1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Strange fire Charleston, TN The Church of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tim71, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus then Lie whn He statted that NONE would ever be lost again?
    And Jude at end of his book also lied that Jesus forever keeps us saved?

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They sound lik JW/Mormon?SDA meet Charasmatic...
    Do they hold to real Gospel then

3. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tim if you don't do anything about it, IS that going to prevent them from salvation at all? Does your GOOD WORKS have any bearing on the salvation of others?

Your already "saved" , why would foolishness matter at all?

Your already saying their being in the wrong can make them lose their salvation.

And if they were to engage in the GOOD WORKS of listening to you and following your example they will be saved.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the Handbook of Denominations by Frank Mead (6th ed., p. 89), there are "at least 200 independent religious bodies in the United States" with this name. Since the history you give mentions Tomlinson as the founder, it is either the large Pentecostal denomination with that name, or the "Tomlinson Church of God" (he was kicked out of the first one in 1923), or the "Church of God of Prophecy" founded by him later.

Either way, it's not a cult, but a fairly standard Pentecostal denomination. I recommend that you study up on these groups before combating them. Try John R. Rice's book, The Charismatic Movement, or Charismatic Chaos, by John MacArthur. (I don't recommend anything else by MacArthur.)

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would be basically same as JW/Mormons/SDA, who would view themselves as being the restoration of the true Church of God!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that this church does sound more akin to a Pentacostal SDA or Mormon church, as they do really sound like into extra biblical revelations. and see themselves as now being the restored true church!.
    I was in the AOG over a decade, and they never claim any of that stuff!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continued revelation in this group is a Charismatic thing, not SDA or Mormon. Both of these groups add a book to the Bible as their guide, but Charismatics view it as modern prophecy, so there is a difference. In particular, the Mormons are so far distant from fundamental Christian doctrine that they should not even be considered Christian, though the SDA is pretty orthodox, and the Ch. of God accepts all of the fundamentals. So I don't think the Mormon comparison is valid.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key on them is that they see themselves asbeing the church for God now, like the church of trome sees themselves, and Mormons do see revelations from God, as Apostles said that God changed his mind in 1976, and allowed for Blacks to be Mormon priests!

Mormons/Sda are christian cults, and this church sems to be more akin to them than say AOG!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John I have done my research on this denomination. As a child I was raised in this church. This church may not admit to it but they believe in a works salvation. They believe in the doctrine of entire sanctification. You know as well as I do we will never be sinless while living in the flesh They believe that the Holy Spirit gives them special revelations This is heresy. We should call these organizations by what they are

A cult is simply this
    1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies

I have prayed over this and feel that the only way my family and friends will be delivered from this organization is by God only. God will be the only one who will be able to open their blind eyes It hurts John when you know your own mother could be in jeopardy of eternal hell. I don't know if she is truly saved or not Only God knows that. But when I witness to her I get the sense that she feels that she needs to contribute to her salvation.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6th edition? What is that, mid 1970s?

The OP is referring to The Church of God (Charleston, Tennessee) which emerged in the 1990s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_God_(Charleston,_Tennessee)

"The church places particular emphasis upon the word The in its title as a statement of this reorganization, believing it is the singular exclusive embodiment of the New Testament Christian church."

"An important belief which distinguishes it from many other Holiness-Pentecostal churches is its belief that it is the true church."

Its website:

https://www.thechurchofgod.org/resources/index.php?id=10

"The Evening Light is a very important part of The Church of God. It should be read regularly by every member and you interest in promoting it should be so great that when you have finished reading your copy, you would pass it along to someone else. Every member who possibly can should subscribe, and each minister is asked to be a "paid-up" subscriber and an earnest worker for our church paper -- The Evening Light."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that they espouse the heresies of unknown tongues, full sanctification, losing salvation, works salvation (many Charismatic groups say you have to speak in tongues to be saved), etc. I also agree that you should continue praying and working to get them out of their church. I oppose the whole Charismatic movement, and have had to fight them three times in the churches I started in Japan. But I think it is a mistake to call this group a cult.

Their beliefs do not make them a cult. Wherever you got this definition of a cult, it's wrong. (It's usual to source quotes here on the BB.) This definition is more of a strict dictionary definition than that of conservative believers who deal with cults. Here's a more authoritative definition: "A relatively small, often transitory religious group that commonly follows a radical leader. A cult, unlike a sect, espouses radically new religious beliefs and practices that are frequently seen as threatening the basic values and cultural norms of society at large" (Dictionary of Cults, Sects, Religions and the Occult, by George Mather and Larry Nichols, p. 86).

By the way, a fascinating book that you would identify with and might help you with your family is I Once Spoke in Tongues, by Wayne Robinson, a former Pentecostal. You can get it used cheaply on Amazon.com.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I keep meaning to get an update version. Too many books, not enough money. :(

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would mark them out as being a Christian cult!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They fit all of that though, as they see themselves as being only true church, see extra revelations, and that their leaders are like modern day prophets/Apostles, and deny the cross, teaching saved by own efforts!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church there seems to be another christian cult, as they deny the gospel, and view themselves as being only true church, same as Mormons/JW/Catholics/SDA all do!

16. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok maybe a generation of vipers would be more appropriate than cult

17. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you not recommend anything else from MacArthur

18. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well I would argue you deny the gospel. God commands all to not sin, therefore wants all to be saved.

You frequently state things that have ZERO SCRIPTURE. For example God taking away man's free will and ability to do Good. Still waiting for you to provide scripture.

If your in a church that doesn't even claim to be the true church, well then your just claiming your in a false church.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree strongly with his Lordship salvation, and I am bothered by his mistaken use of the Greek (which I teach), as in his insistence that pastor and teacher are the same office based on something called the Granville Sharp Rule, which he misuses. He's not a scholar, but kind of tries to come across as one.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as you don't use that one on your relatives. ;)

• Like Like x 1