1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Class

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ChuckS, Jul 1, 2002.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS New Member

have a question, the Sunday School director has come to me asking to form a new Sunday school class. I pastor a small country church with average 30 in Sunday school. These are divided into the children-youth/college career-adult (all ages) to senior ladies classes. The biggest group is the adult classes with ages ranging from 40s to early 90s. I agree on the need of younger adult class, but the teacher of the existing class is a deacon, and when he heard of this he got real emotional (not mad really, just upset) he took it personal. I tabled the issue because it was a hill not worth dying for at the time. Now I have a new couple in church, also one of my members has said that she is not "comfortable" being in the current class because her mom and dad are also in that class. My question is how would you deal with this. Just put the class somewhere, talk to the deacons, church vote? I really don't know on this one.

Thanks

Chuck

2. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you need two adult classes? When do the elder get to interatc with the younger and teach as they are commanded when we separate them all the time. Adults can learn together. When I was in college we had classes of 30 or above and had folks from 18-60 in the same classes. The material was the same as it shouldbe in Sunday School. Appoint two activity directors. One for younger folks and one for older ones. Plan some activities that all ages would be interested in and also skiing for the younger and antique shopping for the older but make it know that all actvities are open to all. No need for multiple classes. Better 4 teachers for the adult class that rotate every 3 months than 4 classes.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree that the idea of divided classes for age groups among adults (young adults, married adults, senior saints) is a felt need and NOT something found in the Bible.

The whole concept of "graded" classes is of modern origin - public schools in big cities did not start these until 1830's, and out here in Wyoming, the rural schools STILL are not graded.

We, too, had about 35 adults from college age to seniors in my class today. Lots of deiscussion and debate, good study and interchange on Romans 6. And a good time was had by all! :rolleyes: