1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday only?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Soulman, Apr 8, 2005.

1. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

Thank you for your graciousness, Jason! [​IMG]

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I am in an IFB and we meet Sunday am and pm as well as Thursday. I used to go all the time. I find it difficult with working 3rd shift. Every service is a struggle. Lately I get off at 7:00 Sunday morning and go to service where I teach Sunday school and am the church pianist. I also run a nursing home ministry on Monday nights.

I can do Monday nights because it is my day off. Sunday nights and Thursday are very difficult and I miss quite a few of them. I don't want to but working 3rd shift pays me more money.

I am a single parent and this way I am home in the morning and for supper. I drive her and pick her up from Christian school. I put her to bed. She is 14 yr old. The only time I am working is when she sleeps. I sleep while she is in school and take a nap in the evening. It has been a good fit.

My pastor says I should get on days to better serve God. If I do my daughter suffers as a whol;e new set of problems will spring up.

I spent years as a bus captain, Sunday school teacher, Saturday morning soul winner, every service attended.

I was so busy my house was a pig pen, laundry and other essentials were ignored and I ran myself ragged 7 days a week. My pastor had the mentality that people were dying and going to hell. We could rest in heaven. I believed that for a long time as there is an air of truth to it.

One day I looked at my little girl and the pig stye she was being forced to live in and I wept. I knew I wanted to serve God but I realized this couldn't be His will.

I have since learned moderation. I teach and run my nursing home ministry as well as talk to alot of people I meet about the Lord. I don't knock doors anymore although I am not opposed to doing such. There are many ways to share the gospel.

I know my daughter is happier as we spend alot more time with each other. These are the last few years she will be with me and I want to enjoy them. Right or wrong I will not beable to be in church everytime the doors are open. When I was doing it it was counter productive and a burden. Now I am blessed when I do the work of God. I guess it is all about balance.

3. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Yet has no problem with casting her own assupmtion:

:rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I think I am entitled to make assumptions about MYSELF!!! My post might not have been so clear, but I truely was talking about my own feelings when I don't attend church. Yet you are so quick, as is typical with a lot of people on this board, to pounce on me with your rolling eyes and sarcasm. Does that make you feel like a big person? Just about everytime I post on this board someone comes back with things to make me feel bad and I regret even posting anything. What ever happened to encouraging others?

Please allow me to rephrase my initial post:

I personally feel that "ME" going just to Sunday morning service is only being "luke warm". Kind of like trying to do just enough to squeek by. Going to Sunday morning and evening service is like "ME" devoting an entire day to worshipping the Lord. And "ME" attending Wednesday night service is like telling God that He is worth "MY" time and "I" take the opportunity mid week for worship and fellowship because "I" just can't wait a whole week to come back!

Is that better? (Probably not, someone here is bound to slam me for not being crystal clear in the first place.) Maybe I don't belong to this board.

See ya

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Deborah,
    Folks on this board have been known to get a little heated. Hang in there and don't take it personally. No one really knows you.

I think if you have the time available you should go as often as you like. Just remember balance. I learned the hard way.

5. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Thank you soulman.

6. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Personally, all those chruch services were inconvenient to me. As a family, we enjoyed the kids' sports programs, their outside music programs, and even some of the best shows on TV were during scheduled church services. Who in their right mind would schedule a service during Super Bowl, or soul-winning on Saturday mornings? Of course, when I got my heart right with God, I found that all these other things lost most of their importance, and the impact that the church has had in my personal life, and the life of my family, is beyond that of any trophy the kids ever brought home. I guess quality time with the family at home, or at some other event/activity, may work for some, and can be substituted for a church service now and then, but as for me and my family, attending church together has made a big difference in our lives. The more services we attended, the better it got, and it is still getting better each passing week.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday only?

IMO, It's all about quality of worship not quantity:

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

HankD

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Back-peddling. And no, it's not any better that you feel that way about yourself, if that's what you're claiming.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps you could have stated it was your own feelings. But now you seem to indicate your distaste of what others have written about what you wrote. Why not just eat humble pie and move on? Are you not guilty of the very thing you are accusing others of doing when you write, "Yet you are so quick, as is typical with a lot of people on this board, to pounce on me with your rolling eyes and sarcasm. Does that make you feel like a big person?" Is that not a dogmatic, accusatory, judgmental statement?

10. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Everyone;
    I believe going to church is important even though I worship the Lord every day. It's important just to be with others of like mind. Today I'm stuck inside with a blizzard going on out side. I was going to go anyway but blizzards here can be dangerous. People get stuck out in them all the time. Shoveling out was very discouraging since most have not done this yet and probably won't until the storm is over. Funny how we miss something so much when we just can't have it.
    May Christ Shine His Light On us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

Dr. Bob annoying? That nonsense is rediculous. :rolleyes:

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't think children's church is nonsense! Ours is led by a very wonderful couple who lead the kids ages 5 & up thru second grade in praise songs, children's sermons, learning Bible verses, prayer and praise time and then some games.

The children under age 5 are kept in their Sunday School classes for extended session and their lesson is a repeat of the Sunday School lesson but with a little different emphasis, a snack, songs and then play time.

