1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strong Drink -The Baptist Truth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mes228, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That simply means to abstain from evil every time it appears, not abstain from anything that someone else might think is evil.

If you doubt that interpretation, think of our model for the Christian life, Jesus Himself... He purposely violated the teachings of the scribes and Pharisees on numerous occasions. Healing on the sabbath, touching the leper, etc.

2. Jeremiah Hart

Jeremiah Hart New Member

I am not saying to do or not do something because someone else thinks you should or shouldn't. If I lived my life like that, I would be a mess. It all comes back to the Bible. Evil is not what someone thinks, it is what the Law says it is. Read the first 7 chapters of Romans and you can see that that is true.
    So, that is why I quoted the Bible when I made my first post. This is not my opinion, it is the Bible. If you can drink white wine--go ahead--you will answer to God for that, not I.

And BTW, there are a lot of stuff I need to work on myself with, because I am a sinner just like everyone else. So, I am not posting this with a "I am better than you" attitude.

Just reminder what the Bible definition of sin is James 4:17 and in order to KNOW something we have to get our knowledge from the Bible, or we will be in trouble.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right, but a lot of people do live that way.

I agree.

Yes, but you quoted a verse out of context, declared it "DOCTRINE" and added your humorous opinion that one "you can drink it as long as you don't look." Your opinion is not the Bible and verses wrested out-of-context and misinterpreted are not doctrine.

I said nothing about white wine. That was someone else.

I didn't get that impression. You did not seem holier-than-thou at all.

Yes, that's why I can't go along with those who claim that wine is inherently evil, Jesus didn't make or drink wine, and Christians should not ever partake of wine. That's not biblical. That opinion is the historical by-product of the 19th-century prohibition movement in the United States.

4. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am back over 1000 posts again...

I am not as smart as many on here in regards to the Bible. I lean towards the more conservative side saying to stay away from all alcohol all the time. However, I also admit I could be wrong and I need several more years of study and knowledge IMO to be able to form a 100% answer and even then my answer could change.

However, if you go back to a very basic and simple way to make decisions in life you can get a sheet a paper and draw a big line in the middle of it and label one side "pros" and the other side "cons". I think the "cons" side would always be the winner of the topic of alcohol to either drink it or not.

On another note I am always being called a hyporcrite on this topic because I support, watch, and even attend many sporting events that cater to alcohol immensely not to mention the cheerleaders. I have learned to pretty much block out the music, cussing, alcohol adverts, and cheerleaders at ball games. Maybe I am a hypocrite and should quit watching and supporting sports because of all of the bad things going on?

Sorry for rambling on and getting a bit off topic...

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

I was reading through my Works of Josephus this morning and came across the following information which I found to be quite enlightening:

This clearly shows that the freshly squeezed grape juice is that which makes the heart glad.

Here is the drink offering given to the priests, not drank, but poured out around the altar.

Are we as Christians not kings and priests unto Christ? Have we not put on His Righteousness? If we are His, we are in His service and not to partake of any wine lest we forget the law and pervert righteous judgment.

#105 His Blood Spoke My Name, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Are "Antiquities" and "The Jewish War" now the 67th and 68th books of 'Protestant' Scripture?

Boy, that's news to me!

Maybe we can now place "The Gospel of Judas" and "The Davinci Code" as nos. 69 and 70, adding any other new books as "modern scholarship" demands, hunh? :rolleyes:

Ed

7. His Blood Spoke My Name

Ed,

No, they are not editions of the Bible, but History revealed during that period sheds light on what the Word of God was saying wine that was accepted consisted of. History proves that 'wine that maketh the heart glad' was nothing but grape juice freshly squeezed from the clusters.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That showed no such thing. It stated that the wine (wine is ALWAYS alcoholic) was made from three clusters of grapes. If you squeeze any grape, it IMMEDIATELY begins to ferment, as the sugar and yeast interact.
    Yep, sure sounds like the side affects of drinking a freshly squeezed glass of grape juice! :rolleyes:

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

:laugh: This discussion is so silly. That comment made me laugh webdog.

10. Jeremiah Hart

Jeremiah Hart New Member

Sorry, that was the poster before.

And the comment about not looking but going ahead a drinking, that is not belief at all, just a humorious remark, like you said. Was just livening up the mood.:thumbs:

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

Wine is always alcoholic nowadays, but it was not so 4,000 years before Christ.

Josephus was giving an account of what we read in the Book of Genesis when Joseph told the dream where wine was squeezed directly from the cluster into the Pharaoh's cup.

History also records artifacts unearthed that have etchings of one squeezing the wine directly from a cluster into a cup for immediate consumption.

I am sorry you disagree with historical writings and with the Word of God as to that which 'maketh the heart glad'.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Only one problem...it wasn't consumed directly after it was squeezed...

I see:
    A. grapes squeezed into the kings cup
    B. cup given to whomever to "strain"
    C. at some point the cup with WINE was given back to the king to drink.
    This is getting real lame. I'm disagreeing with YOU...not the Word of God. I know what Scripture means by "maketh the heart glad". I'm disagreeing with YOUR interpretation of that. Please stop with the "if you disagree with me, you disagree with God" attitude.

13. His Blood Spoke My Name

You are disagreeing with the Word of God. Isaiah clearly shows the juice of the grape is called wine while it is still in the cluster.
    The new wine, that which is sweet and unfermented is found in the cluster. Not made after it is squeezed and strained. The straining described was just to get stems or skins out of the wine.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

THANK YOU! I didn't think anybody was ever going to say it!!! :applause:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

BLASHPHEMY!! You are not...repeat NOT...the Word of God!!! I'm disagreeing with YOU!!

The "new wine" on the cluster were grapes that were already FERMENTING because they were past the harvest point. Animals and insects get drunk off this same "new wine" if they eat the grapes. The juice of the grape referring to "new wine" was less alcoholic wine than the "good" wine that was more alcoholic. This is FACT.

16. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Thus saith Brandon: I second that :laugh:

17. standingfirminChrist

webdog,

It is not HBSMN you disagree with, it is the Word of God. That new wine that is spoken of is not the 'yayin' that can be translated 'fermented or non-fermented', but it is the Hebrew word 'tiyrowsh' which is always translated as 'fresh, non-fermented wine'.

HBSMN has shown that fresh wine is indeed in the grape cluster.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't this make you an idolater for equating HBSMN with the Word of God? Just wondering...
    "fresh wine" is an oxymoron, as wine never goes bad. There alcoholic and less alcoholic wine. Even "non alcoholic" wine in the stores today has a trace of alcohol.'s

#119 webdog, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  20. standingfirminChrist

That is about the most ridiculous accusation you have made to date, webdog.

Because what HBSMN said lined up with the Word of God and I agree with the Word of God, you accuse me of being an idolator?

You sir, need to study the Word of God with the mind of Christ rather than presuppositions that all wine is alcoholic as you posted in an earlier post.

Read the Word of God and Historical records to see what wine was back 2,000 to 6,000 years ago, not the books written by modern man.

Josephus was a famous historian who apparently gave himself to seeking out the truth of what happened during those days of Pharaoh's and kings.

The account posted by HBSMN, and Scripture clearly show that non-alcoholic wine was served and drank, and preferred above the alcoholic wine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.