1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Strange Fire

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Biblicist, Oct 7, 2016.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are not! You believe that an assembly of unbaptized persons (infants with adults) is a true ekklesia as much as one of immersed believers and you have consistently defended that error. Collins is denying the very thing you are defending.

You are one very confused man. You would make an excellent Roman Catholic Priest but not a Baptist. Salvation is not the only requirement to be a true assembly of Christ, however, that is precisely what you are arguing. You don't distinguish between salvation and church membership. If the Bible only demanded salvation to be a member of New Testament congregations you would have a point. but from the Great Commission to every application to the congregations found in the New Testament, Biblical baptism is also required as a prerequisite for membership. Where there is no scriptural baptism there is no true congregation of Christ is the consistent teaching of both Biblical precept and example of the New Testament. As far as I am concerned you are a Protestant Reformed Catholic in ecclesiology and not a Baptist by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look ye out for a criterion that you can't perceive!

:Laugh:Biggrin:Tongue

Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. ...

#82 Aaron, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, the filling of the Spirit is contrasted with drunkenness in Ephesians, not compared to it.

Second, let's see how your explanation works in the passages where the phrase "full of the Holy Ghost" is used:
    • Luke 4:1 And Jesus [being brought under complete submission to the Holy Spirit so that his walk, talk, attitude reflected the will of the Spirit of God] returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness . . .
    • Act 4:8 Then Peter, [being brought under complete submission to the Holy Spirit so that his walk, talk, attitude reflected the will of the Spirit of God], said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel
    I'll stop there. It's so obviously a forced explanation that you haven't thought out. Baptists stumble over this a lot. Especially those in bondage to the legalism of Landmarkism.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are kidding right? The explanation fits perfectly. Jesus was led by the Spirit or came to that area by following the leadership of the Spirit, meaning his mind was under the controlling influence of the Spirit. Likewise, Peter mouth was under the controlling influence of the Holy Spirit as the Spirit gave him the words to speak.

However, your addition "being brought under" does not convey my meaning as it is a willful surrender rather than any kind of forced surrender as your explanation may infer.

Second, you have proved my point by providing a pre and post Pentecost account of being filled, while the baptism in the Spirit is always a FUTURE PREDICTIVE prior to Pentecost. Now, see if your view fits, find any pre-Pentecost example of any individual baptized in the Spirit.

#84 The Biblicist, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we can be pretty certain that some (many?) of those who bayed for our Lord's death had been baptized either by John or the apostles. We are told that 'Jerusalem, all Judea and all the region around the Jordan went out to [JTB] and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins' (Matt. 3:5-6). We allow for some hyperbole here, but we must be talking several thousand here surely? The only criterion for baptism that we see is that they confessed their sins. We note that John talked about 'He who is coming after me' (v.11), but even he wondered at one stage whether that was really Jesus (Matthew 11:2-3).
    We then read that 'many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did' (John 2:23). Surely you will not suppose that none of these were people whom John had baptized? Yet 'Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men' (v.24). A little later, 'Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed"' (John 8:31). But they didn't abide, did they? By the end of the chapter they're trying to stone him!
    In Matthew 11-13, we see our Lord at the height of His popularity, yet He warns the very places where He had spent most of His time that they faced the fate of Tyre, Sidon and Sodom (Matthew 11:20-24), and He spoke to the crowds in parables 'because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear' (Matthew 13:13). Even after His resurrection and ascension, there are only 120 disciples out of all those thousands baptized by John (Acts 1:15). Where had the rest gone?
    Don't be so silly.
    I think you mean 'wriggling.'
    Not at all. I am assessing the Biblical evidence as a whole rather than relying on proof-texts.
    Your naivety is charming, but you have to face the facts I have brought before you. [ You are also misunderstanding Acts 10:37-38] The fact is that whatever John's baptism was, it lacked the power of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:11; John 7:39). The fact is that for quite some time even the Apostles did not know who He was (Matthew 8:27; 16:16), even after the resurrection, some of His disciples were confused as to why He had come (Luke 24:21; Acts 1:6). No, the start of the Church is Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came down in a new way, and baptism as we know it started from there.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is unfortunate that you have nothing better to offer than bluster and insult.
    I am a Baptist by choice and conviction. I was christened into the Church of England as an infant, and when I was saved I made the conscious decision to undergo Biblical baptism when my study of the Bible persuaded me it was correct. Because the church where I was saved was Brethren rather than Baptist, I was under no compulsion to do so, and in fact my baptism caused a temporary estrangement from my mother. So there was a cost, however slight, to my baptism. I wonder if there was to yours.

