1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strong Drink (Deut. 14:26)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hawaiiski, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

And you know brothers don't lie.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I wonder how many threads on alcohol it takes for people to realize that no conclusion is ever reached, and no ones mind is changed. Maybe another 100? It is the same old tired arguments over and over. The wine was ferminted, no it wasnt, on and on.

It does not take a lot of common sense, life experience, and reading of the Scripture to realize there is nothing good from alcohol.

For those who think they had made the technical case the Bible does not teach abstainence, maybe that is true, maybe not. What is it you are trying to prove by promoting your alcohol agenda? If you want to drink, then by all means drink. Maybe if you feel about it strongly enough, you can sing "99 bottles of beer on the wall" as your invitation song. Anyone who sees anything good in alcohol has got a screw loose, Biblically or otherwise.

3. Sober_Baptist

Sober_Baptist New Member

Seeing as you're in Kentucky, your friend could be a Boone

Boones Farm, ?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We no longer drink for various reasons (but still love to cook with alcohol) but no where in Scripture does it say to NOT drink. I'm sorry but it just doesn't.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If that avatar is your image, maybe you should try some. You are not looking so well.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My point is quite simple. The Bible strongly encourages people not to drink. How is that for wording? If you add life experience like I have seen, plus common sense, there is nothing good about the subject, nothing. I would be for abstaining if I never had opened a Bible. :BangHead:

7. His Blood Spoke My Name

If one does a careful study of the Word of God, one will find several verses that strictly forbid the consumption of alcohol.

[Ad hominem attack deleted]

#47 His Blood Spoke My Name, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2007
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The admonition is not to drink the wine while it is ruddy and moving, that is while it is still in the state of fermentation and it is still cloudy and bubbling.

Why?

Growing up in an old world Italian enivornment I can tell you why...

Because it is so deceptive, it still has the fruity sweet blush of grapejuce and is delicious (which masks the alcohol taste) and it is so very easy to drink to much and fall down drunk.

Mature naturally fermented wine with no grain alcohol or sugar fortification is tart, somewhat bitter and that normally is disciplining in and of itself (unless one is after the consciousness altering and people will put themselves through all kinds of hell to achieve it).

I am an abstainer now but not because of the concept that alcohol is intrinsically evil but that it is so offensive to so many Baptist Christians.

In another issue: Surprisingly (to me anyway) some Baptists are offended by the typical Baptist Welch's Grape Juice of communion and will only ever use fermented alcoholic wine for the Lord's Table.

HankD

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

Then how do you explain the many people who buy beer and wine and get drunk after it has already been fermented?

People talk about how much they like the taste of their wines and beers that have gone through the fermentation process. The deception is not just during the fermentation, but after fermentation as well.

Try again.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't need to try again.

I stated why it is so deceptive because the alcohol taste is masked in "new wine" and people like Noah (perhaps) who wouldn't normally drink too much wine would be deceived into thinking there is no harm in drinking this bubbly "grape juice"

I already explained why people buy fully fermented or distilled liquor.

Let me repeat, I am an abstainer and it is for people who are offended by alcohol that I abstain, so I don't have an axe to grind except for the only NT scriptural principal for abstinence.

Romans 14
    20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
    21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
    22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
    23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

HankD

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

The passage in Romans 14 is not the only clear command for abstinence. There are at least 4 others that tell us to abstain.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I can't for the life of me recall the source, but I read just this week about a Baptist church in Georgia which has instituted a "Beer and Theology Thursday."

It's a weekly discussion of theology in a coffeehouse or beer joint setting.

This is nothing new. I found a Catholic church in New Jersey which does the same thing.

I think the beer is free at both places. And they both draw some good crowds. Must be the free theology.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to set the record staight it is not the alcoholic beverage that is evil:

Matthew 15
    17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
    18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.​

God created alcohol. IMO, to codemn it as evil is pompous piety.

Also, it is easy to condemn others for those "sins" which we ourselves do not commit.

However it is certainly true that alcohol abstinence is the best policy in this society seeing how many lives have been destroyed by its abuse.

And that is Jesus point. The heart is the real problem. People want to drown their miseries or block out the conviction of sin or quieten their conscience with alcohol or drugs rather than to come to the light.
    In fact people can and do escape their misery in an overindulgence of "good" things. The heart is the problem.

Some people escape into alcoholism, others escape into sports (for instance).

John 3
    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.​

HankD

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

It is not pompous to agree with the Word that teaches abstainence.

As was pointed out earlier, Romans 14 clearly shows abstinence. At least 4 other verses clearly tell us to abstain from wine.

I would submit that is is pompous to disagree with the Word of God that teaches abstinence

15. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

The following was written by William Kelly, a pre-fundamentalist fundamentalist...if you will...

The rest is here.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How silly is the comparison of losing oneself in alcohol and sports. Sports never killed someone on the highways, caused the breakup of a marriage, or destroyed lives beyond hope.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What is with all the dead people avatars?

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

There's been a great deal of buzz about this thread. Both sides are offering lots of proof. OH, enough puns. Let me remind you of an incredibly wise poster's prophetic words in days of old:

19. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Abuse is a problem for sinners.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that an overindulgence in sports has caused many a woman to depart from her man.

HankD