1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stryper.

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any Stryper fans out there?

I got out there album "Against the Law" and gave it a run. Michael Sweet has an amazing voice.

Does anyone know what the guys from Stryper are up to these days?

2. Jacob

Jacob Member

I'm a big fan of 80's and early 90's Christian metal. I first saw Stryper in 1985 at Greenfest '85 in Kitchener Ontario, Canada. This was just before Soldiers Under Command was released. The Lord really used Christian metal to reach me.

Check out this website to see what Robert Sweet is up to.

http://www.blissed.biz/index2.html

Jacob.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't usually admit this but I had a couple of Stryper albums.

The music was OK if you take it for what it was but the lyrics were so cliched and heavy handed.

I liked it at the time but now it just makes me laugh.

I always thought they were a little effeminate.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What spiritual qualities are seen in the lives of this group (assume Stripper is a "group")?

I'm on the opposite side of so-called christian rock. So would appreciate some unbiased infor.

Tanks!

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

When they came to Adelaide for a concert, some groupies went backstage. Instead of getting what they were after they got a two hour lecture on waiting until you are married.

This rumour went all over Adelaide after their concert.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why these groupies thought they would get anything other than a sermon. :rolleyes:

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Because fame attracts needy people.

Christian or not, people want to be close to famous people because they think that this validates them somehow.

Even Billy Graham refuses to be in a room alone with a woman.

8. Jacob

Jacob Member

Of course I didn't have a personal relationship with them but when I heard them speak out about their faith in interviews and on stage, they were right on. The front men of many of the best Christian metal bands were serious Bible studiers and preachers - Dale Thompson of Bride, Dan McCabe of Daniel Band and Glen Keiser of Ressurection Band were/are excellent.

All the bands just encouraged kids like me (at the time) to follow the Lord. My parents were skeptical at first but in the end they were sold by the salvation and Chrisitan lifestyle it spurred me into.

Two of the members of Stryper did start to backslide during their last album, fortunately the band leader recognized this and broke up the band. As I understand it, now all the former members are following the Lord closely.

Jacob.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Don't forget Dale Thompson's partner in crime, Greg Martin.

Martin is the founder of the Kentucky Headhunters and is a part time member of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I've always been impressed by Martin's command of the Bible and his low key preaching style.

Also, don't forget Dana Key, who semi-retired from music to be a pastor.

10. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I don't admit this fact frequently but my wife and I had Sweet's "Honestly" sang at our wedding. What is even funnier than having a Stryper song at the wedding was the fact that we were married in an extremely legalistic IFB church. Very few, if any, of the fundies who enjoyed that awesome love song that wonderful day had any clue they were experiencing (and even amening!!!) a Stryper song. We still get cracked up when we think about it.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember ever listening to Stryper, but I do remember they had a good name for one their albums: "To hell with the devil!" I'll bet there are some here would say that is an inappropriate title [they might even say it's worldly (??)], but have no argument with that children's song with the phrase "If the devil doesn't like it, he can sit on a tack!"

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because fame attracts needy people.

Even Billy Graham refuses to be in a room alone with a woman.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ah, yes. The Billy Graham Groupies are always making the headlines. :rolleyes:

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

As usual, you're missing the point.