1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Supreme Court: Same-sex couples can marry in all 50 states

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This decision was inevitable. So is the Government's use of it to harass the Church.

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So called positive rights always lead to more and more government intrusion. There was a reason the founding Fathers listed negative rights in the bill or rights not positive ones. Of course this county is experiencing Romans 1 judgement so it will just continue on the road to destruction.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you always do the answering a question with a question bit.

These things are all different things that have nothing to do with homosexual marriage. I couldn't do a polygamist marriage but if people want to try to manage that scenario then good luck to them. Marrying your daughter should be an obvious no no. Genetic issues first and foremost and then the risk of emotional distress and manipulation that comes with partnering with a parent. The only thing these three issues have in common are 1) They are outside of the Bible's instructions and 2) Salty doesn't like them.

I'm a Christian, so these things are things that we know are off limits lest we live in a constant state of sin. That being said, looking for the Government to mandate and enforce my faith for me is going to be an exercise in disappointment. Quite frankly, it's not their job and they cannot be in the business of treating a segment of it's population as second hand citizens. My life and my faith did not change in any way as of June 26, 2015. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and still be secure in the knowledge that I'm saved and following God's plan for the family. I'm not going to waste a single brain cell worrying about what complete strangers are going to do with this new found freedom. We are all going to be just fine.

An added bonus is that this issue altogether will be off the plate as a topic in the upcoming elections and maybe our politicians can focus on more important things.

4. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

God is not mocked. Seems like I remember that He destroyed a city over the sick sin of sodomy.

I fear for this nation. I think we are rapidly heading for God's judgment.

We are 18 trillion in debt, have spat in God's face on moral and ethical issues, the church is shallow and worldly.

5. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture say woe to you if all people speak well of you. As believers when we say I will never join the darkside you will be accused of being a hater not loving. Happen to me when a famous actors son was praising the desision today and he blocked me when I posted what God thinks about it on 1 Corintians. Too bad we use to get along till then.

6. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There isn't a country on this planet that has it right with God.

7. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"Regardless of people's convictions on homosexuality, that's neither here nor there, one of the primary things that is being exposed here is that "christians" are upset they have lost the ability to dictate what other people do.

We're exposing the truth - that we don't believe God can change people and lead people into all truth... (again OUR view of the truth) therefore we need the U.S. government to do it for us!

Nothing changes in the heart (or in the bedrooms) but at least people can't own a marriage certificate!! God forbid!! (Or do they mean Government forbid!!!)

Today makes me sad to be a Christian.

This isn't a discussion on homosexuality it's a discussion on do we the church believe in transformation by law or by grace...

And you know what. I'm appalled by the very obvious answer.

In the law we trust.

God bless American Christianity!"
    -Phil Drysdale

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I can't speak to that because I don't know. But I do know what has happened to this country.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Justice John Roberts: "It is striking how much of the majority’s reasoning would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage."

10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't care. My family will continue to serve the Lord. Full stop. That keeps me plenty busy. The United States Government is not now nor has ever been my moral or spiritual compass. I didn't lose anything today. Other people think they gained something.

11. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I think you lost more than you realize. You are a citizen of this country. You live here. All of us will be affected by this, one way or the other.

12. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Hey that's a great perspective.:thumbs:

13. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain to me then exactly what it is I lost today. The sun is going to rise tomorrow and I'm still going to be saved. The LGBT community wasn't created today folks, the US simply acknowledged that it's government probably shouldn't be in the business of interfering with two consenting adults decision to marry each other. I completely understand this decision. I also acknowledge homosexuality as a sin.

Today happened. It isn't going to unhappen.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The government. That's about all they have to hold over a church's head to try to "make" them do anything.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep. Preach the Gospel.:thumbsup: There's sin like this going on all over the world. I pray that folks in the church don't start acting like the world has ended over this.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What did we lose? Are you as a Christian going to view marriage as anything other than what GOD says it is?

The world has been saying that sin is not sin for a long time. So why should we do anything other than preach the word?

17. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual (at least for me), excellent points and excellent post but I see it as a takeover by the federal government over a states' right issue. DOMA was unconstitutional but now SSM is a mandate? Should've gone with the constitutional amendment.

And I don't see how this won't affect polygamy - they used the 14th - equal protection for bisexuals is consistent with this ruling and that's next. But, as you say, who really cares? Sin is sin and SCOTUS can't define that.

18. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be correct in a procedural sense but if we are looking at this topic as far as rights go, it isn't the Government telling Christians what they can and can't do. It's the Government telling Christians that their job is to ensure the equal rights of the citizens it represents and not to enforce the moral standards of the Christian religion. Hence my curiosity at why we always seem to look to the Government to mandate our morality for us. It has always been a lesson in futility. That being said, once everybody gets past the initial outrage today the other shoe is going to drop with regards to how the events of today unfolded.

From a Governmental standpoint, it's amazing it took this long for this to happen if I'm being honest. Good point in that polygamy could very well be the next hotbutton issue but I pretty much have the same thoughts regarding that as well. There isn't the same outcry on that particular subject thankfully. Most likely because most people (hetero or homo) prefer one mate.

Good post though 777.

#58 Use of Time, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  19. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen to that.

20. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

If you believe that the Constitution is important, then you lost something today. If you believe God's judgment comes, sooner or later, you will lose something. We all lost and will lose in the days to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.