1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Streetpreaching?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Arubian Baptist, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

I wonder if there are any streetpreachers on this board, and if some disaprove this method and why?

For those that are still a publick witness on the street by streetpreaching, how did you got involved and what are your experiences.

I got introduced to streetpreaching about in the year 2000 with the European soccer champion games.

It was/is a great experience to me, though I have the feeling that many will not engaged themselves into streetpreaching.

What are your thoughts?

2. Pastor Chet

Pastor Chet New Member

When it comes to spreading the Gospel, street preaching should be predominant over simply inviting someone to church. Unfortunately it isn't that way. Where I live I am the only one that I know of that does street preaching
    in Christ
    chet

3. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

Thank you Pastor Chet for your reactions, if I look at the amount of replies to this message (1 so far) I am afraid that most people on this board are not into the streetpreaching.

Perhaps they think that Gods way is outdated, or they are just not interested in this topic.

One thing I learned, it takes a lot more to stand outside on the street and proclaim the Gospel, than to sit in church waiting for a unsaved to come inside.

This not to downgrade anyone, just a conclusion.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I don't know whether or not some of the things I do can be called "street preaching." When I hear the term, I think of someone standing on a street corner yelling at passers-by. That's probably an unfair characterization.

What I seek to do is to approach folks one-on-one in a non-threatening way and invite them to hear the gospel. Those that will listen, I will speak to. I don't know if that's called "street preaching" or not, but I do know that we are all called to witness.

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I remember when I ran away from Foster care, I ran to Veince Beach, CA! And a Preacher would go on the corner in LA, and preach. He had one of thos 2 wheel grocery carts, full of Bibles, doughnuts, and a thermos of coffee. He would begin preaching. And me and a Indian boy, the same age, would run along side of him as he walked to his destination to Preach.

Once there; where it was he was going, on the corner, he would bring out his Bible and begin speaking. Me and my friend were his best audience. We ploped right down on the concret, and we woulds stay there until he was done. He always said, "You kids want some doughnuts," And well of course we did, at the time that is what we were there for. We were hungry.

But do not get discouraged in this story. That was in 1968. In NewArk, Texas, 1975, I gave myself to the Lord. I never forgot that Pastor! Tho thousands of miles from that place, and several years later, That Pastor and what he did has never left my testimony in what led me to the Lord.

I do not even know that Pastor. I know he had a sheltered home for men in LA, but I do not know his name. I wish I did, I would go thank him. But perhaps I wasn't suppose to know his name. For I was to give all Glory, Honor, and Praise to the Lord.

That man had a great impact on my life. At the time I was there for the doughnuts. I was hungry. Little did I know that in 2003, I would tell you, I was hungry for the Word!

Praise God!

I cannot tell that man thank you. As I do not know his name. So how about this. Thank you! Because whether you know it now, or later, you do have a impact on others.

God Bless you! And Thank you!

Sherrie

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Someone brought this up a few weeks ago. The only 'Street Preaching' I've ever seen is the men standing at intersections waving their Bibles and shouting out. Happy Valley Baptist Church in Villa Rica, Ga. does this every week. They have all four corners at the Wal-Mart intersection and 3 junctions at the little shopping mall covered with men and teens shouting and holding up posters with pictures of Jesus on the cross or signs with verses saying 'Repent or Hell' type messages. When cars get stopped at the red lights, they approach the cars with tracts.

Their men are required to do this as members and the parents who send their kids to their private school have to go out weekly. Kids over the age of 4 must give an account of who they have witnessed to each week. I got this info from the preacher himself when we first moved here. The women and girls must wear long dresses or skirts only, too.

Diane

7. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

Diane, I would have a problem with that church.
    Street preaching should be God led, not mandated by a church or its pastor.
    And making children give account of who they witnessed to? I can see if they want to do so willingly, but I don't think this is what Jesus had in mind when he said to go out in the world and spread the Good News.

8. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sherrie, that was a moving story. Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

When my oldest son was in college, he did some street preaching. In our town, the teen-aged boys from our church, along with several male adults, stood outside the tavern doors at closing time and took turns preaching while the others handed out tracts. Some of the bar patrons were too ashamed to come out the door, so the Holy Spirit was convicting. [​IMG]

Sherrie: It was no accident that you met this street preacher. "Some sow seeds, some water, and God gives the increase."!

Blessings,
    Sue

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have never done street preaching per sae, I have taken survey forms onto the street in order to witness to people. I think that it is important to bring the church to the people.

One effective way for public evangalism can be an evangalism stall at a local market where you hand out free tracts and Bibles and talk to people about Jesus.

11. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Arubian Baptist;
    Your post caught my eye,because the fellow I bought this computer from I met down town he's a street preacher. He preaches near a bus stop where I catch my bus home. I have to tell you I admire the man because all I've ever seen from the man is an honest love for the people he is trying to reach. I admire him for having the determination to do God's will.
    This computer is how I found Baptistboard He had erased all his files but left Baptistboard listed as a favorite on the browser so I clicked on it and here I am.
    I've never really heard him complain about the people who no doubt, must give him a hard time, but on occasion I have noticed that he will be just talking and praying with people. Sometime I'll ask him what it's like.I can only imagine that it can't be all that easy.
    May God bless You;
    Mike

12. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

I think that general streetpreaching is great but I'm no big fan of fire and brimstone preaching as I've found that its not very effective. It is a conversion by fear and when the fear is removed or out of mind the undesirable behaviors usually return. Also when done in a public context it just makes people mad and reinforces any negative stereotypes about Christians that society has. Most of the effective public ministry I've4 observed was love and fellowship based.

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Dear Friends,
    I am a pastor and a street preacher. Our people love to go out on a Saturday morning and meet on the street corner and sing the "Old Rugged Cross", "Blessed Assurance", "He Keeps Me Singing" and "What Can Wash Away My Sin". It is not a mandatory meeting and our people are not ostrasized for not going, just like everyone doesn't go to the Jail ministry and Nursing Home ministry. We all have our different callings and places for God to use us. My preaching on the street is no different than my preaching in the pulpit or at the jail or nursing home. I cannot preach on heaven without preaching on everlasting judgement. I cannot preach on the cleansing Blood without preaching on the vileness of sin. Not all street preachers "strive" with the public, which in my definition is to have some contention other than the Cross of the Lord Jesus. It is a blessing here in Arkansas to have people stop and sing with you and thank you for being out on the street. It is soooooo..very different from the "Magnificient Mile" in Chicago where you are scum for being there. Don't be quick to judge all works as the same and all churches as the same.

1 Cor 1:21-25
    For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
    For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
    But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
    But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
    Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Thanks ------Bart

14. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Xingyi Warrior....While I agree with what you say...perhaps every topic on the Lord should not be that way...but please do not forget we must Fear and love God above all things!

There is a 50-50 choice. Accept Jesus Christ and have an eternity with Him in Heaven...or not accept him and have an eternity of fire and Brimestone. There is no inbetween. Lukewarm is spit out.

God is the creator of all things...even His righteous wrath.

Sherrie

15. Xingyi Warrior

I'm not saying throw out condemnation preaching altogether because it is found in the word and as such is to be conveyed. What I find little utility in is these massive revivals designed as such that elicit a rapid change in peoples behavior only to have them revert back once its all over. Seen it happen too many times.

16. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Are you saying that "condemnation preaching" should be "thrown out" and only a little amount left and by what scale do we know how much is enough? By your scale? I have never seen a massive revival through street preaching. What do you mean by "utility"? Have there not been those who feigned faith and fell away from the beginning of Christ's ministry? Do we look for a certain "sucessful" goal in our preaching? I believe that one reason God has us preaching to the lost is so that in Hell they will remember that God gave them an opportunity and they rejected Him.

Thanks -------Bart

17. Xingyi Warrior

Let me rephase myself. I find that condemnation/fire and brimstone revivals are commonly used to up the ante on collection plate revenues and are perhaps unknowingly promoted as such. Guilt is the gift that keeps on giving. I am not against tithing it is in the Word. But I have seen far greater soulwinning pursiuts. I beleive that once a person is truly saved then they are saved for life. But sometimes I question the authenticity of many salvation experiences. No one wants to go to hell. 99.9% of people in society if shown whats in store for them would say that they don't want to go. I have seen massive alter calls in such meetings and honestly if everyone who went down front was really converted then the United States would be a wonderful thriving place with 90% of the population "Born Again". Studies have shown that negative reinforcement is an ineffective strategy for eliciting behavior change in humans. The classic example was the Scared Straight program of the 80's where they took juevenile delinquents into prisions to experience firsthand what was in store. The program was a complete failure as most of the participants ended up in prison anyway. There are other studies as well.

18. Preacher Nathan Knight

I have been street preaching with Happy Valley Baptist Church in Villa Rica. My brother-in-law is a preacher there. They have a wonderful fundamental, independent, KJV Bible believing church.

19. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Warrior,

Thanks for your post and believe me, I truly think that you have "a bad taste in your mouth" so to speak because of easy believism. There is always a chance for the flash in the pan type of experience. (Lk 17) "the niner club" only one was "made whole" when ten were cleansed. Only one had a thankful heart and was humble to change directions and glorify God returning to Christ. So even the "light" approach has it's drawbacks. You are right about the masses and only a few leaving the boat to follow Christ, yet, the Lord Christ never drew back and when it was necessary skinned a few hides. He was gentle to those who were ready. May God be our guide and may the Spirit of God direct us. Paul said that he came not with enticing words which man's wisdom teacheth but in the power of God. We need to understand that the power of God is with His Word and not necessarily with a shouting preacher. Many times I have to shout to be heard. I do not shout because I am full of wrath. We used to preach where 25,000 people passed by in one hour with all the traffic and commotion. "Few there be that find it"

Once again Thanks ------Bart

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I would like to say, thank God for good King James Bible believing street preachers.

Also, thank you for that testimony Sherrie, that was Great!