1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T.V. Commercial: United Church of Christ

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Mar 19, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Has anyone else seen it? 'Jesus didn't turn anyone away and neither do we'....
    It begins with 'bouncers turning away people at other churches'.

You can watch it here:
    http://ucc.org/

Families hugging and holding hands. Two men holding hands with shoulders all up against each other. Two women in a half embrace holding hands.

Made me sick to my stomach!

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link and the information. I have not seen the commercial here. You said it all, Diane.

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I've seen it Diane!!! It was disgusting! It's almost as if they were saying, "Come to our church to flaunt your sins!"

It's just another reason why our world is in the shape it is in. Churches will not preach against sin and they just want to make everyone happy.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yup, I seen it. Very disgusting!

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Seen it, disgusting, they are saying no one is responsable for their sin, you are fine as you are. While I do not think we should turn away anyone from intering church whose interested in hearing the gospel, thats not what their commercial is saying, they are saying they are acceptable to God just as they are.

6. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

We have a United Methodist Church in town that is extremely liberal...he's a link to there misson statement. http://www.travispark.org/loveandjustice.asp They had a billboard that had something similar to those commercials.

It had sonething like "No fire and brimstone here" or something like that. It's just a sign of the times...sad to say.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Christianity Lite" used to be 25% less guilt.

Guess NO GUILT is the newest fad in man-centric religion. :(

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Christians ever hope to reach those that feel "comfortable" in that type of religious atmosphere, Christians are going to have to get over the disgust we feel about their behavior, whatever it is. Christians need to see them as an individual the way Jesus saw them, people in need of in need of the Good News that he can bring to there life.

9. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I hope that our church is welcoming to any and everyone who wishes to attend. I also hope that our church preaches the Truth so that God can do a redeeming work in their lives, cleansing them from all unrighteousness. This refers to homosexuals, prostitutes, unmarried couples living together, gamblers, drunkards, etc.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Diane

That is a sick commercial then ... gives me the creeps.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That type of religious atmosphere ..... ???
    Churches that turn a blind eye to sin or appear to endorse such sins are those spoken of all through Revelation.

Diane

12. ScottEmerson

Welcoming sinners to church doesn't mean that we are turning a blind eye nor endorsing sin. We have to welcome them, then confront them with the Truth.

I agree with go2church here.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Did you watch the commerical Scott? It certainly seems to endorse their lifestyle. To bring them into church under false pretense and then preach that they're bound for hell or an abomination would be much worse than welcoming them to your church when they come sans commercial. The UCC is implying they're welcome 'just as they are'.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree the commercial isn't just welcoming people to come hear the gospel and have their sin forgiven, and lives changed by Christ. They are approving the lifestyle, with no need of change, acceptable as is.
    Anyone of any particular sin (all sin no matter what it is) should be welcome to attend church and hear the gospel, but not told thay can stay as they are and be acceptable to Christ.

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wasn't awfully surprised since the UCC has been flagrantly flaunting its endorsement of sin for many years now. With their churches dying we'll see how long they last...particularly since homosexuals can't reproduce children...

16. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

So, homosexual behavior does not disgust you?

17. yabba

yabba New Member

I have never seen anyone turned away at the door of our church, but I have seen people leave in frustration when our preacher preached Biblically against divorce, homosexuality, sexual immorality, etc. I really don't know why they were shocked the sign out front and in back both told what he was preaching.
    If someone doesn't believe that the sin of homosexuality or the like should be preached on, find an ex-homosexual and ask him/her. I am positive they will tell you different.

18. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

That's another problem with the ad. It seems to imply that other churches turn homosexuals away. I know of no church that would do so. They might not return after hearing what the Bible says about their behavior...or they may repent and be saved.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Not only homosexuals but blacks, hispanic, a guy in a wheelchair, etc. :(

This commercial is on numerous times a day here. It's a very hateful (toward other churches) and untrue ad.

20. ScottEmerson

I'm from the South. Way too many churches down here have held hostile attitudes towards blacks, Hispanics, and homosexuals.

Be honest, if you had three women who were easily identified as prostitutes who walked in and sat on the second row of your church, what percentage of your church members would be walking up to them and welcoming them, saying they were glad they were here?

I did go to a church in Winston County, Alabama one time in college where the pastor was very, very open about his view on black people from the pulpit. They were not to attend his church - they had their own churches to go to. They should stay separate.