1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sympathy for the Arminian

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Protestant, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

There is only a chasm amongst those who dig one. In my church I am more of a four pointer. My youth pastor seems to lean more toward five. We get along just fine. Now on this debate board there are some ugly folks on both sides who need to be taken to the wood shed and taught some manners. :tonofbricks:

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's unfortunate. Calvin's Institutes is a classic of both Christian scholarship and Western Civilization.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't take these pretenses of institutional religion seriously anymore. All these groups take for granted that they speak for God (without acknowledging that what is said is often ideologically motivated & culturally conditioned).

I guess if we have to divide, why couldn't we divide over who was doing a better job of feeding widows & orphans?

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible is a greater classic and final in its authority while Calvin and His institutes is just another example of uninspired religious literature. I am not a followr of Calvin or any other uninspired man.

However, I have taken theology in college and Seminary and am well aware of the various differences between Calvinists. I just like Paul on this subject much better.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. However, "uninspired" is not the same as "uninstructive".

You don't have to be a "follower" of a man to be a well read and well studied man.

6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, I see your point. But I am a well read man even if Calvin's Instittues is not among the books I have read. I don't think you need to read every book to be a well read man. If so, then no man is a well read man as no man has read all books. I have nearly 3000 books in my personal library and every one of them I have either read or repeatedly use (reference works).

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you need to read every book, either, but Institutes was so influential on our culture, touching on everything from theology to economics to the foundations of liberty, I would think it would kind of important.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Falsehood Cornucopia

Calvinists must construct strawman argument like this one to hide the truth, Calvinism view of God is found nowhere in the Bible. Does God provide the opportunity for mercy to all? No, some have so hardened their hearts, like the first soil of Matthew 13, they cannot understand the gospel, others never even hear the gospel. So strawman argument #1.

Strawman argument #2. All men who behold Christ high and lifted up are drawn by the lovingkindness of God, who sent His Son to die for all mankind.

Strawman argument #3 God chooses people for salvation through faith in the truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

Strawman argument #4. This assertion misrepresents Arminianism, Arminians embrace all men have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, that worldly position, wealth, well born, or power counts for nothing toward God's election for salvation, 1 Corinthians 1:26-30.

Strawman argument #5 Jesus died for us while we were still sinners, and thus before we trusted in Him, and before God credited our faith as righteousness, Romans 4:4-5,24.

Strawman argument #6 God chose the poor to the world, yet rich in faith, keeping His promise to those who love Him, James 2:5.

Strawman argument #7, Jacob was chosen conditionally, so the older would serve the younger, and were not elected for salvation, however they were elected during their lifetime.

Strawman argument #8, God's individual election of Jacob occurred during Jacob's lifetime, just as every one of God's individual elections for salvation occurs after we have lived without mercy 1 Peter 2:9-10, and after our faith has been credited as righteousness, 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

Strawman argument #9, if God can elect individuals before creation, He can elect foreseen individuals with foreseen faith based on foreseen Prevenient Grace. So the argument is specious, though our individual election for salvation actually occurs during our lifetime, James 2:5.

Strawman argument #10, Regeneration means to be made alive, and this occurs when a person is put in Christ, thus we are made alive together with Christ, Ephesians 2:5. The "effectual call" is a Calvinist fiction, found nowhere in scripture.

Strawman argument #11, grace is a gift bestowed as an expression of love, and is never owed, merited, or deserved.

Strawman argument #12, goes so far into absurdity, it demeans God.

Strawman argument #13, God holds men accountable for their deeds, not predestined but volitional, just as Adam's was.

He is a just God who gives to every man exactly what he deserves - justice, or He gives to some men what they do not deserve - mercy.

Calvinism must resort to fabrication and disinformation because if the doctrine is presented accurately, its inherent absurdity would be obvious to all.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is a wonderful book, just skip Part XII, chapters 21-24. :)

#49 Van, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judging by your posts, you may have trouble with the big words.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And misrepresenting people's beliefs is bad, right Van?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently you don't think so as you do it daily.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JohndeereFan, you like to ask questions that imply ignorance or malfeasance. Circumlocutions do not really hide prevarications. Empty suits give themselves away, attacking the qualifications and character of an opponent, as slyly as possible, demonstrating malice rather than benevolence.

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words, you got caught and now you're lashing out in order to distract us from your hypocrisy.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Johndeerefan, in other words you are caught and are lashing out to distract from your malfeasance.

What is the title of Part XII? Tick tock

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just another claim of a deserved election that obviously isn't there. No where in the Bible does it ever show an elect gentile. As far as not being able to hear. Please explain How Cain was able to speak with God that is him being dead and all.
    MB

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists must construct strawman argument like this one to hide the truth, Calvinism view of God is found nowhere in the Bible. Does God provide the opportunity for mercy to all? No, some have so hardened their hearts, like the first soil of Matthew 13, they cannot understand the gospel, others never even hear the gospel. So strawman argument #1.

Strawman argument #2. All men who behold Christ high and lifted up are drawn by the lovingkindness of God, who sent His Son to die for all mankind.

Strawman argument #3 God chooses people for salvation through faith in the truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

Strawman argument #4. This assertion misrepresents Arminianism, Arminians embrace all men have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, that worldly position, wealth, well born, or power counts for nothing toward God's election for salvation, 1 Corinthians 1:26-30.

Strawman argument #5 Jesus died for us while we were still sinners, and thus before we trusted in Him, and before God credited our faith as righteousness, Romans 4:4-5,24.

Strawman argument #6 God chose the poor to the world, yet rich in faith, keeping His promise to those who love Him, James 2:5.

Strawman argument #7, Jacob was chosen conditionally, so the older would serve the younger, and were not elected for salvation, however they were elected during their lifetime.

Strawman argument #8, God's individual election of Jacob occurred during Jacob's lifetime, just as every one of God's individual elections for salvation occurs after we have lived without mercy 1 Peter 2:9-10, and after our faith has been credited as righteousness, 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

Strawman argument #9, if God can elect individuals before creation, He can elect foreseen individuals with foreseen faith based on foreseen Prevenient Grace. So the argument is specious, though our individual election for salvation actually occurs during our lifetime, James 2:5.

Strawman argument #10, Regeneration means to be made alive, and this occurs when a person is put in Christ, thus we are made alive together with Christ, Ephesians 2:5. The "effectual call" is a Calvinist fiction, found nowhere in scripture.

Strawman argument #11, grace is a gift bestowed as an expression of love, and is never owed, merited, or deserved.

Strawman argument #12, goes so far into absurdity, it demeans God.

Strawman argument #13, God holds men accountable for their deeds, not predestined but volitional, just as Adam's was.

He is a just God who gives to every man exactly what he deserves - justice, or He gives to some men what they do not deserve - mercy.

Calvinism must resort to fabrication and disinformation because if the doctrine is presented accurately, its inherent absurdity would be obvious to all.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Now you've gone and done it. Poor old Jack will have to dust off his dictionary. :laugh:

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I presume it's dogeared and worn out from having it next to his KJV.

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This post reminded me of centuries ago students in debate class would think that part of winning was who could command the use of the larger multisyllabic words. I loved it when the judges awarded the win to one who used the simplest of terms. :)

Van, that isn't meant to be taken as a criticism, but the dusty memory of the past brought to my mind brought a smile to which I thank you. :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.