name "The Church of God over which A.J. Tomlinson was and Milton A. Tomlinson is General Overseer." In 1952 the same group, which went astray from the Church during the administration of A.J. Tomlinson in 1921-1923, brought suit against Milton A. Tomlinson concerning the name and the court advised those under the administration of Milton A. Tomlinson to accept the term "of Prophecy" as a suffix to the name Church of God, so the Church operated under the name "Church of God of Prophecy," using the suffix for business purposes only.

During the administration of Milton A. Tomlinson the Church of God of Prophecy experienced its greatest growth and expansion. During this time, unfortunately, the seed of heresy and apostasy were secretly being planted and found fertile land in the minds and hearts of some within the Church who emerged in positions of leadership and influence. As Milton A. Tomlinson grew older and became more and more incapacitated and less and less able to bear up under the load and responsibility he, in the spring of 1990, sought administrative assistance until the General Assembly when the matter of considering a replacement for the General Overseer could be dealt with by the General Assembly, those who had other plans and ideas about replacing the General Overseer seized upon the opportunity to take matters into their own hands. Milton A. Tomlinson was pressured into resigning and vacated the office. Then the group of State and National Overseers, which would have been the presbytery had there been a General Overseer in place to work with them, went about to select a replacement. The action of this group was a departure from the theocratic process which had directed the Church from its beginning. A leader was selected by majority vote rather than by unanimous agreement of the General Assembly. This new leader began immediately to lead the Church away from its original revelation of Church government and doctrine.

Eventually, on July 23-25, 1993, a Solemn Assembly was called by the Holy Ghost to come together to fast and pray to find the answer to the dilemma the Church was in. One of the Holy Ghost messages given during the Solemn Assembly said "Ye are The Church of God. That is the name I have given thee...."

The result of the Solemn Assembly was that on the evening of July 24, 1993, in a mighty move and demonstration of the Holy Ghost, a proclamation was made by the group to stand for the original doctrines, teachings and theocratic government as revealed to the Church which was set in order by Christ Himself and which went under cover during the Dark Ages and which arose on June 13, 1903 to continue its divine commission as The Church of God.

These separations did not constitute new organizations, but the reorganization of The Church of God as the true theocracy of God, the exclusive Body of Christ. From the beginning it was The Church of God and through all its earthly trials and tribulations it is still The Church of God. It is not a new organization, but is a continuation of the original Church in its original revelation.

From the humble restoration of the Church which Christ established in 28 A.D. to this present day there have been glorious times, great victories, and reports of great revivals, healings, and divine deliverances.

Details of the future are, of course, unknown, but the prophecy of God is clear concerning the Church. The hour is late, but the brightness of the "arise, shine" lies just ahead. Without a doubt, perfection will be obtained, for it has already been declared of the Church that Christ will "...present it unto himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish" (Ephesians 5:27; see also Revelations 19:6-9).

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Jesus did not een have His church here until 1903?
    They seem to belike the Mormons/JW/SDA, s all of them claimed to be the true restore church now , so which oneis it?

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've looked at the church's materials. Exactly which doctrines do you believe are dangerous?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seem to b a Charasmatic version of Mormon church, as it sees itself as the restored true church, with apostolic power and sign gift operating!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there those are hardly unique.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldmark it out as a cult though!

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it does seem to have a cultish history, but what in particular do you object to? It came out of the Holiness-Pentecostal movement, so there are all kinds of things that we as Baptists will disagree with as far as doctrine and ecclesiology. What particular things do you consider cultish?

8. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They are practicing your faith perfectly.

Here is a Quaker given a bible on what authority? there is disagreements ditches his old faith starts new one. Sounds Baptist to me.

All has to happen is for one person to believe the scripture means what he thinks it means above what everyone else may think.

They study scripture, have committees even universities study, They voted this way on doctrine and you voted that way.

Their weakness is yours too.....the canon of scripture.
    Its unidentified. The bible might as well include The Cat in the Hat.

The reluctant truth held back by all is the King James is a Anglican bible and it never has certified itself. The KING certified it, James. The holy head of Anglican church.

Tradition has established what 66 books are scripture. The books themselves can't claim anything.

It takes tradition to say this is it right here these books are scripture and only these others are not.

You might know what the national anthem sounds like. Enough to say "oh there it" is every time you hear it, Taking for granted the means you identify it. But the song didn't fall out the sky, not all the musical notes ever made are used. It was organized specifically.

The bible did not fall out the sky. Someone said yes to gospel #1 and NO to gospel #5. Someone said yes to gospel #4 and no to gospel #29.

