1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T-shirt transfers ... inkjet v. laserjet

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by PJ, May 24, 2007.

1. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will T-shirt transfers work if printed on a laserjet printer? The transfers I have mention inkjet but I didn't know if that means exclusively. Thanks ...

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

They will work, at least the ones I tried years ago did.

Can I ask you, are you printing 1 or 2 shirts, or several? The reason I ask is because home transfers not not good. They generally don't last long in washing, they fade. The "transfer" the whole sheet and not just what is being printed to they end up stiff and uncomfortable.

Two summers ago, I wanted to print some shirts for my company and screen printing was too expensive, so I looked into home tranfers and didn't like the results. I ended up getting a heat press and have my tranfers printed and then I heat transfer them to my garments. It's the exact same process of a screen printed shirt without the mess and cost. I just printed 200 shirts for our church using their design and the average cost per shirt was less then $3 and that price included the price of the shirt.

Anyways.. The reason I mention all of this is if you're just messing around at home with a shirt of two, then yes it will work. If you're looking for more shirts or something that you can give away to people without the worry of giving them "cheap junk" then look into heat transfers. PM me and I can give you some contact information, artist, printer, shirts etc.

Take care,

Jamie

3. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Jamie,

I'm printing several transfers, but for someone else. My inkjet printer is having issues so I went ahead and printed one from a laserjet to see if it would work. There was a little fleck that popped off the transfer after I printed it, perhaps from the heat? I think they gave me 10 transfers; I don't want to ruin them. Maybe I'll toy again with the inkjet - I don't know why it doesn't want to cooperate. ;)

Thanks for your help, sir ...
    - PJ

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hiya!

Curious.. Are all the designs single color?

As a far as the transfer coming apart after you iron it on, it has a lot to do with the iron and how hot it gets. A home iron doesn't get as hot as a heat press. The heat needs to get hot enough to fuse the transfer into the cloth. A home iron generaly don't get hot enough for that to happen.

One other reason, and I am only guessing here, if your design is 'heavy' in ink in that spot, your home transfer maybe not be able to hold that much ink to the cloth with the transfer material. The way I do it now with a heat press and a screen printed transfer, the inks themselves get fused into the fabric, so even a 'heavy' design will hold for years. When you're printing a design on a home transfer sheet, the sheet and transfer material might not be able to withstand such a heavy design.

I am sorry I can't help you more. If you're were close by I will help you do with here with the heat press and a screen printed transfer.

If this is something they will want more of, or if you're doing more than 12+ PM me and I will get you in contact with someone that might be able to help for cheap.

Jamie

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Jamie,

The photos are 50-75 years old. After scanning, they printed pinkish on a color printer so I Photodeluxed them to b/w. The prints were much improved. They're mostly gray scale and the ink is not heavy. The older couple I'm making the transfers for are using them somehow at their family reunion (a game or something). The gentleman's brother has a heat press to iron them on with -- how handy is that? I've done the iron thing in the past and you're right; it's impossible to evenly heat a transfer with an iron.

You are most gracious, sir. I will speak with the owners to see if they would be interested in an alternative plan and get back with you if so. Thanks so much for your help. You are appreciated! :wavey:

- Pam