1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday Attire?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 23, 2013.

?
  1. Sunday morning: Men - suits or at least dress pants, shirt and tie

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Morning: Women - Pant suits [no jeans], or a dress, skirt and blouse

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Evening: Men - dress slacks, shirt, tie optional. No jeans

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Evening: Women - same as morning, never wear jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Children and teens - same as parents for both services

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Mid week: Men - dress pants, shirt with or without a tie, no jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mid week: Women - Pant suits, no jeans, dress or skirts optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Children and teens - same as parents

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Pastor on Sunday - Nothing less than a suit and tie

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  10. Pastor mid week - dress pants, shirt and tie is optional

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm confused about the poll...there are no real options.

Christians should wear clothes that do not draw undue attention to themselves, whether to their bodies, or simply to their wierd fashion sense. So that when they are intereacting with and encouraging others...the person can speak with them without being distracted by their clothing.

This will be different in different contexts...

At our church, our pastor wears a suit and tie to preach, but perhaps only 2-3 other men wear that...lots of khakis and jeans, mostly collared shirts, Lots of khakis, jeans, skirts, & dresses on women. We don't really have a modesty problem right now. We have a teenage boy who sometimes where's cargo shorts and a polo when he plays guitar with the worship team...nobody cares...

2. Herald

Herald New Member

I do not get hung up on attire. All are welcome regardless of what they wear. If they are a member or regular attender I will talk to them privately if their clothing draws undue attention to themselves (like an Abercrombie and Fitch tight ladies shirt). As for me, I will often wear an open collar shirt with Dockers or dress pants.

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

I tried wearing daisy dukes and a "honey boo-boo" t-shirt one Sunday, but my wife tackled me in the driveway and made me go in and change.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THANK GOD! :smilewinkgrin:

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A bikini? Really? Now, Salty, you know that's not what we are talking about.

Clothes make the man and the woman? It's true to some degree. But only because flawed humans are so bent on making value judgments about other people's worth based on their clothes.

I have to be careful at work to look "professional". From my hair to my clothes to my jewelry to my shoes. Why? Because I teach children and the parents are judging my ability to teach many times SOLEY on my clothes. Principals judge their teachers and children judge their teachers many times based on their appearance.

It isn't right, but that's how it is. We - all of us - are judgmental (not in a good way), self-absorbed, look on the outward appearance ONLY, and weak-minded.

I don't mind going out of my way to please other people when I COULD show up in overalls and muddy boots and sweaty hair and teach the FIRE out of that lesson and change the thinking/learning of my students.

But I DON'T have to impress ANYBODY at church to found worthy in God's sight. My need for confession of sin and my need for being sanctified by His word isn't dependent on my clothes.

Yes, I sometimes come to church on Sunday morning in blue jeans. They're clean. I shouldn't have to care about impressing anybody.

If someone is going to judge me as irreverent because I'm wearing nice jeans and flip flops (they're bedazzled) then that same person will judge me as less reverent than themselves for a whole HOST of reasons.

I'm not coming to church in a bathing suit. That's not what we are talking about.

And clothes sometimes do make the man or woman - but ONLY in the judgmental eyes of other people - not God.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We dont want to be legalistic about clothes but neither should we take pleasure in being irreverent. One extreme or the other.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man...you folks need to get out more! Middle class living has just F'ed you up big time.

Try going to the poor, the underclass, the disenfranchised, the sick, widows & orphans....ask them if they should wear a suit & tie or a dress to church....or if they can afford the time to go to church at all (when they get a job requiring working on Sunday). I'm thankful for these people who by their lives make me ashamed of my own white middle class biases. What a gift my God has given me.....vision, clarity, salvation, conscience. Praise Him!

This song here is playing in my mind as I read this thread. Chao!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRQjzltaMQ

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your right...It first starts with a bar of soap, a comb & type of pride in yourself. You can buy a pair of decent clothes from Walmart (Cackles & a clean /inexpensive dress shirt)....maybe even a little polish for your shoes. & I have no problem with clean jeans & a tee shirt (no holes in either).

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but it appears some can do better but take an almost rebellious pride in doing far less than they can in the name of "freedom".

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I still have this image in my mind of all the moderate threads. A man and his wife walking in to the church with beers in hand, long haired, wife dressed in a bikini, man in shorts, polo shirt and sandals. Oh yea he's the music director and he will direct gospel rock today and the preacher will preach on moderation.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Funny how folks always go to extremes in trying to define or illustrate "moderate". The very word itself eschews extremes.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When its said this well, there's no need to add to it. These are my thoughts too. :applause:

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silly thread really. The basic message of Paul is don't look like a prostitute, other then that whatever is good.

14. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I'll be called a Pharisee and a legalist for this, but I believe we should dress for church as if we're going to church.

There are 168 hours in a week and some people can't even dress for two hours in such a way that shows that they're participating in something that is different from the other 168 hours.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happens is some people have a myopic view because they are isolated in their own little world. It makes for shortsited phariseeism

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And this is exactly what's wrong with "Christianity" today. Why should we live the 166 hours any differently than we do the two?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it? I always dressed for work....and its a pain. Now your telling me I have to dress identical to my work environment ...causing me to feel like I'm at work which isn't a pleasant place I want to be on a Sunday morning. Now I could be in the back in shorts and a tee shirt repairing my house or out fishing or camping...ccommuning with God in a natural environment instead I am sitting dressed up in uncomfortable clothing. You do the math.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we certainly wouldn't want you to feel that church isn't about your comfort.

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. The world is influencing the Church far more than the Church is influencing the world.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Brother, although I somewhat agree, I think you missed my point.

We should worship the Lord for the entire 168 hours, and how we are dressed to do so is totally beside the point.

The one Biblical requirement for dress is modesty. That does not mandate any particular form of dress except that which does not call attention to oneself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.