1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sweep in Alabama uncovers vote buying, gambling corruption

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

This is a red-letter day in our state: The crooks got caught!

They've been busted red-handed--vote-buying, mail fraud, bribery, racketeering, etc.

http://topics.al.com/tag/bingo/index.html

Some big-time players are going down.

Word around here is, more may fall--including our spineless, gutless Attorney General, who is likely as dirty as the others.

The biggest fish is the local gambling boss, Milton McGregor. He's been neck-deep in organized crime for years, and between the teacher union boss and himself, they've bribed, bought, and owned the lion's share of our mostly Democratic legislature for decades. (However, the indictments included Republican and Independents as well, so this wasn't partisan--not to mention, this was an FBI/DOJ operation, not an Alabama one).

Hopefully, this will flip our bought-and-paid-for Legislature to one who works for the people. Things are looking up.

And I hope these losers spend the absolute maximum time in jail.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I've been hearing about this on political spots on the radio for about a year. So now they have got caught? I was reading a newspaper article a few years ago, about how many unions such as the NEA or the state branch and others who have got deep into this stuff. I don't care which party any of these folks are from, I would want the book tossed at them.

Here in our county the democrats went after a republican for over spending and miss used of county money. After audit found out every dine was used correctly as the democrats had ordered, they just over spend on the deal.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hopefully the book is in the process of being thrown at them.

Hard.

Overhand, with a good follow-through.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'd love to see Mr. McGregor's can tossed in the hokey. He is a slim ball who only cares about $'s.

5. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any one see the state democrat leader saying, the arrests were partisan against democrats, because the timing was just weeks before state elections?

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

They can say it, but they can't prove it.

McGregor's been dirty longer than I've been alive. I wondered how long it was going to be before the feds went after him after Larry Langford(ex mayor of Birmingham) was found guilty of a host of charges and part of the testimony in his case concerned a certain trip to McGregor's dogtrack where he "won" a good deal of money.

I am hoping for more arrests. There is a certain state house member in my that I don't get to vote for, but who worked for/defended the local bingo consortium, that I would love to see investigated. Of course, he's a democrat and we can't have the feds targeting Obama's party. :rolleyes: I'm hoping his part of the county votes him out in November at the very least.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Many old timers remember Pheonix City, Alabama only too well and this current mess reeks of the same kind of corruption that Montgomery turned a blind eye to for too long in the 1960's.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I could never understand the difference in Phenix City, Alabama and Columbus, Ga. Phenix City was one of the wildest places that I had ever seen and law enforcement was very selective on how the law or lack of law was enforced.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I was but a dream in my mother's thoughts at that time but it's still very well remembered to this day. I wonder how many commanders on Ft. Benning, in those wild west days, warned their soldiers not to cross over the river into Phoenix City? And, as we all know all that did was to encourage them to go exactly where they had been told not to go. I'm sure that many a young man lost his "innocence" in Alabama. What a great legacy for the city of Phoenix City to have and what a great legacy the gambling interests are leaving for our state.:tear:

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Only one problem with that: The investigation and raids were carried out by the Obama Justice department.

Kinda blows the "partisan" charge out of the water.

(swallows hard)...good job, DOJ. You did something right.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Anytime Democrats get into trouble they love to play the race card. The victim mentality is alive and well in the Democratic party.