1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Teachers

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Kathy, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

How did you know that teaching Sunday School was your gift? Also, how do you know what to teach? Does the Pastor tell you what the study should be, or do you figure it out for yourself? Do you follow an organized bible study such as store bought books and such or do you shoot from the hip out of the Bible?

Signed,
    Enquiring Minds Want to Know
    a/k/a Kathy
    <><

2. preacher

preacher New Member

Kathy... I'm a preacher by calling, but it seems I do as much teaching so I'll answer what I can. I pray for guidance for a lesson the same as I do for a sermon, & the Lords'
    never let me down! I've never heard of a pastor giving directions as to what to teach, that should be between the teacher & the Lord. As to using things like quarterlies & such I don,t put much stock in them. I believe the teacher, much like the preacher should do his own studying. Let me clarify, most materials you buy for use
    can, & I say "can", not always "do" tend to make for a lazy teacher. If they can be used as another study guide or help then more power to them. Oh yea I Do teach our adult
    class,till the Lord calls, or sends someone to fill the role. But I love doing it,....
    almost as much as preaching his Word!!

3. John Wells

John Wells New Member

SBC Sunday Schools (adult Bible study) use Lifeway quarterly study guides. I've "taught"Suday School a good deal, and prefer to think of it as facilitating the class rather than teaching. The Holy Spirit can work wonders if we allow Him to use whomever He has chosen to speak through in a Bible study lesson. I learned the hard way as a SS teacher that it's not always me! Facilitate by guiding the discussion, asking soul-searching questions, bringing it back on track if necessary, but let the Holy Spirit work in the hearts of class members and speak through them! ;)

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: wellsjs ]

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wellsjs:
    SBC Sunday Schools (adult Bible study) use Lifeway quarterly study guides. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all do. My church teaches different subjects in different classes. (See our 9:45 adult class scheduleCurrently I am teaching exegetically through the book of Galatians.

5. Cyndib

Cyndib New Member

Hi Kathy,

At our church we all took a spiritual gifts test which really helped us to pinpoint our spiritual gifts.

We use a certain curriculum for the children's Sunday School and a different curriculum for the adult classes.

Personally I really like what Regular Baptist Press has to offer. For small children they has some wonderful flannel graphs that will really enhance the lessons.

As far as not knowing if teaching is your gift I think you pretty much will know once you have been teaching for a few weeks. I also believe that some gifts can be developed so you need to ask the Lord to show you in this area.

Cyndib ;)