1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Lesson Question

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Aug 24, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our S/S lesson today was James 4:1-17. The lesson title was Submitting to God.

A question was raised about this scripture:

I think that James is speaking of our need for true repentance and humility. Does anyone else see this as anything other than confession of our sins, true repentance? Verse 10 seems to me to say that when we repent, God lifts us up through His forgiveness of those sins.

And how do you read THIS verse?
    Our teacher said this is not speaking of the Holy Spirit but some scholars say:

5. in vain--No word of Scripture can be so. The quotation here, as in Ephesians 5:14, seems to be not so much from a particular passage as one gathered by James under inspiration from the general tenor of such passages in both the Old and New Testaments, as Numbers 14:29, Proverbs 21:20, Galatians 5:17.
    spirit that dwelleth in us--Other manuscripts read, "that God hath made to dwell in us" (namely, at Pentecost). If so translated, "Does the (Holy) Spirit that God hath placed in us lust to (towards) envy" (namely, as ye do in your worldly "wars and fightings")? Certainly not; ye are therefore walking in the flesh, not in the Spirit, while ye thus lust towards, that is, with envy against one another. The friendship of the world tends to breed envy; the Spirit produces very different fruit. ALFORD attributes the epithet "with envy," in the unwarrantable sense of jealously, to the Holy Spirit: "The Spirit jealously desires us for His own." In English Version the sense is, "the (natural) spirit that hath its dwelling in us lusts with (literally, 'to,' or 'towards') envy." Ye lust, and because ye have not what ye lust after (James 4:1,2), ye envy your neighbor who has, and so the spirit of envy leads you on to "fight." James also here refers to James 3:14,16.
    Jaimeson, Fausset, Brown

Diane

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 20
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Exodus 34
    14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Zechariah 8
    2 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; I was jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I was jealous for her with great fury.

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my lesson plan this morning: