1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Supreme Court Rules Against ‘Straw’ Purchases of Guns

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that already covered under "aiding-and-abetting"?

Even if I give a weapon to someone with a record, if that person has "paid their dues" and never uses it to perform illegal acts -- why am I now a criminal?

And the last part of your post is the kicker: This law was meant to stop legal-to-illegal straw purchases; but it's now being used against families.

2. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know where the strawman purchase and aid/abet intersect, so I'll leave that to the lawyers. However, in many jurisdictions, a convicted felon cannot legally possess a firearm even if he's served his time and been clean for years afterward. One can logically argue that such a law is too harsh, but my giving a gun to such a person would still put me as breaking the law. (And some laws don't even require a felony. A friend was guilty of misdemeanor domestic abuse, was later pinched while hunting with another friend's gun, and a "crusading against domestic abuse" DA got the fellow put in a Federal pen for a year. No excuse for dom abuse and the guy should've known better than to carry the gun, but this seemed a bit much.)