Insult is the next to last resort of the incompetent. Raise your game, man. You're better than this.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Below you claim to take in the "evidence as a whole" but willing ignore that John the Baptist clearly taught that repentance was accompanied with faith in Christ as John 3:36 and Acts 19:4 explicitly demand this. Your evidence here is nothing but silence and assumptions without a shred of hard facts. You have NOTHING but your own vivid imagination you are reading into the text (eisgesis).

Read on and see what Jesus said about John at this very moment! Jesus thought much more highly of John at this very moment of weakness than you do.

You have NOTHING but presumption based on absolute silence again as you READ INTO the text what you want rather than what it says, but not honest enough to admit it as you are being driven to defend your false doctrine.

Not a word in this text or context that these had been baptized by John or by the disciples of Jesus. You are again READING INTO the text what it neither says or even suggests, but not honest enough to admit it as you are being driven to defend your false doctrine.

I
    Those John baptized repented and confessed faith in Christ but there is not even a hint in these passages that these are John's or Jesus disciples. Again you are READING INTO the text what it neither says or suggest but not honest enough to admit it as you are being driven to defend your false doctrine.

John 20 tells you they were hiding for fear of the Jews. Acts 1:15-26 tells you where they are. You are grasping at not even straws but thin air and desperately trying to READ INTO any scripture what is not there but simply exists in your vain imagination.

Your whole defense is nothing but absolute foolishness based upon pure silence and forced interpretation but you are too proud to admit it because you are driven to defend what has no defense.

Any objective reader of your so-called "evidence" will find NOTHING but what you choose to READ INTO every text you have offered as not a single text you have offered even remotely suggests what you are forcing upon it.

It would either take an absolutely stupid person or one full of bias to even consider your "facts" as anything but pure eisegesis built wholly upon pure silence.

Hardly, as the only comment I made about the text was the call to repentance and those whom John and Jesus (through his disciples) had baptized already repented and already believed in Christ.

This is such an absurd statement it is almost beneath the dignity of even responding to such nonsense. John was "filled" with the Spirit and operated under the same power as Elijah as he came in the POWER of Elijah.

Lu 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Tell me Martin what kind of power does it take to "turn the hearts" of people???? He preached in that kind of power. So don't give this absolute nonsense that John's ministry was without the power of the holy Spirit in changing lives.

Provide one text that says the church began on Pentecost - just one? My bible says the 3000 were "added unto them" and the "them" are those who were united and assembled in one place (Acts 2:1) who already had a church business meeting in Acts 1:15-26 and installed another man into the "church" office of apostle as the apostles were set first in the church (1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 2:20) and that was BEFORE Pentecost.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is no insult or bluster to call a cat a cat or a dog a dog or a horse a horse because that is what it is. Your ecclesiology is Reformed Roman Catholic not Baptist. Just because a person chooses to call themselves a "Baptist" or a "Methodist" means nothing as it is their doctrine and practice that defines them. Your doctrine is not Biblical and thus not "baptist."

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Here is evidenced based upon clear scripture unlike Martin's evidence that is completely silent concernling the very point he is wishing to make as not a single text he uses even suggests much less states anything remotely near what he attempts to READ INTO it.

Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
    7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
    8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
    9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
    10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
    11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

1. Note the contrast between the audience and those speaking.

a. The audience defines "all" who are speaking to them as Galileans or those who live INSIDE Palestine.

b. The audience identify themselves as those who live OUTSIDE Palestine "every man in OUR OWN TONGUE" and then give the names of the countries they came from.

c. These are males who have come INTO palestine into Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover and Pentecost as commanded by Moses.

d. These are the ones being addressed by Peter

e. These are the ones that Peter charges with crucifying Christ as they were present during the crucifixion.

f. These are the ones that asked Peter what they must do (Acts 2:37)

g. These are the ones that Peter responds to that very question calling on them to repent.

h. These are not the disciples of John the Baptist who had been baptized by John IN Palestine over a year ago.

i. These are not the disciples of Christ who had been baptized IN Palestine long before the Passover.

