1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study Bibles

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Pathwalker, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Pathwalker

Pathwalker New Member

What is the best Study Bible out today?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way too complicated, Pathwalker. It will depend on whether you can handle various translations or are kjvo.

The NIV Study Bible is a great (and cheap) study bible if you're into the NIV

The MacArthur Study Bible is fabulous for Baptists (he is calvinistic and dispensational and you can't beat that!) and is NKJV, the version of choice for me.

Old standby and one I grew up with is the Scofield Reference Bible (1909 edition or early, not the "new" Scofield where they talk about the ordinances as "sacraments) and is KJV. I think they have it in other versions, too.

And one vote for the Reformer Study Bible (called the New Geneva Study Bible previously) which is way reformed - duh - and almost a little anti-baptist bias.

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Enjoying my Ryrie.

4. west

west New Member

All the ones mentioned above I have and like .I also have and like the notes of the Life Applicaiton Study Bible .I have one in NLT and NIV .
    The Scofield that Dr.Bob mentioned I don't have .I have the newer one in KJV and another Scofield in NIV .

5. HOHNancy

HOHNancy New Member

NIV Life Application Study Bible. [​IMG] 2nd favorite is the NIV Quest Study Bible. [​IMG]

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I used the Scofield for years but now use the KJ Study Bible ( I am kj preferred).My understanding is the NASB & NIV also have good study Bibles.My sister really likes the Life Application Bible.Lots of people like Ryrie or McCaurthor study Bibles
    The above would probably be you top choices.I would check to see what you could check out for free on the internet before spending any money especially if your funds are limited. Study Bibles are generally expensive.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Myself ,I'm looking for a computer that can either spell or forces me to edit my entries.

8. Turpius

Turpius New Member

All I have is a "new" Scofield-KJV which I don't really use anymore. I prefer using a plain text Bible and use separate volumes from concordances and commentaries.

9. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

What about Dake's Annotated Reference Bible?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Dake's is full of faulty teaching and error in theology. Its teachings are often reflected in the heretical teachings of Word Faith.

Another article on Dake's

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

It depends on the application. I just got the MacArthur as a present for my ordination and It is very practical. Scofield will deal with dispensationalism, and Ryrie is very practical. My first study Bible was the new open study bible (KJV) and I enjoyed it much. Right now my main Bible is a wide margin Cambridge KJV and it only has center column cross referances. It is my study Bible.

12. Pathwalker

Pathwalker New Member

I have seen the " Open Study Bible" KJV, does this also come in wide margin?

13. BruceB

BruceB New Member

I have tried several study Bible's and found I like the Baptist Study Edition published by Nelson. It comes in the NKJV (one of my three favorite translations) and has study notes compiled by W.A.Criswell. The notes are on the bottom of the page, under the text, which I prefer as opposed to being in a separate section. If you can still find a copy (discontinued I think) look it over and see what you think. I found a new, leatherbound copy at a Books-A-Million store last June for $35.00 - it has been worth the investment to me. BruceB

14. west

west New Member

If I may add another favorite of mine is John MacArthur's .

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The best study Bible out there is the Bible that is studied not a book of notes that one reads.

People will get the same knowledge they can get from a "study Bible" if they will simply read. Most people who buy a study Bible, buy it because it agrees with what they believe. If they already know what they believe and can make that kind of critical evaluation then why buy a study Bible.

For the first three years of my Christian life I read my Bible one hour each day and studying it. During that time I never had any other helps. Then I bought a concordance and spent a little less time reading. Then when I bought other books I spent even less time reading my Bible until one day I realized I was spending so much time reading what others thought instead of reading my Bible. I put those books away and started reading my Bible more again. To this day I spend much more time on the text itself rather than reading what others think. Sometimes our time can be spent trying to digest what other have written rather than the text itself.

What I suggest is for people to spend their money on a plain Bible and then buy some good books on the background of each book of the Bible. If you understand well the background of each book the rest is usually rather easy.

Furthermore how many of those study Bibles are names after people and how many of those people give to missions with their profits.

16. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have Nelsons NKJV Study Bible and I find it really helpful. In fact pretty much anything published by Nelson is worthwhile!

17. west

west New Member

You know I have a "Wesley Study Bible " its published
    by Nelson .I think its the same as the NKJV but I think they add notes by John Wesley .Like I have a Concordia Self -Study Bible and it has the same notes as my NIV Study Bible but has notes added by Luther .

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will enjoy a paper back from Nelson with all the graphs, maps and charts (and permission to freely reproduce them for SS, cell groups, study) that have been gleaned from all their Bibles.

300 pages of truly worthwhile stuff for $20 US. I can't tell you how many charts or such I've copied and handed out to folks in church or class. They think I am really smart!!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=11543&netp_id=122529&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW

19. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

I just bought the NIV Learnig Bible and so far I am very, very pleased!

I bought this after looking a some key verses to see what their theory was on the Second Coming as most all presented a pre-mil view of the rapture. I like the NIV comments on those key verses better because they did not seem to come down on any on particular side except for as it was put forth in the scripture itself.Therefore, I am better able to let scripture speak for itself as I do in Luke 17.

20. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

You will enjoy a paper back from Nelson with all the graphs, maps and charts (and permission to freely reproduce them for SS, cell groups, study) that have been gleaned from all their Bibles.

300 pages of truly worthwhile stuff for $20 US. I can't tell you how many charts or such I've copied and handed out to folks in church or class. They think I am really smart!!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=11543&netp_id=122529&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks! [​IMG]