1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Submissiveness

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Scrapper, Oct 21, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It is called being the head of the house. </font>[/QUOTE]That is called being a control freak.

And I mean FREAK.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It's easy to see why you aren't married.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You REALLY don't know why I am not married.

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

No, I cannot swear the reason, but it appears that you would be unwilling to submit to a husband.

Now, before I am devoured by the other posters here, let me say that not being married is not necessarily a bad thing. Paul talks about a person being wholly given over to God and therefore not marrying.

I personally needed a wife and have nothing but admiration to someone who can remain unmarried and still faithful to Jesus Christ.

3. Karen

Karen Active Member

Dear Gina,
    I have to disagree that it is hopeless. On the national level, there are wide differences in what candidates are like, and a few votes can make a difference.
    On the ballot in OK are a number of propositions dealing with taxation, marriage, gambling, education. Voting will take place for U.S. Senator. There is a big difference between the two candidates. There are national congressional, state congressional, state senatorial, and corporation commission races. On the ballot will be the retention or recall of various state judges.
    There will be voting for numerous county officials. Including the road commissioners who keep the potholes fixed.
    I think there are many reasons to vote.

Karen

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am the one, at this point in my life, feel I can serve God better by not being married.

Your outside observations of comments I make towards control freak husbands miss where I am coming from in the service of Christ.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

and about Christians not drinking beer...
    Most Christians in other countries do drink. Its not really a spiritual issue PER SE, but a social one. It could become a spiritual issue.
    (Before I get blasted, no, I dont drink, at all.)

6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I understand and apologize if you were offended by what I said.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think being the head means the husband's wishes are law. I still say that submissiveness is voluntary. I am not sure how much authority the husband has based on the example of Christ's servanthood, selflessness, and love. If a husband is truly modeling that, he is not a tyrant and does not dictate rules to his wife.

If the wife feels a request is unreasonable or unfair, I think she has a right to feel this way as a human being made in the image of God, and she should then lovingly talk to her husband about it, and together, they should be able to resolve it before God. I am not endorsing rebellious attitudes or disharmony in marriage.

RE the issue (made by others) of not voting because it doesn't do any good, my philosophy is that you have no right to complain if you don't vote. The area where I live will go to Kerry (not the state maybe, but this area) and I could see casting a vote here as a waste of time (and in local elections, it usually is), but I vote anyway.

8. Rooster

Rooster New Member

the husbands wishes are not law but for a wife to submitt to them is, wheather she does, or doesnt isn't the husbands place to punish her though, that is Gods place. the volunteering of the submissivness, is compaired to the free will God has given to man to accept, or reject God.

9. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Christ had/has full athority, and remember Lazerus when they came to get Jesus, to tell him Lazerus was sick, Jesus knew Lazerus was going to die, but he didn't drop everything and go running because someone commanded him to, he did not submitt to thier wishes, he, being led by the Spirit waited, then after Lazerus was dead, then he went and raised him from the dead, and everyone questioned Jesus's authority, but Jesus knew better didn't he? Just because a husbands decision seems unfair, it doesn't mean it is, when growing up, people in authority over me told me not to do certain things, or to do certain things, and as a child I did not understand why, and though it was unfair, and they were being mean, but looking back, as an adult, I realize they were looking out for my best interest, the same goes for a husband looking out for the best interest of his wife, and family, like I said earlyer, if a woman is not willing to submitt to her husband, than she shouldn't marry him in the first place. it cuts two ways though, a husband should never ask his wife to do something out of an angry, heart, were he feels some need to push his authority around, God will judge a husband for that too.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I absolutely believe in submissivness.

I know for a fact that I have to change the battery in my wife's car before Monday or I'll be chastised!

(For you guys that are married, you can tell I am, huh?)

:D

Bottom line and back to reality: If you love your wife the way Christ loves His church, then submissiveness does not even become an issue.

