1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Superbowl OT

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Current rules state that a TD in OT automatically wins a game
    A FG would not be sufficient - ie the other team would get a chance to score.

So - what are your thoughts - should both teams get at least one chance to score?

Open for discusssion

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both teams should get a chance to score.

I think the current set up is lousy. It still depends too heavily on the results of a coin flip. If the team on offense scores a touchdown the game's over--the other team doesn't get a chance to run their offense. If they score a field goal the other team gets a chance to score. If they get a TD, they win. If they get a FG, the overtime continues. It's better than the old way where the first team to score--field goal or touchdown--won the game.

I like the college method for OT. Both teams get at least one shot on offense. Flip a coin. Winner of the flip decides if they want to defend or go on offense. The ball is put on the 25 yard line and the offense tries to score. Once they get their chance the roles are reversed and the other team is on offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By this point in the game yesterday, I think the Patriots were going to win regardless of the coin toss. But I have always had problems with the current OT rules - I think they should either make them play a full quarter, at the end of which, if tied, quit the game unless it's a playoff game - then just go to the next quarter until a quarter ends with a decision. That's the way they do every game in baseball but football is more punishing.

After four quarters, the offense and the defense are already exhausted. The opportunity for both teams to score would be a more acceptable option to me if both teams had a 15 or 30 minute break instead of going right out there again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree - both teams should have the ball at least once.

777 has a good point - how much time should be between 4th qtr and OT?
    Currently it is a 3 minute break.

Current rules of the NFL

#4 Salty, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1