1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strangest food you have tried/eaten

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by RomOne16, May 20, 2003.

1. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

Christines food phobia thread got me wondering what the strangest food is that you have tried or eaten. Any brave souls out there ready to admit to trying something out of the ordinary? :D

The most exotic food I have ever eaten was deep fried alligator. :eek: [​IMG] Yep! It tasted like Chicken! [​IMG] :D

2. christine

christine New Member

octopus, squid, alligator, eggs/cheese/fries on top of steak, shark, horse, mystical meat in the kabobs along side the road overseas!
    It all was great. :D :D
    Christine

3. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

After eating all of that, cutting up a little ol chicken gets to you?! :eek: :D [​IMG]

Your menu makes my little serving of alligator look tame! [​IMG] Guess I lead a sheltered life. :D

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I ate a pice of squid once at the chineese resturant, didn't know what it was at the time, it was icky, I did not swallow it, I just couldn't, I suspected what it was.

5. christine

christine New Member

I've been around south america, to sicily, italy and puerto rico. So if I was finicky, I would not have had any fun. Sometimes if you don't drink (alcohol), the only thing people are willing to do with you is eat. It actually became a hobby on the boat during liberty ports. I didn't quite waddle coming off the boat, but lets say my buttons were missle hazards!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But yeah, cutting raw chicken just grosses me out. I never said it made sense, that's why I started this post. The brown egg thing made me laugh and laugh this morning. The other day as I bought the brown eggs, I actually got one carton of white eggg for my sister (coming to visit). I've had her (miss priss) dig thru the trash just to see if there really was an egg carton in there.
    The ones I got lately have a little red stamp on each egg, can't have her digging thru the trash everyday!
    I definitely need to laugh more these days.
    Christine

6. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

My hubby loves sushi, and sometimes some of that is squid. (where's the grossed out smiley?) I just can't bring myself to eat sushi (well maybe if I was starving to death, but ya'll know what I mean).

I guess maybe I better not try out for that show "Fear Factor" eh? :eek: :D

7. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I've eaten Octopus...doesn't taste like chicken, it tastes like rubber bands.

I've eaten tripe (Cow stomach lining) in Menudo...which is one of my favorites. Mom makes it really good.

I've eaten Cow Tongue...tastes like roast beaf.

I love Sushi, Where I used to live I ate it almost every day.

8. christine

christine New Member

Octopus is like every other seafood, it will be rubbery if cooked too long. The problem is finding a place that doesn't make it rubbery!
    Octopus salad is wonderful, I dunno how or if it's cooked, but I love it.
    Have you ever met someone that thinks the more you "try" something, that you will just miraculously start liking it?
    My husbands guilty of this, he's obsessed with me liking cherries. Says I don't like them because I don't try them. I have, yuk!!
    Christine

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh Katie, I love fried calamari which is baby squid. Nick eats it so fast we have to get a large order.

I don't eat fried fish except at certain places. I don't like fish bones in my throat... UG!

Diane

10. christine

christine New Member

I don't eat fish that's not filleted. Even if I have to fillet it myself.
    Christine

11. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

A bit of trivia about cherries: Our dentist just told me that Cherries have natural floride and that if my daughter likes them, I should make sure she gets lots and lots because of her weak enamel.

Thanks for the tip about the Octopus. My mother cooked it, and I haven't eaten it since. I thought it was just that way. It didn't bare any resemblance to any fish Iv'e ever had in texture. Much like liver bares no resemblance to steak. The texture is what makes me gag. I hate liver. Bleck. I don't care how it's cooked, I will not ever eat it again. I'm just glad as an adult I have a choice about it. Not like when I was a kid and we had liver once a week. Gag, gag, double gag!. You know what tastes worse than liver? cold liver. Yes, Mom made me sit at the table until I finished it. Oh the trauma of my childhood. [​IMG]

But on the bright side, my Mother not pandering to my dislikes made me less finicky over all. [​IMG]

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

I was in New Orleans at a oyster bar with some friends. The waitress asked how many oysters I wanted. I said I'll have a coke. She talked me into eating one (1) only one. :eek: She brought it out on a plate with a saltine and some hot sauce. :eek: She was singing some dorky oyster song. :( It wasn't that bad. :eek: It reminded me of sniffing and then clearing my throat (gulp). [​IMG]

13. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

1) Quail eggs and chicken feet in a REAL Chinese restaurant

2) Rattlesnake chili at a Rattlesnake Roundup

3) Sushi and Yokisoba in Japan, the restaurants where these are served are really neat. The sushi moves along on a conveyer belt and you grab a plate as it goes along. You then cleanse your palette with ginger and go for another. The man behing the counter has a chip counter to tally up how much sushi you eat.

4) Strange mystery meat in Korea

5) Chicken in Kenya, never eat the mayonnaise in Kenya, they do not refrigerate. And never eat the vegatables, you do not want to know what is used for manure.

6) MRE's, these can be very strange. At times the monkeys in Kenya would not eat them.

7) Rabbit with chicken seasoning

8) Fresh oatmeal in Fujara, not strange but delicious and nothing like oats from the store.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I've eaten the bone marrow of water buffalo from near its hoof.
    It was interesting, but I wouldn't want to eat it too many times.
    DHK

15. thetaterkid

thetaterkid New Member

1. Opossum stew were'nt to bad. A little gamey.

2. Racoon BBQ.

3. Chocolate covered ants. Where were the ants?

4. Sardines~Yuck!