1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday morning christians

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mickey, May 22, 2005.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member

In talking with people about christianity I find that the biggest road block is that alot of people seem to think that most christians lead double lives, or that our religion is just one big contradiction. Taking some time to reflect on this, I can see how some may think this way.
    We get that good godly rush on Sundays, but then we live our lives in a worldly way Monday thru Saturday. If we don't "practice what we preach" 7 days a week instead of 1, the example that we need to set for those who are lost is not going to be noticed.
    I could not have been more guilty of this. I would walk into church on Sunday, and by 12 o'clock I was on fire for the Lord, I would walk out of those doors ALIVE! I was gonna save the world. By Tuesday I wouldn't even know God myself.........
    What kind of example was I setting? Could someone look at me or talk to me and know that I was a believer? Of course not. So if this whole religious thing was suppose to be so wonderful, why was I contradicting my beliefs in such a worldy way? If I was a non-believer and I saw those types of things, I wouldn't be busting thru a church door either.
    The other day I was flipping thru the channels on TV, and there was this awards show for rap music. Anyway what caught my attention was this particular winner, I believe his name was Ludacris. During his speech he said "I would like to thank Jesus Christ...........Yet on his CD cover it states it contain explicit lyrics and sexual content. What kind of message is he spreading?!? I can see why some people call us (christians) contradictive. Somehow I have to doubt his sincerity, and I wouldn't offend other christians by calling him one.
    Fortunatley the Lord has really laid it on my heart to be a better example for him. Not just for 1 day, but everyday. Let your actions, not your words speak for you. Don't leave the slightest of doubt in anyones mind about your salvation.
    I have found that in moments of weakness or temptation I ask myself, and I challenge you to do the same, If God was to come back right now, what would I do? Hide because of what I was doing, or stand there with open arms..........
    Now and until my time on this earth over, my arms are open, and I pray that each of you are standing there with your arms open to.

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just a bunch of sinners saved by the Grace of God...nothing more, nothing less.

I pray each day for a closer welk with God.

Debbie C

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that would be walk, I typoed. [​IMG]

4. johnd

johnd New Member

Hi dorbett. johnd here, welk or walk it is just a spelling missprint, I on the other hand; Well if you ever see my posts you will think not to educated, But that would be somthing els,For the Lord has Blissd me so much That I can underestand the WORD of God so well, So much so that I thank the Lord every five minuts or so it`s as if my head is gowning to burst,
    It has not burst yet, Prays the Lord.Well to pray each Day thats good , But sometimes peaple just pray when they can not cop!!!! Well They should join the club for we are all in the same boat Becouse if we do it is in the flish and that is in are own strenth and not in the strenth of the Lord, Spiritly we are all weak, just like the Sunday moning Chritians that was talked about by Mickey who started this thread, will we must pray at all times or we will be just like the Sunday morning Christians, We must be pure just as the Lord is pure it is not a good thing to think that we mate be saved more than they Sunday
    Morning chritians for it mite just be that it is us that are falling short of the glory of God.So my be we should just thank the Lord that we are saved,Micky you could ask the Lord if he mite us
    you to be a light to all you mite meet for some mite just follow the light that is burns in your Heart,pray that you can be a good example,
    as I am shore you are already.
    Love to you all in the Lord ,from johnd [​IMG]

5. johnd

johnd New Member

I meant flesh, Not flish, See what I meant about my posts [​IMG] [​IMG] My spelling it`s rubbish [​IMG] [​IMG] they could install a spell Check it would help me [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with what's already been posted about the importance of each of us so living our lives as to be an ambassador of Christ (which, as 2 Cor. 5:17-20 tells us, we ARE!).

Some years ago there was a song whose lyrics still ring true today: "You're the only Jesus some will ever see." When I look at my day-to-day life, I'm forced to ask myself this question: What kind of Jesus do folks see when they look at me?

Over 30 years ago I was reading a study of I Peter 3. I still recall today the challenge that this study presented when it addressed 3:15 about being "ready to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in us."

Many a preacher has told me that this verse says that we should be ready at any time to witness about Christ, but this study focused on a different perspective. First of all, we ARE witnesses of Christ no matter how we live our lives. The problem is this--what KIND of witness are we?

It went on to ask this question about 3:15: "We must ask ourselves this, 'When was the last time somebody came up to us and asked us why are we seem to have a hope that is different?'"

Moreover, if you read the whole context of I Peter 3, it's addressing the issue how we as Christians ought to live as a family unit (husbands, wives, and , by extention, any children [3:8--"be ye ALL..."]).

As the opening post suggested, the REAL issue is how we live each and every day of our lives.

Do my neighbors see me as the ambassador for Christ that I should be? Does my life reflect the fruit of the Holy Spirit that should be evident in how I conduct myself?

Sad to say, in most cases my life needs constant improvement.

