1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supreme Court gives win to Ten Commandments monument supporters

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WASHINGTON (BP)--In what some are calling a landmark decision that could impact religious monuments across the country, the U.S. Supreme Court Feb. 25 unanimously ruled that a Utah city can keep a Ten Commandments monument in a public park without being required to erect a monument for an unorthodox religious sect.

More Here

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, that totally confused me, and I had to read a couple of different news sources to figure that out.

What the ruling actually was, is that a government is allowed to pick-and-choose, and is not required to erect a monument requested by any/every Tom, Dick, or Harry.

The original argument was apparently, if the city in question retained its monument of the 10 commandments, then it should have a monument by any/all private organizations requesting such.

3. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I find crazy is the hipocracy of our government. In 2003, Chief Justice Roy Moore was removed from office for refusing to comply with federal regulation which violated the 1st Amendment. Judge Moore had every right to refuse to follow federal orders. He didn't back down an inch & for that I respect him.

What was even crazier is the federal courthouse which was just a few blocks down from where the Alabama state courthouse is has a statue of a goddess of justice. I think that we should have stormed the federal courthouse & tore that statue down.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. We follow Jesus Christ.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is good. :thumbs: