1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Material

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by steveo, Apr 1, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

How many use the southern baptist literature(lifeway), and are there any southern baptist out there that are using other material and why?

2. mioque

mioque New Member

"How many use the southern baptist literature(lifeway),"
    We usually don't. My churches sundayschool teachers make up their own curriculum out of numerous diverse sources. sometimes this leads to 'interesting' problems.
    Such as the time that they came up with the notion, that the pope walked around wearing a crown bearing a title that spelled that he was the Beast from the book of Revelations. :rolleyes:

So I had to take the whole sundayschoolclass on an excursion to a museum, that happened to have 3 Papal tiara's on display at that time to debunk that particular faerietale. [​IMG]

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Our SBC church is using LifeWay material for Sunday School. There is one exception - from time to time, the youth use material that I write up.

4. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

We are using Lifeway material for the adult classes but have gone to other material for children and preschool. The Lifeway material for children seemed very "outdated". I'm really not sure which curriculum the students are using.

We give the adult classes the choice of which series from Lifeway they want to use. Once a year, for one quarter, the adult classes can choose another curriculum from a list pre-selected by our staff, and it's not always Lifeway curriculum.

CJ

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You're so right, C.J. We still use Lifeway but had a questionnaire from them this past week and the teachers were talking about not only how dated the material is, but how non-age appropriate it is. This past Sunday I was to teach my 4 year olds about the sores on Nahum and his healing. I used other material I found on the internet.

Try to find a coloring picture to match some of these Bible stories!!

Diane

6. mioque

mioque New Member

"This past Sunday I was to teach my 4 year olds about the sores on Nahum"
    "Try to find a coloring picture to match some of these Bible stories!! "
    Eww!!

7. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

The church I just left used exclusively lifeway material for all classes.

I have heard from some who feel lifeway material to be very good, and some who find it to be seriously lacking.

As the teacher of the young adult class, I had to supplement much of the material they provided.

I have found that most prepared curriculum is much the same. It is meant to be supplemented and if the teacher spends a decent amout of time preparing it is all good.

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a Southern Baptist, but I'd like to put my vote in for Group's Faithweaver materials. Very innovative concerning interactive learning methods. Plus, the whole SS studies the same Bible story at their own level, and families can talk about it later!

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't use Lifeway for any adult classes, Union Gospel and Baptistway Press (produced by the BGCT) for them and the children use various sources, but none of it Lifeway. Reasons...well let's just say they use the Baptist Faith and Message 2000, and we as a church don't and leave it at that. We aren't using the Lifeway VBS stuff either, both myself and the VBS director found it offensive. Basically as a pastor I try and avoid Lifeway as much as possible.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regular Baptist Press (NON-SBC) out of Chicago is good quality material we opt for. Really like much of their adult subjects.

Their "quarterlies" are keepers and one could study a lot of the Scripture through them.

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

We are SBC and have used lifeway before but right now all adult classes are using Regular Baptist Press. We will give teachers a choice but I usually like the RBP material the best.

I agree with you Dr. Bob. Often I have looked up a passage in my collection of RBP quarterlies long after we used it in Sunday School.