1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday Night and Wed. Bible study

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by untangled, Jul 2, 2005.

1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Brothers,

I was wondering what format you teach (or preach) in on Sunday evening and Wednesday night. I have been filling in at a church and may be called as their pastor. I was wanting some feedback from some pastors.

One of the areas I was wondering about was long term planning. For example, my pastor has done a Sunday night study on Rev. for the past 8 weeks that will conclude at the end of June. Do any of you other pastors ever do long term teachings through books of the Bible? I know some of you probably do. I enjoy them myself.

So, after seeking God and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you how have you prepared in the past?

Thanks,

Brooks

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

No Sun PM or Wed PM = No format

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Sunday night I generally preach through a book of the Bible. I am going to be starting a series going through Malachi soon. I just finished a series on James.

Wednesday night we are going through the book of John. Right now we are in chapter 6. I put together a simple outline that I hand out to the people and we go through it and I try to keep some discussion going so that I do not have to be the only one talking. Then we divide up in small groups and pray over the requests for the week.

Going through books helps me to stay focused and helps in preparation as I know exactly where I am going to be and what needs to be studied, etc.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

My husband is preaching thru Ephesians right now. He doesn't always have a series going, but he does have a long range plan. Sometimes, the Lord leads him away from that plan, but at least he has a general framework.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I almost always preach through books of the Bible on Sundays (am and pm). Occasionally, PM will be an enlargement of the AM message. I have been in Acts since Mar 31, 03 but it has only been 37 messages, so you can see how often we do other things. The first Sunday night of hte month is communion and that is totally devoted to that.

Wednesday nights are either a Bible study (topical, theological), men's and ladies' Bible studies, or prayer meetings. We rotate between teh three and they typically last 6-8 weeks. The topical studies we have done include evangelism, biblical counseling, and some others I can't recall. We have done theological studies such as Theology Proper. Prayer meetings are just that.

6. RandR

RandR New Member

Sun a.m. preach through a book of the Bible. Usually a pericope at a time.

Sun p.m. teach through a book in much more detail than Sun a.m. For example, Hebrews 1:1-4 might take three or four weeks, stopping to explore certain themes that appear in the text i.e. revelation (not the book) and Christology. Hebrews 1 and John 1 might take weeks. Narratives might not.

No Wed. p.m. service.

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

On Sunday night i have been teaching on the Gospel of John since beginning my service here as pastor in May 2004; i will be finishing John 16 next week. I have taken a few Sundays off here and there.
    On Wednesday nights, it has been a struggle for me. I would like to pray and that is it...but people didn't want to just pray and i got all kinds of grief about this.
    Since then i have tried different things. Currently i'm teaching about different cults and sectarian groups. Once again, there are some people that absolutly hate it (and these are the same ones that don't like much of what i do), but it is also bringing some folks in on Wednesday nights that hadn't been coming. So i will continue with this during the summer and get back to doing whatever God leads me to do in the fall.

8. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

May I be so bold to suggest that you try something out of the norm? On whatever night you have discipleship teaching, offer several options in classes rather than having a preaching service.

Has worked quite well for us. We do this on Wednesday nights.

9. shannonL

shannonL New Member

On Wed. nights in the summer we offer electives to choose from taught by diff. members. It is good experience for those who are gifted to teach as well as other things.

Sunday nights can be a continuation of the AM if you really got fired up and couldn't finish.

Now here is one for ya. The church I grew up in grew 100 members a year for 8yrs. in a row.
    I believe the secret to our success wasn't a church survey given to find out what seekers wanted most but it was our Wed. night prayer meeting. Imagine this: Men and Women dividing up into small groups all over the sanctuary praying for a solid hour. I'm telling you it changed the future of our church.

10. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shannon,

I actually like the idea. But I know a few Baptists that would probably hate it. lol

11. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

The church I am pastoring stopped Sun P.M. about 4 years ago because of a lack of a pastor. I have been trying to get the members to agree to start back up since Oct. They have, in theory, however I need to get them to agree to a date to actually (re)kick off the service. I am seriously thinking of calling a date and just start showing up ready to teach. I plan to begin with a taped study from Focus on the family or some other ministry. and then go into Hebrews after the 6 week taped series.

Wed night is a Bible study following the prayer meeting. I have tried to keep it informal and encourage discussion.

12. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An assembly stops when the Lord removes "His Candlestick". An assembly can assemble without a pastor--or a deacon. "Bro. George" can stand up and lead long enough to call a pastor. He can probably preach too.

The authority is in the body not the "bishopric".
    The Lord is faithful to take care of His Bride.

Selah,

Bro. James

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tonite--and for a while now---we've been going through "verse by verse" Hebrews 11---God's Hall of Faith!! We've been looking at Moses' faith now for two months.

Sunday nites---through the book of Mark

Sunday mornings---Bible Doctrines For the next few mornings we will "touch" the doctrine of the Church---first in Matthew 16:13-19----we will focus on what Jesus had to say about those "Gates of Hell"

Just basic old fashioned Southern Baptist preaching!!

PS---Bro. James----even the loveliest Bride needs a head----know what I mean???

14. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bride needs an earthly head? Only in the world of popes and vicars. Jesus is the Head of His Assembly--the Bride.

Pastors are undershepherds and deacons are servants. People with all those titles and subtitles are of the world--they teach for doctrines the commandments of men.

Now what?

Selah,

Bro. James

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Bro. James---I don't mean to stir up a Hornet's nest---but what do you think about Hebrews 13:7

"Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation."

Who is this ruler the Hebrew writer is speaking of?? Sounds a lot like the Pastor of the church, don't it?? I mean, he's the one who speaks "the word of God" unto the people---ain't he???

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

16. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Hegeomai" is translated "rule" three times in Hebrews.

The word means "to lead, lead the way, go first, guide.

Just because someone is in the front leading, does not make them the Head.

Selah

Bro. James

17. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastors are not rulers in the sense of "benevolent dictators". The Gk. word "hegeomi", which is translated "ruler" three times in the Book of Hebrews, has the basic meaning of: "to lead".

Selah,

Bro. James

18. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want "rule" and "ruler", find "archo", "arche", "archon"--where someone gets the "arch" in archbishop.

There are no "rulers" in a New Testament Assembly--only undersheperds and other fellow- servants.

Selah,

Bro. James

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So then---who must obey Hebrews 13:7?? No "rulers" dictatively--thats true, Bro. James---but in a sense there must be some sort of order. Some sort of "chain of command"---there is no ruler where you work, Bro. James??? No boss?? No one who shows you what to do---and to whom you are visably accountable to??

And what about 1Thessalonians 5:12-13?? "And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you. And to esteem them very higly in love for their works sake.."

What about the statement "over you in the Lord"---doesn't that signify some sort of rule?? And what about the command to "esteem" them----there has to be some sort of lifting up of somebody in the group to kinda sorta a overseeing position.

Who exactly is it in your church---visably---because the verses speak here of somebody visable---who is "in charge"---the pastor, overseer, bishop??

20. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Order? Yes. Chain of command? No, indeed. Unless one calls a congregation following the Holy Spirit a C of C.

Hiearchies(sic) are Romish in origin--parishes, dioceses, bishops, archbishops, etc. etc. all the way up to the top of the chain--The Pontifex Maximus, commonly called The Papa.

"Esteem" is our favorite word "hegeomi" again--leading/following.

Our pastor is called by the congregation. He is also dismissed by the congregation. We love him dearly. He is a wonderful leader, edifier and admonisher. He has one vote just like every other member. When he is absent, we carry on business meetings without him. A New Testament Assembly can function without an overseer or a deacon.

How about you?

Selah,

Bro. James