CONCLUSION
    : Martin ignores the explicit contextual identity provided in the context and READS INTO this text what it neither says or even suggests but adamantly demands to be contrary to his whole theory.

2. The ONLY possible baptism existing when the Great Commission was given was the baptism of John. The ONLY possible baptism which Christ could "HAVE" commanded (Mt. 28:20) was the baptism of John. Thus, the only baptism promised to be administered by men to other men to the end of the age is the baptism of John.

a. There is no mention of any kind of new water baptism between Mt. 28:19 and Acts 2

b. There is no mention of anyone having to be rebaptized prior to Acts 2

c. The term "Christian" is never used to distinguish baptism after Pentecost from baptism before
    Pentecost.

3. The rebaptism 20 years later in Acts 19 was not administered by John the Baptist.

a. John could not have possibly baptized them as they lived 20 years or more after the ministry of
    John the Baptist and they are spoken of as newly found disciples in Ephesus.

b. John preached the Holy Spirit but these did not even know about Him.

c. They were asked "unto" (Gr. eis "into" "in" with reference to) WHOM or "what person" (Gr. autous "he" "him" ) were they baptized. They replied "unto" (Gr. eis "into" in" with reference to) John (John's name stands first in the text a the immediate object of the preposition) or a baptism characterized by John (anathrous construct can convey characterization).

d. However, John baptized "unto" (Gr. eis "into" "in" with reference to) Christ not in reference to himself. When they hear that John did not baptism "eis" with reference to himself but to Christ, they realized they did not have John's baptism.

CONCLUSION: This cannot be used as a proof text against the baptism of John as Paul corrects them about the very nature of John's baptism. Moreover, Paul demands that John required both repentance and faith in Christ as John's own words demand in John 3;36.

Now I have provided actual contextual based facts in contrast to Martin's texts which say NOTHING about the very point he is trying to prove but contradict the above facts.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not my addition. It's a cut and paste from your post. (#51)

Yes, yes, yes. You see a difference in the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven, so naturally you're hung up baptism and filling. But you still haven't told me how one can see that one is full of the Holy Ghost, and another is not.[/QUOTE]

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, my oversight but willful surrender was my intent.

No, no, no, we can't have any meaningful conversation when you totally ignore the response I gave to your challenge. I said NOTHING about the kingdom of God being different than the kingdom of heaven.

B
    I most certainly did tell you and told you in plain language in post #60 and here it is repeated:

You know by the manifest fruit (Gal. 5:16-23). Of course, Satan can counterfeit such fruit to a certain superficial point, so in some cases you might not be able to know for sure.

One thing is certain, if one is under the leadership of the Spirit their words and actions will conform to the Scriptures and that is one way of knowing.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason we cannot have any meaningful conversation goes even deeper than that. Hence your supposed answer . . .

You're basically saying it's the same way as knowing one is a Christian, and this is no response. And as you think the individual is sovereign in his own salvation, naturally you think that the filling is also his willing obedience. And our argument will basically boil down to whether or not an olive branch can choose to bear olives. (The metaphor, I'm almost certain, escapes you.)

As far as baptism and filling: it's like saying death and the grave, or the Kingdom of God and Heaven. It's the same thing. The distinction is artificial. If I immerse a coffee cup in a sink full of water, is the cup immersed or is it full? And from the point of view of the vessel, what is the meaningful difference?

But when the Scriptures speak of Christ, Stephen and Peter being "full of the Holy Ghost" (Christ, after 40 days of fasting and intense temptation of the Devil, Peter when preaching after performing a miracle, and Stephen when being martyred),they are describing extraordinary events and manifestations. Until we agree on that point, there's no need to discuss the multitude of trifles raised in the interminable verbosities of your questionable hermeneutics.

#92 Aaron, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No, the reason is that you keep avoiding the real issue. There is no baptism in the Spirit prior to Pentecost. Every single text on the baptism in the Spirit prior to Pentecost is future tense. There are no present tense applications of the baptism in the Spirit prior to Pentecost. However, filling of the Spirit can be found prior to Pentecost and there present tense applications of filling. THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM which you refuse to deal with but nevertheless is an indisputable Biblical fact that destroys your whole contention.