My failure to be a really effective witness for Christ is MY fault. Our Father is a loving one who is more willing to help me be the kind of witness I ought to be than I usually am willing to be.

Thankfully, I just checked I John 1:9 and found that it's still in God's Word!

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Sunday my minister told us the following story:

A salesman was rushing through an airport with his companions when they bumped a cart full of apples that a girl was trying to sell. The salesman was a Christian, and as he got closer and closer to the loading area of his plane, he felt convicted to turn back to the vendor. He went to the attendants and traded his ticket for a later flight, phoned his family and told them to look for him later, then turned back to the vendor.

He was glad he did. The woman was blind, and she was on her hands and knees, feeling through the terminal for the lost fruit, crying as she tried to retrieve her wares. The salesman knelt down beside her, gathering up the fruit, setting the bruised and damaged ones to one side.

When he was done, he said, "I'll pay you for these that are damaged, and here is another $20 to apologize for the trouble. I really am sorry we caused you so much distress."

The woman took his money, and as he turned to go the woman called out, "Mister? Are you Jesus?"

We always teach our children "Let your light so shine before men, that they see your good works and give glory," but do we live it?

We teach, "the greatest of these is love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind, and the second is this, love your neighbor as yourself," but do we do it?

We teach, "Lord, when did we see you sick, or hungry or cold," and remind our children that doing this for the least is doing it for Christ. Do we live it?

Will our children look at us and wonder if that is Jesus in us?

8. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

I agree with the Mickey. I have been there and done that. Pretty recently too.

One thing I noticed about your post, well a couple of things and I will just testify that they have helped me "walk a little closer", but by no means I am better than anyone else here, just trying to share -

TV - you mention some rapper on the TV. I know its hard. I grew up with TV in the house but for the first time, I am cutting back on TV. Only have the basic cable package and hardly watch that anymore. I also picked up Skyangel satellite package last year. Watching TV in the past took my eyes off Him. More likely now, the preaching, teaching and worship of Skyangel is like stepping back in his House with His people again.

Prayer - Prayer can keep that fire from flickering. Maybe you know what I mean, but like me, have a hard time practicing it. I am blessed to be taking some time at lunch and I get out and take just 5-15 minutes to read scripture and pray briefly. It's an awesome way to get out of "Sunday Christian" mode.

Again, your results may vary and I welcome your comments. Hope I didn't come off as a know-it-ll or anything.

Have a blessed day

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Amen to this: Prayer - Prayer can keep that fire from flickering.

Pray without ceasing.

Pray when you wake up in the morning. Thank Him for letting you have one more day to do His work. Pray for His guidance and protection.

Pray for that person who cut you off in traffic while you drive to work.

Pray while you're on the phone to that business client, that your words and actions will be HIS, that He'll show you the best way - His way.

Pray when you pay that bill.

Pray when you fall asleep at night, thanking Him for what He did for you that day.

Pray without ceasing. Let Him be on your thoughts 24/7.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member

LovesJesus, you raised some good points. I must admit that I am a TV junkie (said with humor). But what kills me (and causes my wife to threaten me with great bodily harm) is that I never watch anything. I sit there just clicking away. I just happen to catch the "rap" clip because as I was clicking away with the remote, my phone rang. It just happened to be where I stopped.
    Secondly, as for as prayer: My mother has always said "Pray ain't never hurt no one". And yes, she says's ain't......We live in Mississippi. Seriously, as far as prayer, I work in a VERY fasted paced, highly stressful enviroment. The one place that I feel like I need the Lords strength the most is at work, but seemed like for awhile, I just never had a moments peace. What I started doing is this......In the evening when I have my personel time with the Lord, and read his word, whatever scripture I feel he is using to speak to me, I jot it down on a piece of paper, and put in the pocket of the pants I will wear the next day. When things get hectic, I reach in my pocket, read the verse(s), and use it, if for no other reason, just to remind myself that He is always with me.

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I once remember a sermon that was about being Sunday Christians, yet the term used was "Undercover Christians". The sad fact is that many Christians if asked at work on Monday what they did on the weekend are often reluctant to say that they went to church or went to some religious event. If we have to put up with listening to what our co workers did for the weekend, maybe they should hear about what we did?

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If you are a christian only on Sunday morning, are you really a christian? I thought it was a seven day a week thing.

13. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Just wondering:

If we were as faithful in serving our employer in the things he/she told us to do as we are faithful in serving Christ in the things He told us to do....just how long would we keep our jobs?

If we offered the same excuses to our employer as to why we failed to live up to his/her expectations as an employee as we do for our lack of attempting to live up to the expectations that Christ has for His children, would our employer consider those excuses legitimate?

If we were placed on trial for being a faithful Christian, would there be enough evidence for the court to declare us "Guilty as charged"?

14. Wife of One

Wife of One New Member

Of course kt.

