1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Material

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zenas, Sep 28, 2010.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

A few months ago I was raked over the coals for even suggesting that SS was not designed to "go deep." I've always tried to set up SS to be open to anyone to come in and feel at home. We actually want the Biblically illiterate to come and learn. We want the lost to come into the classroom and feel comfortable. Go too deep and this can't happen. Ok, go ahead and rake me over the coals. I have a good tan and can take it.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

There is nothing stopping any given congregation from making some SS classes "closed" and then "swimming deep" into serious Bible study.

But, I also think that, by inference, we need to take care to consider Paul's admonition in 1 Cor 14 (yes, I know, about the use of tongues and prophecy) when teaching classes that outsiders may attend. Perhaps we ought not "swim deep" when what we say may be misconstrued by visitors. A "for instance" might be a great theological discussion about sovereignty/free will -- something that we ought to hash out in our churches, but a topic that would be confusing to someone not steeped in the Word and able to debate with brothers and sisters in humilty and respect.

3. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I would agree with you. One on one or small groups of believers is much more effective in teaching doctrine then the "shot gun" approach. It is also the only way to disciple new believers.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What you have done is provide milk for the babies and no meat for the more mature.
    Where are the more mature Christians supposed to get deep study at your church?

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Mature Christians, if they are mature, should be able to feed themselves. Only babies cry, "I want to be fed." Many want to learn more, go deeper filling themselves with knowledge but never sharing it, living it, etc. They are in essence, babies with knowledge; fat on the word of God but with no substance. Knowledge puffeth up..." Whenever someone starts crying "I want to go deeper" in a small group I encourage him or her to start a small group and to dig deep in preparation to share the word of God with anyone who may come into his or her small group.

6. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you expand upon that please? It has been a little over 4 years since I have been in a Sunday school class that has used LifeWay curriculum.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well I guess I'm a baby. I want to be fed when I'm in church and go deep into the scriptures. I don't want milk anymore. I don't know of anyone who wants to learn and not apply it. Just the opposite. It's the ones who don't live it or share it that don't want to know it.

What kind of small group would you recommend? Maybe a SS class? :)

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Then dig deep my friend. Where I come from SS is primarily organized to reach the lost and wayward and not to feed the mature. It may not be what some agree with and that's fine.