Yes, it most certainly is the proper response as not all Christians act like Christians and no Christian acts like a Christian apart from the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit (Rom. 7:14-25; Gal. 5:17). Filling is a command (Eph. 5:18) whereas there is no command to seek or be baptized in the Holy Spirit either before or after Pentecost.

You are confusing me with someone else. No man can come to Christ except they are given to him by divine election and internal drawn to him by the Spirit (Jn. 6:37-39; 44). The human will is a slave to sin in the unregenerate (Rom. 8:7) and most importantly for our discussion the human will in the saved is POWERLESS to overcome indwelling sin in the regenerate (Rom. 7:18; Philip. 2:13) as "without me ye can do nothing."

You are wholly mistaken

Try your theory out at the gas station next time you are in town. Tell the gas attendent to immerse your gas tank in gas until it is filled!!

Again you are avoiding the Biblical facts that the baptism in the Spirit prior to Pentecost is ALWAYS future tense - ALWAYS while the filling is a present action prior to Pentecost. Sorry, but you simply can't rewrite the Scriptures.

To be "full of the Holy Spirit" is to be EMPTY of self-will, and self-dependence leaning wholly upon the Spirit's power, wisdom, guidance as manifested in the believers words and actions. If you can't understand this, you need to go back to sunday school and learn the basics.

#93 The Biblicist, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being "filled with the Spirit" does not mean I get more of the Holy Spirit. It means He gets more of me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Scriptures speak of Christ, Stephen and Peter being "full of the Holy Ghost" (Christ, after 40 days of fasting and intense temptation, Peter when preaching after performing a miracle, and Stephen when being martyred), they are describing extraordinary events and manifestations. Until we agree on that point, there's no need to discuss it any further.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You have no point! You are speaking of one of many results of filling not the only result. In Ephesians 5:18 the contextual manifestation is SUBMISSION - Eph. 5:18-6:9 - submission to one another, submission to your husband, submission to your parents, submission to your employer or master.

Ephesians 5:18 uses the imperative mode making it a command. It is synonymous with walking in the Spirit. This is not an option. Tell me, are you obedient to this command and do you manifest supernatural powers at all times??????

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 5:18 has nothing to do with being "full of the Holy Ghost." It is merely drawing the contrast between the excessive and moderate conversations of the world and Christianity. What. You think your singing elicits the Spirit? Your actions will elicit the giving of the Spirit? How is that different than Simon thinking he could purchase the gift?

Where the world finds its joys in the excess of wine, the Christian finds his in spiritual things. That's all that is meant by the passage in Ephesians.

It is not a formula by which one is filled with the Spirit.

So again: When the Scriptures speak of Christ, Stephen and Peter being "full of the Holy Ghost" (Christ, after 40 days of fasting and intense temptation, Peter when preaching after performing a miracle, and Stephen when being martyred), they are describing extraordinary events and manifestations. Until we agree on that point, there's no need to discuss it any further.

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

So please explain the difference between a glass FULL of water and a glass that has been FILLED with water?

You are reversing the cause and effect order found in the context. Singing, actions and submission are the effects of being full/filled with the Spirit not the causes for obtaining it.

I never said it was a formula for being filled, but what I said it is a command as it is found in the imperative mode. When you are not filled/full of the Spirit you are filled/full of yourself.

So, again, performing miracles are just one of many effects of being "filled/full" of the Spirit, Just as "singing" in the Spirit, submitting to authorities, manifesting the fruit of the Spirit, preaching and teaching God's word in power and in truth, etc.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain a sword filled with blood, and a head filled with dew.

Blood on the sword or in the sword? Dew on the head or in the head?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 13:9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him . . .

Why mention "filled with the Holy Ghost" here and not in every act of Paul since Ananias laid hands on him? Did Paul's submission fluctuate? Was he extraordinarily obedient in this case as compared to the others? Maybe he was a baritone virtuoso singing psalms and hymns.

So again: When the Scriptures speak of Christ, Stephen and Peter being "full of the Holy Ghost" (Christ, after 40 days of fasting and intense temptation, Peter when preaching after performing a miracle, and Stephen when being martyred), they are describing extraordinary events and manifestations. Until we agree on that point, there's no need to discuss it any further.