1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday Attire?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 23, 2013.

?
  1. Sunday morning: Men - suits or at least dress pants, shirt and tie

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Morning: Women - Pant suits [no jeans], or a dress, skirt and blouse

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Evening: Men - dress slacks, shirt, tie optional. No jeans

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Evening: Women - same as morning, never wear jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Children and teens - same as parents for both services

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Mid week: Men - dress pants, shirt with or without a tie, no jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mid week: Women - Pant suits, no jeans, dress or skirts optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Children and teens - same as parents

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Pastor on Sunday - Nothing less than a suit and tie

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  10. Pastor mid week - dress pants, shirt and tie is optional

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pk4life

pk4life Member

So the newly saved needs to be told a polo and jeans isn't appropriate to wear to church?

What scripture do we bring up for that?

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Literacy is really taking a hit here today.

3. pk4life

pk4life Member

Then explain what you mean here.

Someone who doesn't know any better than to do what exactly?

Someone who needs to be discipled, to gain what, exactly?

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

One can be immodest or modest in a suit, jeans, skirt, or whatever.

I remember attending a church and the 'praise band' would get up and do their thing, the girls in skin tight jeans, belly-buttons showing, some in too short of skirts. It was kind of embarrassing. I asked my wife what she thought, and she said she was aware of it as well, and that to her it looked quite immodest.

Then there are those who may wear jeans and look modest when they do so. Nothing in Scripture claims denim is immodest, or that polyester skirts are OK because of the material. It's all in how one wears it. We've witnessed many in a dress that for church was quite inappropriate, skirts as well, and some in suits that looked quite 'flamboyant' and ridiculous. Culottes? Come on. No different than pants, just cut shorter.

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would be the point of answering more questions when you can't read what I've already posted?

6. pk4life

pk4life Member

Um, to see what God says instead of what you say?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, it was the standard in ministries in the 50s and 60s.

Personally, I do not care if you wear a leopard skin speedo to church. What I or anyone else wears is none of your concern.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

Simple? There are no choices in this poll. What about "shirt, slacks, optional tie" or "nice shirt, jeans, casual shoes (but not tennis shoes)" for men on Sunday? I can't cast a vote, because my choices aren't there. My feeling is, if it isn't overly casual (t-shirt, shorts, jeans with holes, etc) it's acceptable. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I'm going to be who I am the rest of the week before God.

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then, essentially, the concensus is that church is just like any other event we might attend during the week.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Church was never meant to be a fashion show. The apostles would be shocked that we are even having this silly discussion, and would probably take the cat-o-nine-tails to us for having it the umpteenth time.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it wasn't. Nor was it meant to be treated casually.

Assuming that the Apostles were from the same culture we live in is called an anachronism. It's a kind of logical fallacy.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

God doesn't care what you look like. He cares where your heart is.

Do I have to have a "right heart" or a focused heart to go to a ballgame or the movies? No. For church, I sure better be ready to worship, but that doesn't depend on my clothes.

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how we dress is an indication of where our heart is.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

LOL, about twenty licks of a cat-o-nine tails, and doubt DearJohnFan would be worried about the color of his tie. I guess most of us in modern times have thin or no skin. It depends on life experiences. I will guarantee you a few tours in certain situations in the military, and one will have thick skin for life.

15. pk4life

pk4life Member

As far as attire goes.

If you decide to attend a church, you SHOULD be respectful, and as compliant as possible, of your leaderships wishes regarding attire. If it's that big of a deal to you, go somewhere else.

However, NONE of these legalistic, self-worshiping, churches I have been apart of, or have attended have EVER had ANY concern of attire signifying, being puffed up with pride.

Thundering messages about immodest dress, about improper dress, and about "casual dress", from prideful, appointed kings, who want to dress and act like a top dog CEO of a company, rather than dress nicely, AND in humility.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, church is much more tedious & boring.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Chapter and verse, please?

How we speak, how we spend, and how we serve are heart-indicators according to the Scriptures. Dress in never mentioned as being a qualifying factor. As a matter of fact James says:

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? (James 2:1-4)

John Gill says:

And there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; mean and despicable, filthy and ragged: in the courts of judicature with the Jews, two men, who were at law with one another, might not have different apparel on while they were in court, and their cause was trying: their law runs thus (s);

"two adversaries (at law with each other), if one of them is clothed "with precious garments", (Myrqy Mydgb, "goodly apparel",) and the other is clothed with , "vile raiment", (the judge) says to the honourable person, either clothe him as thou art, while thou contendest with him, or be clothed as he is, that ye may be alike, or on an equal foot.''

(s) Maimon. Hilchot Sanhedrin, c. 21. sect. 2.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's an interesting attitude you have toward church.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...it probably won't outlast its wheel. This is one of those nutty issues that goes round and round and doesn't stop.

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love the hypocrisy. The way I'm expected to provide scripture for the grownup view, but how you don't have to provide any for your view that church is a casual occasion.

Good. Then I sounds like I don't have to show you those verses.

By your logic, do you affirm the doctrine of the Trinity? After all, the Bible never mentions the word "trinity".

Actually, the verse you quoted says that we shouldn't show preference to people based on the way they're dressed, not that we should not dress appropriately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.