1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Successful Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, who is qualified to discuss this subject? I am of the House of Rice and a fundamentalist of the fundamentalists, but that does not qualify me to put forth what successful evangelism is. Developing methods, writing books, making DVDs (sorry, in Japanese), teaching personal evangelism does not qualify me to speak on this subject.

So, what does qualify one to speak on the subject of successful evangelism? Seeing God work! Successful evangelism, or soul winning, if you will, is all of God. If you have never seen God work to save souls through your ministry and witness, I suggest you just read this thread, posting only questions and no opinions. Evangelism that sees no one saved is simply dead works, proving that believer to be not abiding in Christ. "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples" (John 15:8).

I have seen the blessed work of God in saving souls in many different ways. I saw God use my parents to save many souls. I saw God save my little friend Paul in kindergarten when I was just six. I saw God save nine kids in a tent at a county fair when I was 16. I saw God save 59 in 7 states in one year through my evangelistic team in college. I saw God work in a little church in southern Georgia, where a prodigal got saved and the whole church was weeping before God. I saw God save many Japanese souls during my 33 year career as a missionary there in a Gospel-resistant country where only 1/2 of 1% were evangelical Christians. This includes Abe, who then went to the other side of Tokyo to start a church; two jr. high boys when I preached my first official sermon; an adulterer; two different drug addicts; a yakuza drug gang leader and two of his gang members; and many others. I saw revival two years in a row at a little youth camp when almost every teen surrendered to Christ.

So, what distinguishes actual soul-winning evangelism from the failing kind? Is it the method? No. The book of Acts shows no specific methodology. Is it the personality of the believer. No. Is it the theology of the soul-winner? Only to the extent that he is giving the true Gospel. So what is it?

It is the power and work of the Holy Spirit. Doing evangelism without the power of the Holy Spirit guarantees failure. The Holy Spirit convicts of sin (John 16:7-11), gives boldness to the believer (Acts 4:31), acts miraculously in the salvation of the sinner, and does many other things in evangelism.

When we moved to Yokohama after language school to start a church, I was completely bewildered about how to begin, and literally went into depression. My wife suffered at this time, not knowing what to do for me. I began going down to a park for hours of prayer, Bible reading, and reading books to help me find my way. God was gracious to me and filled me with the Holy Spirit through the teachings of R. A. Torrey in his blessed book, The Holy Spirit: Who He Is and What He Does. With that, boldness and power came and God blessed my ministry with souls saved.

Are you filled with the Spirit? Right now?

#1 John of Japan, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Successful evangelism is being faithful

For the past six months, in our Bible study, we normally only have one person coming.
    I have wondered why more have not come regularly.
    I believe that I may have to to realize the answer.
    Ronnie has many questions - thus currently he needs individual disciplining.
    I believe the time will soon come when we see many more results,

FAITHFUL = FULL OF FAITH

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother. I have a book on the subject, Won by One.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all called to witness. I have certainly not seen souls saved as in the manner of John of Japan.

In my youth I preached with a fundamentalist group in Boston at the Boston Common/Gardens just across from Park Street Church.

I have been in several soul saving ministries over the years with a small (comparatively speaking) degree of success.

We went door to door as well. Really a tough ministry in the American inner cities but with some fruit.
    Some delightful fruit.

Do as God has called and gifted you.
    Not all are evangelists.

The very least you can do is pray (fast and weep as well if you are so inclined) for those like JoJ who are in the front lines of the battle for the souls of men. Do it DAILY.

Go.
    If you can't Go, Give.
    If you can't Give, Pray.

As much as is within you be a living sacrificial witness for Christ.

Matthew 5
    13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
    14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
    15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
    16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

HankD

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, who wrote the book - I googled - but too many........

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clarence Sexton

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @John of Japan

I just ordered Torrey's book per your recommendation.

As i read through Acts, The Gospels and All throughout The Entire Word of God, My heart yearns to be filled with His Spirit. Please Pray for me. Thank you!

I've experienced what you are talking about, the Powerful Work of Christ and His Spirit working in hearts of those who hear the Gospel, but i feel as though I'm not consistently faithful. Please pray for me. Thank you!

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright brother. God bless.

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may be worth mentioning that William Carey, the 'father of missions,' spent nine years (if memory serves) in India before he saw his first convert. During that time his wife went mad and two of his children died, but he remained faithful to his Lord.

'And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart' (Galatians 6:9).

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will respond more to this thread later. But I think the OP misunderstands successful evangelism. If you want good books on evangelism I can recommend the best two.

Nothing but the truth by John MacArthur
    Today's evangelism by Ernest Reisinger.

Or to fire you up The Way of the Master.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want a good book on evangelism I can recommend the bible.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where can I get one of those?

Oh, I remember - in the night dresser draw at the Motel 6.

:)

HankD

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not if you want a real bible! :D:D

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read any of these books? These books were written by a very successful Evangelist

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Normally, I try to make my posts sound the least derogatory as possible. But I don't even care with this one.

Evan, who are you, someone with about a decade (if memory serves) of evangelistic experience, without a single convert, to tell someone who spent 33 years in the mission field and saw God work that he doesn't understand successful evangelism?

It's upstart, it's rude, and it's just plain ignorant.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I do not wish to downplay the ministry of John R Rice and that of the OP, but will say humbly that I believe he has a total misunderstanding of success in evangelism.

The answer of effectiveness in evangelism has nothing to do with results, but more to do with the following standards.

Was the true gospel proclaimed?
    Was the true gospel understood?
    Was Christ glorified?
    Was the attitude of the Christian godly as he communicated the gospel?

(Evangelism in the NT by Jon Speed p8).

When we look at things Biblically speaking if the following are true then the evangelist has been successful. If we have a true Biblical understanding of CONVERSION because it is not our job to make converts; because our job is simply to proclaim the gospel (Rom 10:14-18). The Holy Spirit is the one the convicts of sin (John 16:8-11) and the father is the one that draws his elect to the savior Jesus Christ (John 6:44).

I am aware that lots of people these days are big on results and refer to the results as success, and so many on this board have spoken derogatory things about my ministry because I have not seen a single convert since 2008 (when I started). I have seen a number come close to saving faith, but no actual converts to the best of my knowledge. History is filled with examples of people coming to faith months or years after they heard the gospel. Do you know the story of Luke Short? There is no reason for people to get discouraged because they have not seen people come to faith. As John MacArthur (or maybe it was John Piper said once) we evangelize to the glory of God. That is the primary reason we evangelize.

Some good books on evangelism from a Calvinist perspective

The gospel and Personal evangelism by Mark Dever
    Evangelism in the NT by Jon Speed

#16 evangelist6589, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Ethiopian eunuch needed a Philip to explain things and so good books on evangelism are written by gifted teachers who help explain things and are Philips.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had no idea the Ethiopian eunuch was getting help understanding evangelism from a book Phillip had on the subject. I always thought they were reading about salvation as found in the scriptures.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OHOH! :)

HankD

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was speaking generally about the helpfulness of books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.