1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strong's Concordance

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Priscilla Ann, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I keep hearing that a Strong's Concordance is essential for in-depth bible study. Isn't a Strong's Concordance useful ONLY if you read the King James Version of the bible? Or can it be used with other translations as well?

It's a huge book, and I hate to invest in it if it can only be used with a KJV.

Thanks for your help!

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Priscilla Ann, I use a Strong's even though I usually study from versions that are not King James (though I do use a NKJV). The only way it doesn't work is when the word you are looking up is translated differently in the King James than the Bible you are using. In most cases, it works okay. There are variations but it's still a good tool.

Do you know about the online resources? Go to Bible Gateway at
    http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible

and Crosswalk at
    http://bible.crosswalk.com/

where you can look up words or phrases in various versions.

3. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Thanks, Marcia, for your suggestions. I have used the online resources a bit, but I guess I'm a book lover, so like to have a hard copy of frequently used sources. I will probably invest in a Strong's; Amazon.com has an edition for only $13.98 -- probably worth the investment.

I've only been a bible-based Christian for about 8 years, so sometimes still feel like a baby Christian since I wasn't raised on the bible as many here were. I appreciate the input from those who have known scripture from childhood.

Thanks again, Marcia!

Priscilla Ann

4. Shammai

Shammai New Member

Priscilla Ann - There are Concordances for different translations of the Bible (although there are certainly not concordances for many of them).

For example, Zondervan makes an NIV concordance.

Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible would work best with Young's translation.

The Strongest NASB Exhaustive Concordance would work with NASB

Checking Amazon and searching for Concordance turned up 11027 matches (which included Stephen King's Dark Tower ? ? ? ? ? )

You might do an amazon search for your translation plus the word concordance.

Install e-sword and you can get a digital copy of Strong's Concordance with KJV for free! No, it doesn't beat a book in the hand, but it is handy!

http://e-sword.net

5. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Shammai:

Thank you so much. I did not know about
    e-sword.net. I will check it out!

Priscilla Ann

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I've only been a believer for 13 yrs. and was saved at a very "mature" age. ;) Although I went to various churches growing up (including a generic Protestant service overseas), I was not in a Christian family and I did not know the Bible. I still feel like a baby Christian sometimes, too. I've had to learn a lot to catch up!

I know what you mean about having a book in your hand vs. the computer. I do a lot of searches for passages online, but sometimes I use the Strong's because you can run down the whole list of passages with that particular word pretty quickly.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

e-sword is great. My huge paper strong's is gathering dust on the shelf because of the KJV w/strongs numbers version available in e-sword.

8. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I just checked out e-sword. Wow! I had no idea this extensive resource was available online. Maybe I won't have to buy a bulky concordance after all; or if I do, I can purchase an inexpensive one.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

9. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Marcia:

I know what you mean about being saved at a very "mature" age. I was 38 and am now 46. Better late than never...right?

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Truthfully, I prefer Young's to Strong. Strong's shows you where all the english words were used with various Greek/Hebrew nuances. Young's shows the word, it's particular Greek or Hebrew, then wherever that particular original word is used throughout the Bible. Young's is more helpful in that way.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Oh, and for a computer study tool, they don't get any better or cheaper than Online Bible. I'll post the website later.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

I will sometimes use the KJV too along with my translation in case I need to look up a word that is different, I can see what my word is in the KJV and look that up. They mean the same thing in bibnlical context.