1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Suicide and 911

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jan 8, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I just watched the movie World Trade Center and those people who jumped out the building because they were burning and couldnt take no more. Is that Suicide?

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Yes

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

According to some on this board, yes. And they will go to hell for it. I can't imagine being in that situation and have nothing but compassion for those people.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Is that Suicide? It sure is. however if anyone there was a Christian they are now in the presence of the Lord. To say that they all went to hell is stupid without any foundation whatsoever. If a "Christian" was late to work that morning and broke the speed limit and jumped where do you works people or trying to hang on to salvation people think they are.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, it’d be suicide to stay in the burning building too.
    I too, couldn’t imagine being in that situation.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Jump, burn to death, or have the thing collapse on you. Any way you slice it, it's the fault of those who flew the planes into the buildings.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'd like to know what kind of God some of you serve anyway?

A Christian trapped in the WTC had the option of burning alive or jumping from the building to a certain death. It was suicide to jump and it was suicide to stay. In no way was it their fault, but some of you say that they will go to Hell for it.

What kind of a God puts his child in that situation, knowing that they have no option other than suicide, and then sends them to Hell regardless of the choice?

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully no one has taken the position that position on this thread. The question to ask yourself if someone does is - is it worth degrading yourself to debate the issue?

No one can know those people’s anguish, pain, or spiritual and mental state. For anyone to post alleging that Christians jumping from the towers forfeited their salvation is not only wrong, but it is obscene.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It's a lot like saying the folks on Flight 93 forfeited their salvation because their actions "caused" the plane to crash into the field -- never mind the fact that it would have crashed anyway, and likely into the White House.

No, it isn't worth debating, except that this is a public message board, and someone whose mom or dad or son or daughter died in the towers might read it. No one needs to think that all Christians think that way, you know?

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

of course that isnt suicide but I dont like this idea of taking things to the extreme to try to make it look as if suicide is ok.

Killing yourself is murdering yourself under normal circumstances. One could take anything to the extreme to try to make it look ridiculous.

It isnt ok to kill oneself

You could also try to null out "thou shalt not kill" by saying "well I could possibly step on a gnat so Im breaking the law anyway so we may as well throw out the law of God then"

oh yeah! I forgot, thats what lots of people do anyway

Talk about straining at gnats!

its kinda like the new modern day Pharisees...

Just anything to avoid having to actually keep the Law of God inwardly and not just outwardly...

the only difference between the Pharisees in Christ's day and the modern day Pharisees is they have it in the reverse.The old style Pharisees kept the law outwardly but not inwardly but the modern day Pharisees dont think you have to keep it either outwardly OR inwardly.

Jesus told them they needed to clean the inside of the cup instead of just the outside of it. He never said dont clean the cup at all.

This is just straining at gnats in the reverse.

#11 Claudia_T, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What is normal about killing yourself? Isn't that the point? Suicide is outside of normal behavior. It is not the same as murder.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's where the "you're right" was supposed to be. Claudia was too quick for me:wavey: .

And yes, this is taking suicide to extremes. The same could be said of a parent who sacrifices their life to save their child. Or a service member accepting a "suicide" mission. Or ............

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Well, I'm waiting for somebody to come along and accuse them of not having enough faith for God to send them angels to pick them up and rescue them.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

murder is normal behavior?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suicide isn’t normal. A large percent of those who succeed in suicide do it accidentally. Many who try will relate that they were not thinking correctly.

I worked at Walter Reed, and we had a 17 year old girl who was admitted for yet another “suicide attempt”. She had been using this to get attention to other problems in her life. After talking with her, she requested to be taken to the ER because she had taken several pills. She did not have the intention of killing herself, even when she took the pills, but that was the result.

Another man had placed all his belongings in his home, set the home on fire, and hung himself in the front yard. A neighbor found him and cut him down. He survived, and related that he couldn’t imagine what had led him to that action. He was not thinking normally at all.

18. standingfirminChrist

I have not seen evidence that any of the jumpers or any of the people on flight 93 were saved. So how can one say they will not lose their salvation?

19. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

While I am sure there are some who might think that, they might as well reason that angels could have saved them from the fall too.

Of course some might argue that since suicide was inevitable, and sucide cannot be comitted by a Christian, then it stands to reason that no Christians were remaining on the twin towers.

Hopefully, in this example, we will see the foolishness of a works based salvation put forth by some on this board.

#19 Lagardo, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  20. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ sfic

Is it also suicide when you kill or sacrifice yourself to save others?