1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Superscriptions in the Psalms

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, May 17, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

believe that part of the "Apostolic" authority granted to them by Jesus was just as God had granted unto OT prophets... That bothe Apostles/propheys themselves were inspired in their writings that became part of the Biblical text...
    NOT everything they uttered or wrote was inspired by god, BUT what was preserved for us in Canon was....

Would say that the Canon scriptures books were inspired directly in original versions, altering text amending it etc was not, but what was preserved for us is the "Gist" of the original texts, so would indeed be the Word of God to us for today!

In other words.... There are some small textual add ons, variants, mistranlations etc in any text that we have to translate from today, BUT on essential doctrine 100 % right on, as the minor points would be like in number amounts, a scribe inserting a verse etc, which DOES not affect the reliability, as "mistake free" is just reserved for originals!

PS Please refresh me on terms inspiration/inherrancy/revealtion, if you dont mind!

#21 JesusFan, May 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2011
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here’s some off-the-top-of-my-head definitions. Please feel free to correct or clarify these if you see any problems:

Inspiration – The influence of God upon the creation/editing of a text. The word comes from the 2 Timothy 3:16 which tells us that all scripture is inspired by God (literally “God-breathed” since the word for breath, wind, and Spirit is identical). There are various degrees of control/influence according to the nature of the text itself. For instance, the Ten Commandments were written by God on stone tablets, so there was nothing of the personality and/or experience of Moses in them. However in the New Testament Gospels and epistles, we can see the personalities of the writers expressed in the way they expressed the truth of God as well as the way they reported the acts of Jesus in different ways, emphasizing different aspects of the event.

Inerrancy – The doctrine that the scriptures (usually limited to the original autographs) contain no errors. Those who promote this view based this understanding on the idea that since the scriptures are “God-breathed,” they could not have contained any error at their inception since God could not breathe or speak error. Yet since scripture, both Old and New Testament, reveals a human element involved in the process, it seems clear to most scholars that the most scripture was not dictated to the human authors, but rather there was a certain latitude given for human expression. It must be stressed that allowance of human expression in the scriptures does not necessarily mean that there were errors of theology in the original manuscripts. Most conservative scholars believe that the authors of scripture were protected from error in the manuscripts prepared and preserved as scripture. However since many people who believe in inerrancy readily admit that our existing manuscripts contain corruptions and errors, the doctrine actually undermines the perception of the reliability of scripture unless one holds to a theory of divine preservation of scripture. Much of the King James Version Only movement is based upon this issue. As the thinking goes, if God is going to inspire His word, He will also certainly preserve it. And since there are textual variants, faithful believers have to make a choice as to which text is the true word of God. Since God wouldn’t leave the English-speaking peoples without a preserved word of God, the King James Bible is the most likely candidate. (That’s a gross over-simplification of the position, but I believe it is essentially correct.) NOTE: Just because a text is inerrant doesn’t mean it is special in any way. I write inerrant shopping lists all the time, but that only helps me when I go to the store.

Revelation – Revelation is simply God giving insight/understanding regarding a subject that would likely be unknowable without Divine initiative.

Instead of holding a view of inerrancy, I hold what I believe is a higher, stronger view of scripture.

Here are a few more definitions based on my position regarding the scriptures:

Reliable – The scripture, both in the original manuscripts and in accurate translations of the critical texts today, is reliable. The doctrines taught in scripture are trustworthy and the concepts taught by the words of scripture are valid. However, the scriptures are designed for people who seek God. Simply put, the scripture will not fail you if it is properly understood in the context of active and effective discipleship to Christ. If you are not an active and committed disciple of Christ, you may not have the guidance of the Spirit to help you appropriately interpret the scriptures and may well distort the scriptures to your own destruction (2 Peter 3:16).

Infallible – The scriptures will not fail to provide guidance and understanding to those who are committed disciples of Jesus, that is, people who are actively learning to live their lives the way Jesus lived His. Scripture is not designed to be a book of facts, a secret code to be cracked, a science book, a history book, an “owner’s manual”, or an object of veneration. While scripture may indeed be highly reliable outside of its Divinely-purposed areas, it is primarily designed to be a guide to devotion and discipleship for people who live their lives “with God.”