Many folks today grab the cookie cutter Anglicans built. On what grounds reach for anything at all?

9. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They believe that the the true church was asleep for over 1500 years. Then after the 1578 years they quote Isaiah 60:1-4 as a prophecy that came to fulfillment in 1903. I personally don't see that at all in Isaiah 60. How do you interpret Isaiah 60 1-5

10. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way they speak in tongues They believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to them and through an interpreter the Holy Spirit tells them who should be their pastors and General overseers. If you watch their General assembly on YouTube, you will see exactly what I'm talking about

They also believe you can lose your salvation. Which I believe is dangerous.

11. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also believe they are the only true Church of God. I heard them say when Jesus comes back for his Church they will be the only ones going back to heaven with Him

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They seethemselves as true Remnant church, established by Hoy Spirit directly, their doctrines fully given to them by God etc!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SAME reasoning Mormons/JW/SDA alo all use!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They deny the completed revelation of God, and hold o ongoing revelation by God, correct?
    That the alone havte "annoiting" from God as true church?

15. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They believe in the complete revelation of God They just don't rightly divide the word of truth correctly I would like some advice on how to witness to someone who in involved in this faith. Every time I talk to them they want to argue that you can be saved and then if you backslide enough you can lose your salvation. I've already showed them all the scriptures about how you cannot lose your salvation, then they want me to explain revelation chapter 3:5 and exodus 32:33. These scriptures seem to indicate that you can lose your salvation however I believe there are to many scriptures that teach against losing your salvation.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they hodl that God still is giving on going reveltion still? Modern Day Apostles/Prophet?

Do thy hold to right Gospel?

#16 Yeshua1, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  17. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They believe that on going revelation is still applicable today. I think they would tell you that prophets are amongst us

18. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's self refuting. It can't possibly be dangerous since it can't be lost.

So what if they are doing everything wrong? You already believe there is nothing right they can do to better their chances.

If you want a True monergist and faith alone approach to this issue. You wouldn't complain to us about what they are doing wrong.

If I actually believed what you SAY you believe, which you clearly don't, Step one is ask God to fix it, and you are DONE.

They cannot correct themselves nor can you correct them into the good works of believing the gospel as you see it, that's all tied to good works. And if they are already saved since you believe they can't lose it there is nothing dangerous at all.

You can be in middle of the ocean, thinking your gonna drown. You see a ship, yes your saved! they throw a lifesaver, yes your saved. they get you on the boat yes your saved! take you back home, yes your saved.

When the ship came you can choose to not wave your arms around and hide underwater, you can choose not to grab that lifesaver, you can choose to jump off the boat.

The disciples the same way describe being saved past, present, and will be in the future.

James 2
    14What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?

Now I'm not particularly bringing Faith Vs Works here. Lets make it a given its faith alone. He doesn't say faith has saved him, but a future event.

The entirety of the chapter if not the whole books is absolutely meaningless if Once saved always saved.

In a nutshell you Baptist and your Calvinist-Baptist have this issue:

James 2
    1My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism.

You think hey I'm chosen or saved, well I'm home free with a license to sin.

The first thing the devil taught was once saved always saved:

4The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! 5

The first sinner taught Calvinism:

12The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”

19. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what if they are doing everything wrong? You already believe there is nothing right they can do to better their chances

If you saw someone doing something wrong, wouldn't you want to try and help them? Especially if you felt their eternal life depended on it and the people involved was family members
    Didn't God command us Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”?
    I never said I believed there was nothing right they can do to better their chances. If the Holy Spirit would show them their errors that would improve their chances. Ultimately they're going to have to have the Holy Spirit show them the true Light.
    But I also believe man can be used in the Masters hand to show others that their ways are incorrect and come to the true saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ
    ‭‭

20. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utilyan
    If you want a True monergist and faith alone approach to this issue. You wouldn't complain to us about what they are doing wrong.

If I actually believed what you SAY you believe, which you clearly don't, Step one is ask God to fix it, and you are DONE

I'm sorry if you interpreted what I was saying as complaining. That was not my intention.

I'm not sure I understand your next statement about " If I actually believed what you SAY you believe, which you clearly don't" If I'm interpreting this statement correctly it seems as if I'm not believing in something correctly. That I'm deceiving myself. Is this statement correct Utilyan?

I have prayed to God about this But I also believe when you pray to God about something you don't just sit back and do nothing That would be like a farmer praying to God for a good crop of corn and not working in his fields expecting God to do all the work. That's foolishness