I cannot expect my wife to be submissive if I fail in this critical area. [​IMG]

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I believe the concept of Submission comes much easier to an older woman who has been married many years to a good man of God.

I have no problem submitting to my husband. If I honestly think he's making a mistake, I'll listen to his thoughts and then, later.. not right then... mention to him that a thought occurred to me and my way of approaching this concern would be XYZ. He always listens and many times has already been thinking things through on his own and has come to that very conclusion. We're a team with him as our captain. If things go wrong, and I've been submissive according to God's word, then the responsibility is on his shoulders while we both know that I followed God's instructions as a wife. A strong man is not afraid to 'take charge' and make decisions for his family. [​IMG] A strong man is also not afraid to ask his wife's thoughts or advice either.

Diane

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

dianetavegia, your key is "to a good man of God". This refers back to the man loving his wife the way Christ loves His Church.

If this man were to beat you up once every three months, then I don't think you are responsible to show any submissiveness. Do you agree?

I say this because in my job I see a LOT of spousal abuse. Not only is it not right, but we get the woman away from the man as soon as possible. It is surprising how many of these jerks will quote those very same scriptures out of the Bible

(many claim to be Christians, and thump their wives when they get home from church if dinner is not served within ten minutes.)

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

True Story... Back in the early 1960's a woman with 3 tiny boys walked to our church. Every week... she walked. She finally admitted to my mother that her husband was an alcoholic who beat her and refused to let her use the car to attend church.

One Sunday, in walks hubby, a little under the weather, to see what was so great that his wife carried those little ones all that way. He found Jesus that day and became a revival preacher. A few years later the wife was found to have breast cancer. Back then there were no mammograms to catch things early. She died quiet soon afterwards. Bro. Jerry preached her sermon. All his Catholic relatives had admired and loved his wife very much and they came from all over .... 11 were saved that day.

Yes, if the Christian man that God led me to marry after much prayer hit me every 3 months, I would still remain submissive except if he asked me to do something which is a sin in God's eyes. I've seen first hand what God can do even with a situation like this.

BTW... NO Christian should date or marry a non Christian and certainly not marry anyone without praying and being sure of God's will.

Now you KNOW I'll be the bad Christian, evil woman with no heart for saying this don't you? I can't lie tho. This is how God speaks to MY heart.

Diane

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Not that I would ever condone spousal abuse, but do you think that at the judgment seat, a woman who submitted to an abusive husband even unto death for the sake of Christ's kingdom would lose her reward?

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

1 Corinthians 7:13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

16. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Diane, I love you [​IMG] it takes a truly God fearing Christian woman [​IMG] to read this thread, and not be offended, or become defensive, thinking that this is a war of the sexes, and take a humble, stance on the truth, not my truth, or mans truth, but Gods, Amen sister! [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No, but she might get thumped upside the head with it for being dense enough to think staying and being abused, when the word states we are to treat our bodies as the temple it is, was some type of cause for Christ's kingdom.

How'd this turn into that anyhow?

Gina

18. Rooster

Rooster New Member

1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

7:40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What law is being referred to there?
    One can leave a situation or call in the police to help rectify it without obtaining a divorce, and even if a divorce does happen it doesn't mean remarriage.
    Wonderful things happen when people get murdered or die tragic deaths, but it certainly doesn't make what happened an honorable or good thing. God can use any situation for his purpose and that's wonderful, but doing wrong in order to do right isn't the correct way to try to accomplish a good thing.
    Gina

20. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Matthew
    5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

1 Corinthians
    7:10 And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband:

7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife.

in 1 cor. it says"But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband" so there is truth to what you are saying, about leaving an abusive husband, but I think it also includes remaining single, and not remarrying, and to try to "reconcile" to your husband. unless he genuinly is an evil man, then you should pray for him, and let God deal with him. I am not judging anyone who has been divorced, and remarried, that is not my job, I don't know if I would be able to remain alone if I was divorced, and I pray to God that I never have to find out!