1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

students and alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SAMPLEWOW, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Shiloh said:

I doesn't make any difference if Helen [flower] or Johnv [love] or anyone else think drinking is ok for a Child of God....it's still sin.

I don't know . . . I have a tendency to believe the opposite of whatever you post. [​IMG]

2. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I don't know . . .
    ---------------------------------------
    Well said!

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not according to scripture.

Thanks for not beating a dead horse per another posters' request.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

A challenge........ talk to 10 Independent Baptist leaders in our country (you remember this is a Baptist board...right?). Give us their names and quote them. I mean well known men not some unkown preacher. E-mail or call some Bible colleges that are independent Baptist. Here is the question. What does the Bible say about the consumption of alcohol for a Christian today?
    I'm saying you won't do it. [​IMG]

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A challenge... take your bible, and see what it says about alcohol. You'll find that scripture permits consumption, but condemns drunkenness. I'm saying you won't do it.

BTW, I couldn't help but notice that only "Independent" Baptists qualify for you as Baptists. :rolleyes:

Again, thank for not beating a dead horse at another poster's request.

6. jw

jw New Member

Forget the the Priesthood of the Believer - if it don't have Jack Schapps stamp on it, it ain't Bible! :rolleyes:

7. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

After feeding this post through the fertilizer detector this is what I came up with for a translation. Much more accurate I think.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why IFB? (Especially when many of us are not IFB for reasons of doctrine and ecclesiology.)

But not an IFB board. Remember there are many types of Christ-following Bible-believing Baptists out there.

Why are famous people more of an authority than obscure persons?

Why are independent Baptist Bible colleges more authoritative than any other school?

The scripture answers that one clearly for those who are interested in taking the whole counsel of God on the matter.

It doesn’t matter if the entire IFB community spoke with one voice on the subject, they don’t outrank the written word of scripture.

Well I won’t do it because it would demonstrate that I care more about what certain people believe than what scripture clearly teaches.

If you are an IFB person and you want to submit to the alleged authority of the most prominent members of the IFB community, then do it. Just don’t expect non-IFB Baptists to ditch scriptural convictions to do what is popular with the IFB community. :rolleyes:

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

jw said:

Jack Schapps

Mmmmm . . . schnapps . . .

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a Southern Baptist, I used to take a bit of heat from the local IFB pastor for being tied to a "denominational machine" and "getting my marching orders" from Nashville. Sounds like IFB folks have a worse hierarchy than denominational folks. ;)

11. jw

jw New Member

Here's another challenge..

Name 10 IFB preachers who are famous for something other than being a moron.

12. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Would be easy to name 10 agnostics on this blasphemous board!

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

jw,

where do you get off being so rude? Your comment was in no way Christ-like, and rather shows you to be the jerk instead of those who you accuse.

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

shiloh said:

Would be easy to name 10 agnostics on this blasphemous board!

OK, name 10 agnostics on this board, if it's so easy.

15. jw

jw New Member

Am I being rude? I did not insult anyone here. Simply stating a fact. Scholarship does not make one famous in IFB circles. If it does, please name 10 famous IFB preachers who are truely scholars. There just aren't any. The only ones you hear about are ones who rant and rave and bring reproach on the name of Christ and the IFB movement.

16. standingfirminChrist

Alright folks,

This is turning into something that is not Christ-like. Let's all take 10.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I still think we should heed Linda64's original request and not turn this into yet another alcohol thread, citing the beating of a dead horse.

Wise words, indeed.

18. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The OP wasn't about the right or wrong of drinking.

I think SAMPLEWOW is attending a Christian BIble college, if I remember right based on some of his prior posts. If it is a Baptist Bible college, then he might have reason to question the student privately about whether he thinks having an empty beer bottle is a good testimony. It might cause others to have a problem.

However, SAMPLE, how do you know it was a beer bottle? Root Beer comes in some very "beer-bottle-like" containers sometimes, and so does some non-alcoholic juices.

While I understand your hesitation and concern, we have to not be guilty of jumping to the wrong conclusion about people or what they have around them. An empty bottle is not an indication of sin, per se, nor is it proof of any "appearance of evil".

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

jw,

at the risk of hijacking the thread, I cannot let your statement stand unanswered. It is simply not true that IFB preachers are without scholarship. Your comments are highly inflammatory and show your own lack of several desired characteristics which shall for now remain unnamed.

My own preacher is a very learned man, though he does not feel the need to show off in front of others in order to prove how smart he is. I have met many learned, scholarly pastors and preachers within the ranks of IFB.

Simply because YOU may or may not have heard of them does not have any bearing on whether they are truly learned or not.

20. standingfirminChrist