I praise God for Sunday School, Training Union, Sunbeams, GA's and Vacation Bible School while I was growing up! I learned so very much at such a young age. Even tho we were in church every time the door opened, I don't remember learning anything from my parents.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Our lesson today was not from our book. I used my April 15th 'standard' of Jesus and the Taxman (The coin in the mouth of the fish.)

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Yes Diane, I must agree.
    While I certainly believe that parents should be the foremost teachers of their children, it is also true that these parents may be babes in Christ, or not Christians at all.
    As for time spent at Church, what is it 3,4,5 hours out of 168 hours in a week? Time well spent I think.
    Basically brethren, God did not appoint anyone on this board, the Church, or anywhere else, to tell you what is too much time spent at Church activities, you must carefully and prayerfully determine that for yourself.

14. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Up until a couple of years ago, Sunday was the most stressful day of the week for most of our church families. For years, I felt that I had to "toe the line" of Baptist church tradition and have my Sunday night dose of church. Discontinuing the Sunday night worship service stirred the ire of many of my more spiritual peers in town. But the funniest thing happened after a while. Members of some of the other churches began to hear my members tell about how not having Sunday night church had sure taken the stress out of Sundays. Before long, three other churches in the city followed our example...churches that were pastored by some of my greatest critics when we discontinued Sunday night!

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

So true.

If only we could get the folks to meet on another night for discipleship/preaching/teaching.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I have 2 examples of WHY Sunday School is important. Evan, who is 8, came looking for me quite upset. He wanted to ask me something. 'Miss Diane! My new baby brother had yellow poop in his diaper. Is that okay?' 'Yes, Evan. Breastfed babies will have funny colored poop. He's fine.' Adison, age 5, kept telling me about her grandfather and wanted to know why people can just 'faint' and then need to have their head cut open. The parents and older brothers and sisters had talked 'around' her and not explained to her about Grandpa's blood clot in his brain and how this was not something going to happen to her or them at any minute. The parents were very thankful when I contacted them to let them know how worried she was. They took her to see him since we talked and she's not terrified anymore. She told me all about it today.

Both of these children have, over the years, established a loving relationship with me through Sunday School, AWANA, VBS, Wednesday night summer programs, Mission Friends, etc. and came to ME for 'help'. Children NEED to see and learn to love other adults who love Jesus. It's especially important for the boys to see MEN who love Jesus and have them as teachers. That's one of the reasons my husband is my co-teacher.

Sunday School and these other activities don't stop at 11:00 on Sunday but continue a lifetime, if done right. I'm sure many of you can recall a very special person in church while you were growing up. I know I sure can! [​IMG]

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

All of our children's activities take place on Sunday morning. Sunday School, children's church and children's choir are on the menu. No children's programs on Sunday evening or Wednesday nites. In fact, there are no children that come on either of those nights, with the exception of mine. No parents, none of the SS teachers, leaders or helpers, el zippo.

The youth only come when they have an after church fellowship. That goes for the volunteer youth workers too. The majority of our adult SS teachers don't come on Weds. or Sunday evenings either.

We run about 90 in SS and 130 in worship. Sunday evenings, 15-20, including my family of 4. Wednesdays are about the same. Last Sun. evening we had 6 adults and 16 youth. They had a fellowship. Tonight, no youth, no leaders and no fellowship.

The issue of whether or not to have Sunday evening service has come up several times. Many of those who have spoken out to keep it as it is, never come. The church has spoken. Sunday evenings and a mid-week service are not important to them. Deacons, teachers and families have made the decision for us. It's time for us to rethink the way we disciple our church members.

But that's at my church. Not every church will be in that situation. If you're not, be thankful. If you are, pray for God's direction. As we are experiencing, that direction may be a little uncomfortable.

18. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Due to their churches not having Sunday evening services, we have had many people from other churches in the area visit us on that night. Some liked what they saw and heard, and decided to join our church. We never encourage them to change churches, but we do make all feel welcome. Many Baptist churches in the area are dark on Sunday evenings, and seems to be a common practice of the SBC churches. Of course, the ones that visit are those that are looking to attend more than one service a week. We probably run about 70% of our Sunday morning attendance on Sunday evenings, and probably 50 - 60% on Wednesday evenings. We do get a lot of visitors on Sunday evenings.

19. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you don't have to be there every time they open the doors.

BUT, children do learn differently than adults, and at a different level. We do them a grave injustice not to provide learning opportunities that meet their needs.

Our church has totally revamped scheduling. When I was a child, it was the traditional model - 9:30 Sunday School classes for all, 10:45 Morning worship for adults, nursery for little ones, and Children's Church.

In our big city setting, with many cultures and family situations to minister to, we have gone with what works -
    9:30 classes for those adults who come, KidsPraise worship time for those kids who come. 10:30 - games for kids, as more arrive.
    10:45 Morning Worship, nursery for little ones, snack for kids as more arrive.
    11:05 kids split up into 3 age groups - K-1 straight thru till 12:15, and 2-3 and 4-6 in either craft or lesson, switching teachers halfway thru at 11:40.

So you might say we are having Sunday School for kids DURING church. Why? Because that's when they COME.