We would all be "guilty" We are all sinners even if we are saved. That's why Jesus saved us. Because no matter how hard we try we could never be a faithful christian without a lot of help. and we could not ever get into heaven without his blood and scrafice

15. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

Therein lies the problem, you ought to be enough of a Christian that there was absolutely no question what you did on Sunday, Sundat night, or Wednesday, maybe Thursday night, and every night of revival, visitation, and every other church function that doesn't fall under the heading of a family or group only fellowship!!

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think there are a lot of things we can do as Christians to let our light shine. Everyone likes sincere praise. I often pray for God to allow me to see something in someone I appreciate. I have never had a door closed because of that. It will often soften the hardest heart.

Recently I was talking with someone and he told me what he thought of Christians. Instead of defending Christians I told him I appreciate his honesty. I have actually found him to be a very ethical and honest man with me. He just doesn't have the right persepctive of God. God has used that one time to open the door to several conversations since. He has even changed his attitude some. I have found that non-Christians will at times open the door for me in a personal way.

Non-Christians know that nobody is perfect. If a Christian tries to cover their short comings it just makes matters worse. We must be honest in eveerything we do. We must seek to make every wrong right just like the story of the man who picked up the apples.

We must share with people and live the Christian life as though we are in it for the long haul. Scripture says, "The righteous fall seven times and rise again."

17. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Wife of One--
    I think you misunderstood the point of my third question in my previous post.

The key word in that question is "FAITHFUL," not "Christian." All of those who've truly repented and received Christ as their savior will wind up in heaven with Christ, but I do not believe that all people in heaven will necessarily receive the same number (or level) of rewards.

One's entrance into heaven is solely by the grace of God. The rewards that one receives there obviously will vary--I Corinthians 3:11-15 addresses that issue.

Of course all of us sin. I John 1:8 clearly states that fact. And, yes, I'm inclined to believe that there is a direct relation to the sins we commit and our faithfulness in serving God once we are saved.

So, Wife of One, I would simply ask you to read my third question in my previous posting in the light of what I've just posted.

BTW, Wife of One, I would also enjoy reading your comments about the first two questions I posed as well. [​IMG]

18. GraceGvn2Me

GraceGvn2Me New Member

COME SUNDAY MORNING 'ROUND ELEVEN

I know you're coming soon Lord Jesus, to snatch your bride away.
    And you promised in the scriptures, it could be most any day.
    Oh what joy awaits the Christian, when we all shall meet in heaven,
    If you're open for suggestions; come Sunday Morning 'round eleven.

If you come an hour earlier, most will feel quite like a fool.
    For they attend on Sunday mornings, but not for Sunday School.
    They've heard it all, they know it all, they don't need Bible Study.
    To those of us who love your Word, that excuse seems rather nutty.

Most long to see you coming, they want to be in heaven at last.
    But make them happy, come before, the offering plate is passed.
    They live in big new lovely homes; and nice cars they all drive.
    But most of them only "tip" you Lord, not many of them tithe.

Come while our preacher's preaching, and you may have cause to weep,
    Looking spiritual like their praying; some sit sound asleep!
    If you wait to come an hour late; the church service being through,
    You may find them eating out; tipping a waitress more than you!

Don't come Sunday afternoon, unless their football team is winning,
    The words you'll hear them saying, come mighty close to sinning.
    And one thing that I know for sure and never could be right.
    Don't come on Sunday evening, they don't attend on Sunday night.

Wednesdays during Prayer Meeting; Oh, please, Lord stay away.
    At that time you'll discover, how few people really pray.
    I do want you to come again, when eternity's day shall dawn.
    Not Thursday during soul-winning, or you'll learn our burden's gone.

Sunday morning round eleven, Yep, I think that time is best.
    Though some will be home in their bed, it's their only day of rest.
    Some will have gone fishing, others shopping at the mall.
    Lord, there really is no "good time" for you to come at all.

If relatives drop in to visit, they stay home to entertain.
    Go shopping in a downpour, but skip church if it looks like rain.
    And please don't come in summertime, nor during their vacation.
    You're forgotten while their having fun, at a Celebration Station.

The entire family will miss church, or so I have been told.
    If Billy has a slight toothache, or if little Susie has a cold.
    I know you're coming back real soon, to catch away your church.
    Come Sunday at eleven, or for most folks you'll have to search.

19. johnd

johnd New Member

6 days we should labor and on the 7th We should rest, Were does it say the sunday is that day of rest, It is gust a day that we all have time so that we can all gather together there is know such day as a sunday christan we should all be in the Spirit at all times a christan is not all about them and us there is only One that will juge us on wherther we are in the Spirit for 7 day or not it will be if we are in the Spirit when he returns juge and you will be juged

20. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The sad fact is that many Christians if asked at work on Monday what they did on the weekend are often reluctant to say that they went to church or went to some religious event.
    ---------
    If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my Father. ... why do we fail to teach that beyond Baptism?

If we went through what the Jews went through in WWII, how many Christians would hold to their faith?