1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study Bibles

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pete Richert, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Preacher Nathan Knight

the Rainbow study bible is not bad either.

2. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Here are my favorites

The NIV Study Bible (available in NASB,KJV also) is too me the best overall study Bible and is like carrying a Bible library with you. The charts, history are great!

The Concordia Self Study Bible NIV is a heavily edited Lutheran version of the NIV Study Bible and has book introductions from Martin Luther's works. Those who are Calvinist in theology will find this study Bible helpful because of similarities between Calvinist and Lutheran theology. Weak points are the teachings on consubstatiation and the Lutheran view of baptismal regeneration. Overall an excellent Study Bible however. Rumors have been that it may become available in ESV but no confirmation yet.

The Thompson Chain Referance is unmatched for helping prepare sermons or Bible studies because of the chain referance system. Weak points is it is not a quick referance Bible and some handy versions have print that is too small.

New Geneva Study Bible aka Reformation Study Bible is the best Calvinist study Bible available. If you are Calvinist or wish to understand Calvinism this Bible is a must. Weak points is article on infant baptism (though it is respectful to the Baptist position) and the print needs to be bigger.

MacArthur Study Bible is also a Calvinist Study Bible. MacArthur puts Calvinist terms in more of a user friendly mode and would be a better study Bible except for 2 flaws...Dispensationalism which he is dogmatic on and hurts this Bible much and this Bible has no concordance. Not having a concordance is inexcusable for an otherwise great study Bible,

[ April 09, 2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Kiffin ]

3. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

My niece is graduating High School soon, She was in church till the last 2 or so years when my Brother-in-law ( who was raised in church and went to a solid Bible college) has stopped going to church.
    I personally use software based study tools. I am looking for a good solid study Bible to give as a Graduation gift to her. It needs to be for a college level kid, who is flighty and will need a lot of prayer. Suggestions?

4. td

td New Member

Some years ago I used a Quest Study Bible. It has an unusual format in that the commentary is in questions with answers. I found it to be a great Bible for someone who is relatively new in the faith. I started giving them as gifts to new believers or people that I witnessed to. I gave one to a co-worker that had been out of church since childhood. She started reading it and said she couldn't put it down. She and her husband later joined a church and became active members. I have since moved on to an NIV Study Bible but The Quest is my sword of choice for evangelism.