1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supernatural Worldview

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TP, May 16, 2005.

1. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

What was the understanding of the supernatural world view at the time of Jesus(or I could say, What was the supernatural reality at the time of Jesus).

I know that God is creator of all and lord of all, and that he created everything good. However, when we read the scriptures it seems that Satan has somesort of dominion over the entire world. When he is tempting Jesus, he seems to be able to offer quite a bit, and Jesus does not challenge his ability to do this rather Jesus challenges other things.

It seems that Jesus enters a world controlled by satan. He is the Holy breaking through. He does exorcisms and seems to do battle against satan.

I ask because understanding how everyone understood supernatural power in the world would give theological insight to how Christ's death and resurrection transformed the situation.

Was Satan Totally routed, and now has NO power in the world? Is Satan still in power but Christians filled with the Holy Spirit are in the Kingdom of God within this evil world.

Paul continues to speak of evil, and principalities and the arrows of the devil, but the Spirit through Christ saves and protects us.

How would you describe the supernatural understanding immediately before Jesus, and then after Jesus.

peace

2. billwald

billwald New Member

The supernatural view was almost universal until the European Rationalists and the Reformation.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is the same pre and post-cross - except that Satan has been thrown down to earth and is very angry with the Christian followers of Christ.

I saw Satan fall as lightning – God’s people with power over demons pre-cross and post.
    Rev 12 – The “Accuser of our brethren” has been cast down. Woe to the earth

Rev 12: King of demons

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eph 6 “OUR warfare” is against the devil and we stand only by actively taking up the FULL armor of God and engaging him.

Rev 12 – Continues to wage war against the saints (after the cross even more so)

1 Peter 5Go about as a roaring lion –he is our adversary. We must resist the devil

James 4 – resist the devil and he will flee from YOU. We are subject to his torment if we do not resis.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Do we live in a physical world where we can trust or senses of observation or do we live in a mystical magical world like Amber?

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who is Amber?

My view is that God's Word in James 4, Eph 6, 1 Peter 5, Rev 12 --- "is correct".

In Christ,

Bob