1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Suggest a liberal way to vote here!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by stanleyg, Nov 10, 2006.

1. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Suggest a liberal way to vote here!

It could save taxpayers millions, maybe even billions of dollars in buying voting machines that don't work. Plus, it could encourage greater voter participation.

For Example:
    Suppose American voters and/or abroad could login to an official secure website to cast his or her vote. Each voter would receive a pin number and/or confirmation number. The latter will eliminate miscounted votes. If voters don't have computers or may be computer illiterate they could visit the library or election commision for assistance. The process would be similar to efiling a tax return.

Imagine how much headache and/or taxes we could save.

2. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

We do need to look at electronic voting. The time has come. Yes, there are security implications that need to be addressed but security is already an issue in the status quo....anyone can register to vote and they don't ask for an ID at the ballots. :rolleyes:

If the banking industry can rely on SSL technology to facilitate online banking, why can't we use that same technology for voting. Imagine, no recount arguments over "hanging, swinging or dimpled" chads. :applause:

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Smells a little bit like the Mark of the Beast...

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There isn't enough integrity in the system now. This would be many times worse.

FTR, representative gov't has to assume that people care enough to get off their duff and show up once every couple of years for an hour. That really isn't too much of a sacrifice to ask for is it?

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

True, we have SSL, and SSL is a very good thing. Even with that, we still have stories of companies losing customer data in ways that don't include SSL.

Diebold is the leading (only?) manufacturer of electronic voting machines. Guess how many times Diebold has been hacked this year alone? The answer is more than 1 and even if it were just one, that's one too many. The stakes in an election are too high to trust electronic voting machines.

6. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Let's just hope Microsoft doesn't get the contract. Internet Explorer 7.0 already is in Service Pack 2.

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

But you must remember that our form of government "...is wholly inadequate for a totally secular citizenry".

So....the question is moot.

8. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Liberalism vs. conservatism are philosophical approaches to politics and/or theology. Liberalism ventures out to discover the new way. Conservatism refrains from venturing out, in lieu of preserving the old way. Yet, in many instances the old way is not the best way to save money and/or souls.

For example:

Google is a liberal corporation. Its board of directors has incorporated liberal policies for Google personnel to work in a relaxed, stress-free atmosphere similar to working at home. Employee attrition rate declined due to personnel satisfaction. Maintaining experienced personnel leads to a lower cost recruiting qualified personnel. Liberalism has enabled the board of directors to increase productivity and increase the market value of Google stocks. Every soul wants a peice of Google stock.

Congress is akin to the board of directors for a civic community. A conservative Congress will legislate laws and/or policies that are traditional, obsolete and/or outdated to stay with the old way. As a result, it will experience higher attrition of personnel, higher cost recruiting qualified personnel and lower productivity among its personnel staff. The net result, will have a negative impact on a higher operating cost for taxpayers.

The value of the USA dollar has declined in the open market. Every soul is losing faith in American currency.

#8 stanleyg, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2006
  9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You shouldn't try to compare Googles' success as a liberal Corp. as being in anyway a model for the success of liberality. It is the result of utilizing sound business practices, founded on Biblical principals, and perfected by entrepreneurs over the last 230 years.

Stating that a conservative Congress' legislation is traditional, obsolete and/or outdated is simply your view of Constitutional application. And this:[As a result, it will experience higher attrition of personnel, higher cost recruiting qualified personnel and lower productivity among its personnel staff. The net result, will have a negative impact on a higher operating cost for taxpayers. ] simply doesn't apply, nor is it necessarily a correct assertion.

10. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

I appreciate your post, Stanley. I may not agree, but a calm, logical approach is refreshing.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

But, in many ways, it is. Too much change can lead to instability and doublemindedness. Wisdom allows God to direct us to change what must change, and remain steadfast with what must stay the same.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Oh, I thought it was because it didn't have 50 Mill Wiki links... :BangHead:

13. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Well the probleim is that the people neglect its civic duty to take a hands-on approach to our democratic system of self-government. Instead, we take a hands-off approach to leave it up to our civic officials. The most we know how to do is to vote and/or gripe. If one feels helpless, then one is helpless. I make it my business to stay on top of what's going on. My problem is trying to find individuals that want to make a change, rather than to sit back and gripe, yet won't try to do anything to fix the problem. I asked if you have any suggestions? You haven't offered any new ideas of your own. Instead, all I hear is gripes. Everything starts with an idea. Democracy itself came from an innovative idea to carryout an experiment. It is truly a wonderful idea. Yet, the experiment is not achieving its desired results. It isn't being implemented precisely to its design. The system was designed to operate: for the people, by the people and of the people. The government isn't the people. Rather, its a machine. We have to operate the machine, rather than place it on automatic thinking that it can operate itself. As long as the people hold a negative mentality, then we can't fix the problem. God has blessed me to achieve a quality education which I am truly thankful. Thus, I don't think negative or have a helpless attitude about life, like so many other Christians that I may cross path with. The beauty about having Christ is that we become a new creature to do all things.

2Cor5
    [17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    [18] And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
    [19] To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
    [20] Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
    [21] For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Phil4
    [13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Amen!

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

back to the OP...

I consider myself a bit of a geek. I like technology.

But I'm nowhere near ready to vote without a verifiable paper trail.

I honestly feel that my corner of the world has an excellent voting procedure...our optical scan ballots leave a paper trail...they are simple, quick, efficient, and as safe as a constitutional republic's vote is gonna be.

Perfect? No, but not one system is.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

How about a lottery made up of everyone who wants the position? Leave it up to God.

The problem with the voting system is that one can't have both an honest ballot and a secret ballot. I propose an on line list of all registered voters and an on line list of all votes.