1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Street Preaching

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by MTA, Nov 10, 2004.

1. MTA

MTA New Member

Occasionally, my wife and I see young men standing at a busy intersection near her home in SE Kentucky. These young men are standing, holding their Bibles and preaching to the drivers of the cars passing by or to those drivers stopped at the stoplight. Some folks might be impressed with this, but I cannot imagine its worth or benefit to the church that promotes it. What do you think?

Is street preaching effective? Do you think it is helpful to the cause, harmful, or benign?

2. mike

mike New Member

I haven't seen anyone do any street preaching here in North Texas in about ten years or so. My first thought is that it furthers many people's (especially lost ones)ideas on the perception that Christians are out of touch with reality. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

I personally think that street preaching is ineffective at best in general.

Mike

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

If I spent tens years on one corner, preaching, and just one sinner repented and got saved; would you continue to say it is ineffective?

What is the worth of one soul?

And do you really think it matters what the world thinks of the church? Or that their opinion really matters to Jesus? "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own; but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

In His service;
    Jim

4. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Saved in 1971. The pastor of the church went one Saturday a month to preach on a corner in town. Being the typical excited, naive new convert, I went along and handed out tracts. Led my first person to Christ on that street corner. Agree with av1611jim. One soul is worth it. Pray for those that have the courage to stand; pray that God will raise up more like them; and pray that God will give each of us more courage to stand and be counted among the persecuted.

5. MTA

MTA New Member

Jim:
    I absolutely agree that the value of one soul far exceeds anything we might be required to endure. I also agree that when the church is justified in her actions, she need not worry what the world says, but I will be quick to add that that is not a license for the church to promote or endorse any effort or any behavior used in an outreach effort.

Although I largely agree with you, what if you spent 10 years preaching and not a single soul was saved because your message was lost, being overshadowed by a method of evangelism that was viewed as fanatical showmanship? Shouldn't we be responsible to present the gospel in a manner that is more likely to solicit a favorable response?

[ November 10, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: MTA ]

6. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

The Bible tells us that "Gods word will not return void".
    The people that reject God's free gift will have no excuse at the White Throne Judgment, they will say to God "I was never told", and God will say what about that street preacher that you laughed at and mocked. God never told us to get results he just told us to preach the gospel.

Street Preacher [​IMG]

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

What if I spent 10 years screaming at people as they passed by that they need to get saved or burn in Hell and 1 person came to Christ. Was it worth it?

Probably not if I turned thousands away from the gospel by my actions.

Those who often harp the loudest against the "ends justifies the means" mentality are often the same ones who practice it within their own world of preferences.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a young man I preached in the Boston Common in the 1960's. An interesting experience.

We also went house to house.
    One evening a man in a drunken rage chased us (the pastor and I) out of his apartment building with a meat clever.

As the grace of God would have it, he later was saved and eventually (after a long bout with his flesh) became a deacon in the church.

HankD

9. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."
    The preaching of the cross is going to offend people the Bible says so. The bible also tells us to do it. In Isaiah 58:1 "Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet,..."

Street Preacher [​IMG]

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Street preaching worked best in the days when most people walked, or when it was done in a public square where people commonly gathered. Our society is considerably more mobile today, and I would venture that it's not nearly as effective as it was 150 years ago.

It can be, in the right environment. At an outdoor plaza where there's a public assembly place, sure. But on a highway, not likely. Nearby in downtown Hollywood, CA, street preachers are a common site, and they're respected and respectful.
    Mostly benign, sometimes helpful, rarely harmful. Let each person do as he's called.

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Amen! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Exactly, we need more people like this, than more people not like this.

God bless,
    RR

12. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

OTOH, talking to no audience is like talking to stones, and produces no fruit. Not to belittle your point, because street preaching has its place, but so does a Christian music concert or Christian drama. Not everyone is gifted at preaching like Paul. Some must resort to music like David.

14. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

So what will it take to be worth it, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc, etc. Go to that person that did get saved and ask them.

We need to remember, it's not the person doing the saving, it's the Holy Spirit that convicts the heart of the person of their sins and then it's their choice to turn to Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

God bless,
    RR

15. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

OTOH, talking to no audience is like talking to stones, and produces no fruit. Not to belittle your point, because street preaching has its place, but so does a Christian music concert or Christian drama. Not everyone is gifted at preaching like Paul. Some must resort to music like David. </font>[/QUOTE]Agreed. But some of the concerts and dramas today in the churches are more worldly than spiritual.

16. MTA

MTA New Member

No, I am not suggesting concerts or drama productions, although each might be extremely beneficial at the appropriate time and in the appropriate setting. Hmmmmmmm . . . kind of like street preaching??????

It seems that screaming at pedestrians or motorists that have little or no idea what in the world you profess or what doctrine you are promoting does little in the way of making disciples.

17. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

I think people can understand "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" like you and me, or "For God so loved the world...", or "Repent ye and believe the gospel", and the gospel is...

Street Preacher [​IMG]

18. MTA

MTA New Member

Trust me, I am not questioning the content of the message . . . only the delivery.

19. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Actually, in the Great Commission it is strongly implied that Jesus did tell us to get results, not just preach the Gospel.

Also, if I follow the pattern of Paul, I don't go to the street corner first, I focus my efforts where I will get the most likely positive results. In some cases that was the synagogue (Berea) in others it was the marketplace (Athens). Could the street preacher draw a bigger crowd with a tent meeting instead? Could he see more of a small crowd saved in a tent meeting than on a corner? Same message, different venue. Ultimately the preacher must decide. The point is not in drawing a big crowd. It is in most effectively using our gifts to further the kingdom with whatever crowd we have.

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the duty of a steward? To make money for the master? Nope.

"Moreover it is required in a steward that a man be found faithful." Faithful to the Master, including faithful proclamation of the Master's message.

But it is 100% the Master that will get results. You are wrong to say that the Great Commission implies Jesus telling me to get results.

Results are up to God. Salvation is NOT from my ability or persuasive speech, etc.

And the example of Paul in Athens - what church did Paul start from his preaching in Athens? None. He went to the synagogue (or where Jews were meeting like in Philippi) and preached to the religious crowd.