1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Suggestions for a new family pet.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by friendofyours, Jul 19, 2012.

1. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

After about two years of not having a family dog, we are ready to do it again...we have always had small dogs, but we have recently been interested in Boxers....any suggestions. We do not need a dog that is kid friendly :) and we would think of getting a pair. Thanks.

2. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Getting new pets is so much fun. I competed in 4H and was a dog handler for several years. Boxers are beautiful, friendly dogs. They do tend to be high strung and hyper though. With proper training, they can make great pets. There are other "bully" such as the American Staffordshire or the mastiff that are a little more laid back. I do warn you that the "bullies" tend to be known for their stubborn streak. They are numerous canine fanciers who love these dogs and wouldn't consider having any other breed.

Since you are more used to small dogs, I might recommend a breed that is more docile. There is the ever popular retriever family including the labrador, chesapeake, flat coat, and curly coat. All are great dogs.

Also, the standard collie is a great canine from the herding group. It comes in the longer "rough" coated variety and also the short "smooth" coat. It does shed making it a little high maintenance, but most people find its endearing personality worth the extra effort of maintaining it.

If you wanted to consider a dog that it is in between and more medium sized, I would suggest the corgis. Cardigans have tails while the Pembrokes sport docked ones. These are very intelligent dogs with super sweet character.

I hope that this was somewhat of a help to you. Let me know if you ever have more questions.:wavey:

3. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Animal Planet has a short quiz that helps folks choose a dog breed.
    http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

You can also check out the AKC to find out more about the breed you're interested in. You might consider contact several breeders to find out about their idiosyncrasies....for instance drooling, snot, shedding, etc. A dog that looks really cute can have nasty habits! LOL

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Be careful what you wish for...

[​IMG]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seriously though, congrats on your decision.

I'm not familiar with boxers, but a friend of mine a few years back had a pair and they both seemed like nice dogs.

Presently we have a golden retriever who is more popular than we are.:)

P.s.- Our Annabelle's buddy at doggy daycare (we use it twice per week to socialize and to work out some of that puppy energy) is a boxer named Luther. :)

6. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

Thank you all for the great information...I will be doing some homework this weekend on the different types of dogs.....I am excited!!!!:smilewinkgrin:

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My parents were breeders of Boxers for many years. They are popular pets. Here's a few things to know:

Boxers are very active and hyper, especially the first few years of life, so they need firm training and lots (and lots) of exercise.

They love to tear up things, even into adulthood. Although some folks do have Boxers as indoor pets, I would not recommend them for that unless you plan to give them hours of exercise and play time outside every day.

Make sure you get your Boxer from a good breeder. Because the dogs are popular, they have been inbred. Make sure the parent dogs are from two different lines to avoid getting a sick or aggressive dog.

8. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

Wow...very good information here...thanks a heap....lots to think about....

9. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

TOO CUTE...you may be right...

10. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

We just dog sat Sasha, a four year old female Boxer. We are very familiar with her and she is adorable, however, I just realized that I am too old for this type of dog. I am going back to a smaller type of dog.....suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife is involved in bulldog rescue....we have 3 & they are like my surrogate kids....we love them!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh your from Coral Gables.....well bulldogs like to sit on the couch in the AC.....they dont like heat---has to do with their short snouts. Otherwise go with a water spaniel....the Portuguese water spaniel in a nice breed & enjoys water.

13. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

Agreed!!! Just like in human relationships...you never really know your dog till you live with them....!!! :tongue3:

14. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

Yes, I know about the bulldog. A friend had some and they do enjoy the AC. I will do some research on the water spaniel. Thank you. :)