1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Summer Mission Trips

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Aug 3, 2008.

?
  1. Yes - always or almost always

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Sometimes - but not every year

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Rarely or never

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does your church sponsor summer mission trips?

If so, who goes and where do you go? For how long?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

My church is very big on sponsoring summer mission trips!! :thumbs:

In addition to our summer mission Bible camp at Smithville TN (on the shores of Center Hill Lake) -- and, yes, that is a mission trip! The camp sponsors (pays for) a week at camp for at-risk kids [inner-city projects,etc.] during which volunteer counselors from my church [and other like-minded churches in Middle TN] minister God's Word to these kids.

We've gone to India, Thailand, Canada, and right now there's a group in southern Peru.

I'm sure there've been other places that we've gone to as well but have slipped my mind!

Then for about the past three years we've had an ongoing (i.e., not just confined to the summer season) mission project of re-building homes [and lives] that we're destroyed by Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. One group just got back from a week's trip there.

Volunteer help for projects such as this have now dropped way, way off, yet there's still so much that needs to be done.

These people are simply the hands and feet (and backs!) of Jesus--walking the walk rather than just talking the talk, you might say. Many times they've been asked why they keep coming back. Their answer, plain and simple, is because there's still a great need and a great harvest in that area.

God bless them all; and may God richly bless and person, team and church that sponsors mission trips to help and encourage God-called missionaries where ever God sends them!!!! :applause: :applause: :thumbs:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church doesn't do summer trips - we do them year round. We had large trips to Nicaragua and Cuba so far and we're sending another team to Africa next month. :)

The teens also will do missions work locally since there is always a need in our own back yard.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

How do you get to go to Cuba? And where is Africa do you go?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We actually have kind of an open invitation to Cuba, from what I understand (a special permission from both the Cuban and US governments). We go about every 9-12 months and we're working on helping them build a school for pastors there in a former communist camp. This last group that went had about 10 or so in the group and we have no problems getting into the country (other than normal details). It's pretty neat.

I'm not sure where in Africa we're sending a team at this point. I just heard quickly from our missions pastor that he's heading there in the fall. I'll have to find out more. He might be going to the Congo to help one of our missionaries there who has a hospital in Impfondo. But I can't say for sure.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not just summer, but throughout the year.

Within the last 12 months, we've ministered in Nicaragua, Cambodia, Upper Rio Grande Valley (Texas border with Mexico near and in El Paso), Mexico, Spain, and Seattle. There may be more trips, but I don't remember any more right now.

However, our primary based of mission is in Fort Worth, Texas.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

That IS very cool. Our church's seminary was shut down by the government within the past year. Thankfully with the home groups, the Gospel continues to flourish even more so.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

We usually have several mission trips each year -- normally in the summer due to vacation time & school being out. Here are the mission trips this year -- five in total.

Our senior high students worked in the inner city with Restore St. Louis (www.restorestlouis.org), a wonderful organization associated with New City Fellowship -- an inner city church in St. Louis. Our middle school kids are staying here & working in inner city Miami for a week.

One group went to Benin, West Africa to work with the Sanctuary of Moses - an orphanage that presents the Gospel & protects children from child slavery. Another group is in Tanzania. Lastly, another group is working with a church down in the Cayman Islands this week.

It's always great to hear the reports when they return -- especially from the kids. We've already had the report from the high school & the middle school report should be this coming Sunday.

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

we took a group to New Orleans, it was the first church sponsored mission trip in a while. This year we made our mission trip to our "Jerusalem" doing some servant evangelism projects in our little town and also helping with a couple of ministries in Texarkana.

10. Songbird

Songbird New Member

We do youth and adult trips. But they aren't limited to the summer.

This summer my dh and went to Hawaii--yeah we worked--but we had fun as well.

Our youth went to Alabama.

In the past, we've gone to San Fran, Charleston, and Mississppi (Katrina relief).

Our adult missions trip this fall or spring will be to work on the youth camp.

I told dh one time if doing missions' trips is our way to see world--so be it. It's nice to do something worthwhile on "vacation." I am also nudged out of my comfort zone and am amazed at the difference these trips have made in my life. And our youth always come back changed from the ministry they do.

I've had the opportunity to go out of the country as well.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yes.

Generally, people pray about it, and then decide. Sometimes some have been asked to not go. Others have weeded themselves out for lots of different reasons.

Churches I have been involved with have been to:

Branson, MO
    Brainerd, MI
    Atlanta, GA
    Salt Lake City, UT (actually, this was in the winter.)
    Athens, Greece
    Sambir, Ukraine
    Lake Lure, NC
    Mexico
    Other places I can't remember

The trips have been one to two weeks long.

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

My church's group that went to help out Missionary Brad Shaw there in the steep mountains and deep canyons of southern Peru just got back today!

Praise God!:godisgood: