1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Gigabyte71, sorry to see you think you are a mind reader. Did you see where I said I did or did not want students to think critically? Addressing the views of other, either spot on or mistaken is important to those who think others are more important than ourselves.

I recall one teacher who spent a great deal of time preparing and would deflect and evade in order to get through all his points. As the students were leaving the class, I overheard one remark he had no idea of what was said. :)

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wrong thread, sorry.

3. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

Van, didn't mean to offend. Reread what you wrote. I just thought it was interesting that you read into some of the comments that people were authoritative, just because they don't want to spend time on discussion.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I keep the lights on while I show the video so no one can see her very well.

And I've increased the bass in the sound system so she sounds like a man.

So far no one's complained.

And the video is quite submissive to my demands. [/sarcasm]

Rob

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that response is certainly a reasonable assessment of my post. Much wiser to ask what a person might have meant, rather then to assume he or she took a rather absurd view.

I can't tell you the number of times, someone posts "so you are saying, ..." and presents then some unbiblical and outlandish premise.

Here is my actual statement: Some are "top down" autocrats who think their position or training means they should tell others what the Bible's message is. Others, kinda like me, are more egalitarian, wanting to engage the audience, and challenge them to think critically.

There is an old saying, "if you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." :)

#25 Van, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  6. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

My church does not allow women to preach, but they can teach classes of other women, and children (male and female) up to the age of 13. My own Mother is our choir director, but no female holds a position of authority in matters of theology.

7. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats okay

8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's been my experience in SBC churches which use Lifeway "study" guides. Lesson Plan reciters who usually know about zero scripture, appointed as teachers.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what do we do about it?

Do teachers have proper training in being teachers.

This would be a great responsibility for Associations to undertake.

I just goggled training for Sunday school teachers and found several links. Here is one link:

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The church I currently attend doesn't have Sunday School.

We have two services. One is at 9:15, and the other at 10:45. During those services, we have children's classes birth through 5th grade. Then we have a middle school Bloc, and I think a high school class during the later service. The MSB and HSB can attend the other service. We also offer occasionally a class that lasts six weeks for adults periodically throughout the year. Or a periodic leadership class. During the week, we have Bible study/book study blocs.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the church needs to do a better job of teaching in general. Those "teachers" who don't know any scripture haven't been taught themselves.

But it's not only that. Those who haven't been taught are in that state because they haven't set themselves in a position to be taught.

At our church, we're having a huge problem with Sunday School. In the last couple of years, children have gone from about 25 down to 4 regularly.

Adults have gone from about 30 down to about 10 regularly.

The "worship" gang moved their practice from Saturday morning to Sunday morning before SS. So after practice, do they go to SS?

Nope. Out for breakfast, then back for "worship"

The guy running the sound, and his wife, "watch the auditorium" during SS. As if somebody's gonna steal something? Puh-leeze.

And she wants to teach a SS class now. Really?

I think the church needs to stop trying to make SS teachers, or trying to appoint them. Maybe a spiritual gifts assessment for prospective teachers? I don't know

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably better than being indoctrinated by you.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats pretty bad.:tear:

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right about that, brother.

15. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

At the church we attend, there are members who will drop their children off on Wednesday evening for the children's program, but rather than stay for the adult Bible study, they go somewhere else (home, shopping, dinner, etc.)

Then you always have the people, and I have seen this at a number of Churches, who only show up when they are doing something. They will show up if they are teaching, singing a special, etc, but can't seem to find time for Sunday School or Wednesday evening Bible study.

And then there is the other problem you mention, there doesn't appear to be any concern with if a person has the gift to teach.

Here are some other observations from personal experience.

1. Pastors who won't attend Sunday School - In my opinion, this sets a bad example and a bad precedence.
    2. Conflicting Schedules - Running an early "worship" service at the same time as Sunday School.
    3. Training offered, but refused - We had someone that had been teaching Sunday School for years who was willing to teach the teachers how to use the material, but no one could ever seem to make time to attend.
    4. No one checks these teachers out - I know Church is a volunteer organization, but that doesn't mean anyone can do anything. I know of a Church where everyone knew what was going on in one of the Sunday school classes, and it wasn't teaching the Bible, yet the 'elders' refused to deal with it.

16. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

Not sure how the rest of the country operates. But here in GA, SBC churches are generally part of a local association. It would be nice if they local association would have regular 'training' for SS teachers and if the churches would make it mandatory that anyone teaching SS need attend X number of times each year. Is that really all that much to ask someone who wants to teach God's Word to believers? Let me give an example below..

Let's say that the Association has a seminar 1 time every quarter on Saturday mornings. As a Church we say that you have to attend at least 1 seminar a year. Maybe it could be done via Skype, but I would say that it has to be done at the local church, if via Skype. I know for a fact that it is easy to log into a call and then just walk away.

And I would say that it doesn't have to be the same seminar every quarter, though I think every SS teacher should have to go through a basic teaching seminar or class.

17. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Paul Washer can speak at your church one day.

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I like that idea, actually. In my area of Georgia most of the smaller Baptist churches are in loose associations or truly independent, like mine. But we do fellowship and worship together, so putting together some type of teaching conference would be pretty easy.

A conference that offers instruction and advice on how to teach would be great. It would obviously have to be divided into age groups, because the teaching methods that work for a class full of adults won't work for a class full of 8-10 year olds. I've taught the teens class and the adults class at my church, and while the approach has been similar, I've found the adults far more likely to talk than the teens.

One thing I believe the SS class should allow for is questions. Some teachers just want you to take their word as gospel and never ask questions. Some teachers are, to put it bluntly, incapable of answering questions on the text they've just read. On the other hand, some people believe that they should never ask questions in church. So the teachers have to be learned enough to answer questions, and the students have to be willing to recognize that the teacher is just a fallible man (not using women as teachers in this example, as I don't believe a woman should exercise spiritual authority over men after a certain age [in my church, that age is 13 - so no women teach classes containing students over 13 years old, except for all-women classes]). The class must recognize that the teacher may get something wrong, so there should be the opportunity to discuss the lesson.

Personally, my teaching style has always been one of relating the history of the passage and revealing how I believe the Spirit has shown me how the passage relates to us today. I don't often go into the -ologies (eschat-, soteri-, ecclessi-), unless it is actively called for in the scripture. If necessary, I try to be as clear and concise as I can concerning exegesis and hermeneutics, admitting that sometimes it is my interpretation, and that my interpretation might differ from yours. My view is that we are going to differ on issues. So long as the preaching of the gospel in order to save lost souls is our primary concerns, then I believe we can work past some of the -ology differences we encounter.

What is your fascination with Paul Washer?

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

#39 Iconoclast, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  20. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never understood the dot dot dot posts. What's it supposed to mean?

You agree, disagree, bumping?

Wassup? You got input?