1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Swimwear

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea but Jim, you said it doesn't matter what people wear, it's the heart.
    It is this false dichotomy that is the problem.

What people do on the outside is not unrelated to their heart on the inside.

You may not have meant to paint that dichotomy but it is what your words did.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, I agree but I'm also not going to hide the fact that I'm a woman. :) I don't wear stuff that exposes but I'll wear a nice v-neck. Hubby hasn't said anything to me so far so I'll guess they are OK! I have a few nice camisoles for when a top might be a little low cut so that I can wear the cami under it and it looks really cute. :)

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

How about these suits ladies? In my opinion, they are fairly modest, everything is covered up, yet they are attractive. What do you gals think?

[​IMG]

I have a teenage daughter, I wouldn't object to her wearing a suit like the one on the left.

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Actually it has nothing to do with "fundamentalism". I consider myself a fundamentalist in that I believe in the "fundamentals" of Biblical doctrine. That does not make me an extremist nor does it make me a legalist.

It does reflect on what many are redefining as "fundamentalism".

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are fine. If I were going on a cruise or something like - I might be convinced to wear a suit like this and be happy with it. If I were going to an all-girl water aerobics class, I would wear a more traditional one-piece.

Here's my issue.

The flesh should be covered decently. But it's impossible - unless a woman is in a giant bubble suit - to hide the female form.

The female form is not a wicked thing nor should we be made to feel ashamed of it or made to feel we have to hide it. We should cover it decently out of self-respect. We should not be made to wince and cower and constantly pull, bind, and tug and walk around in fear that a man might be looking at us inappropriately. God made women with a different body type than a man. As long as we are not wearing clothes whose purpose is to arouse - then I don't see why the burden of what goes on in a man's heart is constantly being put on our shoulders. A husband or a best female friend should feel comfortable in saying to us, "you know, you might want to rethink that dress." But ultimately - what goes on in a man's heart is his problem.

Why is it that we never talk about what men are supposed to be doing, saying, wearing, or thinking? We never talk about it - not their role in the home, the church, society, what they are to wear/not wear, say/not say, act, think, jobs that are eligible to them, their roles as father, or their household chores.

Those subjects never come up in religious conversations.

#45 Scarlett O., Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Strange, no one has referred to Scripture!

1 Timothy 2:7-12
    7. Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
    8. I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
    9. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
    10. But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
    11. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Now I realize that the Apostle supposedly did not like women. I also know that many on this Board subscribe to verse 12 above, why not the rest. After all Paul is only writing what the Holy Spirit instructed!

And now to the Apostle Peter as he records the Word of God.

1 Peter 3:1-7
    1. Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
    2. While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
    3. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
    4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
    5. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
    6. Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
    7. Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Now I don't go to the beach. It is just sand and dirty water and semi nude people!

On reflection, what has changed in the last 100 years? At that time women at a public beach wore swim suits more discrete than those referenced in the OP. And NO, I didn't go to beaches then either!

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are correct. Men get a free pass all the time. It is far more difficult to be a woman than a man, especially if you are a Christian. I have six daughters, so I like to believe I am a little more sensitive to this than most men.

And there are absolutely bathing suits men should not wear as well!

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Those are pretty cute!! I think the black one looks a little long but I'd have to see a few angles to judge it well. The pink one is adorable!!

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it could be because the scripture that you are citing has nothing to do with bathing suits, dresses, pants, or any other type of clothing that a woman might wear.

Men were charged with exalting God's Name (by the lifting of hands) and refraining from doubts and fighting with each other.

Women were charged to NOT think of their outward fancy and costly apparel, but to display "modest apparel". What was that modest "clothing"? Shamefacedness (which has nothing to do with being ashamed), sobriety, professing godliness, and good works. THAT's the modest clothing of a Christian woman. Even if one COULD make an argument that this is all about a woman's physical clothing, then the opposite of what Paul says to avoid is NOT "covering up", but wearing clothes that do not say, "look how wealthy and important I am".

8. I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
    9. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
    10. But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

2. While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
    3. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
    4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

And this passage says the same thing. It says that the fancy hairdo and expensive jewelry is not what will impress a husband who is lost. What will impress him is her chase conduct and her Jesus-like (meek) spirit which God considers very important.

There is nothing in either one of these passages about the length of one's skirt or pants vs. dresses or style of bathing suit.

#49 Scarlett O., Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  10. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Maybe, because, like me, their wives pick out their clothes for them??? LOL I don't know about the rest of the ladies but my DH is color blind and fashion challenged. He'd wear a red striped shirt with green checked pants!!! LOL

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Oh, no!! He does need your help then! :flower:

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most sensible post in this thread. Good job.

13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, Ladies.

The "extra clarification" is the teaching moments that Godly women should discuss together with the younger.

We all understand that men are stupid when it comes to womanly allures, hence the lure of the sirens song and the "silly" women of proverbs.

It is also no secret that fashion dictates the opposite of biblical modesty, but in every "area" seeks to enhance the "allure" of the curves and body of the woman. A woman can be completely "covered" and yet through style and fit, enhance the appearance in such a way as to appear desirable. There is nothing quite practiced as a woman's walk, sway, tip of the head, ... before mirrors and peers.

The question(s) should be considered among the Godly Women who are to guide the young, if enhancements are Godly and righteous; if they are, then to what degree "enhancements" can be used before vanity becomes vane.

It is good to see you married women discussing these things among yourselves, and I assume share with the young women of the assembly, too.

Unfortunately, the amount of "skin" being the issue has taken the focus off the real problem that Godly women are to discuss rather than preachers foam.

Godly women helping the younger understand the natural attractions, and give wise instruction and wisdom are not to wait until asked. They should actively seek out and even hold girl sessions (especially with the less parented girls) upon the necessity of modesty and discussion of fashion as it applies to the believer.

BTW, embarrassingly, real men actually don't know much about how to deal with breasts or any other matters when it comes to women. Masculinity obliges men to be highly territorial and barbaric around women and more so if there is belonging involved. The more cave in the man it seems the more women desire and flirt for the attention of that man. So, no, I wasn't talking about binding, or anything of that sort.

One other bit of advice. Please, don't wait for hubby to say something. He isn't prepared along those lines. Any man who has been married to woman for more than a week knows that compliments and agreement are THE most important part of keeping peace in the home. If you expect him to say, "Honey that ..... isn't appropriate," you really need to examine the expectations.

Real men would consider anything the wife does as perfect, for they married the absolute very best of all women in the world - at least I did. :flower: :love2:

I don't know for what the rest had to settle - second best??? :saint:

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, come to rethink it, my original post said "Amish at the beach". but that's not quite accurate because of the color red in the photos.

Someone should put out a catalog of Amish swimwear, with optional colors: black, light gray, dark gray, medium gray. :)

15. Ed B

Ed B Member

My initial reaction was that I had been redirected to a United Pentecostal holiness website. They have been on top of this issue for decades. :)

#55 Ed B, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  16. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

cute! The black one looks very similar to the ones I was talking about in my first post that my friends have. Theirs is slightly longer and has a little more covered on the shoulder but very cute.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

not me, I have a great fashion sense, in fact my wife seeks out my opinion...but doon't tell anyone, Luke might think I'm effeminate. :)

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I must too, the ladies like the suits I picked. La de da!

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

How about this suit for the fellas girls? Not too modest, but at least everyone knows you are a Christian.

[​IMG]

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do you mean...hes covered from head to toe? Body hair is a covering, no? :)